Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Results 376 to 400 of 405
  1. #376
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Posts
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    I've been toying with the idea of taking on a few coaching clients.
    There'd be two options.

    1. Consultation (One time meeting / cost)
    Essentially a one-time meeting that could be used for anything the athlete wanted. This could be used to create a training plan (3-6 months), to educate the athlete, to answer questions and get advice etc. Essentially a way for someone to get solid guidance tailored to them. If any updates were needed or the plan runs out, another meeting to check-in and re-up. I'd work with an unlimiting number of people for these.

    2. Monthly coaching (recurring meetings).
    This would be traditional coaching with weekly check-ins and updates to the plan. This is a much more hands-on approach that is fully customized to the athlete. Additionally Monthly check-ins to have more in-depth conversations about anything the athlete wants to cover. I would take on 3-4 athletes for this and would be looking for a 6+ month commitment. This will be a premium service as I don't like to do anything half-assed.

    Would anyone be interested in these services? I'm trying to gauge interest across contacts to see if it's worth creating a side-business around this. Probably up and running by the end of the year if so.

    As always, the BS I spew on here will always be free and sometimes factual.
    Both a non-mag buddy and I would possibly be interested in option 1, assuming there was was a follow-up check-in somewhere along the way.

  2. #377
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    183
    Just wanted to give a quick shoutout to climberevan and XTRpickels for their awesome advice. I did my 62 mile race yesterday and I finished 20 minutes under my goal time WITH a mechanical that ate up about 20 minutes. I think the V02 max intervals I added in over the past month really paid off, and it was cool to see what a little structured training can add to my fitness.

  3. #378
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    5,716
    Quote Originally Posted by meepmoop24 View Post
    Just wanted to give a quick shoutout to climberevan and XTRpickels for their awesome advice. I did my 62 mile race yesterday and I finished 20 minutes under my goal time WITH a mechanical that ate up about 20 minutes. I think the V02 max intervals I added in over the past month really paid off, and it was cool to see what a little structured training can add to my fitness.
    Great job!

  4. #379
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tahoe-ish
    Posts
    1,772
    Sweet! You did the work and benefited from it. It's a great feeling, but I'll warn you: it's addictive...
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

  5. #380
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,269
    edited previous post for clarity:

    Where do you all ride when you're doing a long, zone 2 effort? At the top end of zone 2 watts? Or more in the middle of the range? Is either better than the other?
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 10-14-2021 at 05:57 PM.

  6. #381
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tahoe-ish
    Posts
    1,772
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    edited previous post for clarity:

    Where do you all ride when you're doing a long, zone 2 effort? At the top end of zone 2 watts? Or more in the middle of the range? Is either better than the other?
    I just listened to a big interview with Stephen Seiler (of polarized training fame) and it confirmed what I've been thinking since getting a smart trainer.

    The erg mode makes it easy to just pin yourself at the very top end of Z2, but that's actually pretty fatiguing, IMO. A real ride that targets Z2 would be way more stochastic, even if it averages the same. I believe that this is less likely to result in the kind of fatigue that polarized training is trying to avoid.

    My protocol for endurance trainer rides is to set it 10-20 watts below the top end of Z2 and do very short bursts now and then just to keep it interesting. Ride time being equal, to think this works better for me. Of course, if you're doing low volume training, you'll prob need to stay a little higher in the range, but you won't be in as much danger of doing too much.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

  7. #382
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,269
    I'm in total agreement there - I spent so many rides in Zwift doing z2 rides that were all pegged to the top of my z2 output because they'd come in via Training Peaks that way. I never really thought about them as being tiring/maybe counterproductive, but I just switched over to TrainerRoad and their z2 approach mirrors what you're doing. They keep me more in the middle of z2 with a few micro-intervals intervals up and down during the workout. Def feels slightly less fatiguing (and far more interesting) vs Zwift. Not that any of that is really a fault of Zwift.

  8. #383
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    874
    So are you saying turn ERG off and ride a bit below the stated watts?

  9. #384
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,269
    I'm still using ERG, but yes, I'm digging TrainerRoad's z2 workouts that fluctuate throughout my z2 range, but never really touch the top of my z2 watts. But, I don't know the science behind a lot of this stuff so I don't know if that's "better" or not.

  10. #385
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    5,716
    Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I just listened to a big interview with Stephen Seiler (of polarized training fame) and it confirmed what I've been thinking since getting a smart trainer.

    The erg mode makes it easy to just pin yourself at the very top end of Z2, but that's actually pretty fatiguing, IMO. A real ride that targets Z2 would be way more stochastic, even if it averages the same. I believe that this is less likely to result in the kind of fatigue that polarized training is trying to avoid.

    My protocol for endurance trainer rides is to set it 10-20 watts below the top end of Z2 and do very short bursts now and then just to keep it interesting. Ride time being equal, to think this works better for me. Of course, if you're doing low volume training, you'll prob need to stay a little higher in the range, but you won't be in as much danger of doing too much.
    Agreed.

    my ERG Base rides fluctuate between 68-72% of threshold after a lower intensity warmup. This puts me, on average 10-12 w below threshold but with fluctuations that do not exceed base wattage

  11. #386
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Pickles:

    I'm really curious what your thoughts are about beta alanine. I started taking 3 g/day about 2 months ago and wish I had discovered it years ago.
    Pickels, DTM, Bean, et. al - what are your dosage and frequency recommendations for BA? Also, how do you dose relative to workouts (2 hours before, after, etc.)? I just bought a bottle of 120x 750mg capsules. The bottle recommends "Take 3 capsules 2 to 3 times daily with water. For best results, allow at least 2 hours between doses." This site has some thoughts - with links to studies, it appears - but would love input from the Mags. Thanks in advance.

  12. #387
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,269
    I do 3g/day in one dose (mixed with water) whenever I think of it. I read the effects are cumulative and not immediate so I don't time ingest to a ride. Actually, this time of year I purposely avoid taking it before rides as I find the tingling feeling even more annoying when I'm riding in the cold.

    Edit to add - FWIW I started taking it when it was mentioned here (August maybe?) and since set PR's on stuff I ride a lot and got bumped from B to A in zwift. Are those things a result of b/a? Impossible for me to say. I'd guess there are bigger factors at play than just b/a, but I'll likely keep taking it as it feels like it could be helping, and I don't see any downside to ingest (other than the annoying tingling feeling).
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 10-22-2021 at 11:13 AM.

  13. #388
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    14,935
    I take 1 tsp (about 4.5 g) daily with breakfast. Studies show that it's safe to take up to 6 g/day so I pull back from that a little just out of an abundance of caution. You need to take it every day or close to it and I don't think timing relative to workouts really matters. It takes about 4 weeks to fully saturate your carnosine stores. Splitting up the doses reduces the paresthesia if you find the tingling uncomfortable, but it's totally harmless. Taking it with food also reduces the tingling since it absorbs slower.

    Powders will be cheaper than capsules. I just ran out of the bag I bought from BulkSupplements and decided to try Carnosyn as Pickles recommended. It's about twice the price of the BS stuff, but that means it's $0.30/dose instead of $0.15/dose so still really cheap. I'll report back on whether there seems to be any difference.

  14. #389
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,863
    Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Pickels, DTM, Bean, et. al - what are your dosage and frequency recommendations for BA? Also, how do you dose relative to workouts (2 hours before, after, etc.)? I just bought a bottle of 120x 750mg capsules. The bottle recommends "Take 3 capsules 2 to 3 times daily with water. For best results, allow at least 2 hours between doses." This site has some thoughts - with links to studies, it appears - but would love input from the Mags. Thanks in advance.
    I take 1tsp (3-5g? I don't own a drug scale so not sure) daily around workouts, usually after but sometimes right before, timing isn't supposed to matter but I figure uptake will likely be better if it's right around a workout. Get powder once you're done with the pills, it's a slightly sweet flavor that's inoffensive on its own and unnoticeable in a smoothie or protein shake. I get it from bulksupplements, I'd be happy to spend more on a carnosyn branded version if they could produce head to head studies showing that it is measurably better than generic but I haven't seen that yet.

    examine.com is a great website for supplement data analysis, here's their BA page:
    https://examine.com/supplements/beta-alanine/
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

    throughpolarizedeyes.com

  15. #390
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    14,935
    Carnosyn top, Bulksupplements on the bottom. No difference in taste or subjective effects. I'd say save your money and stick with BS.

  16. #391
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,166
    Thanks, all. I started feeling the tingling last night and thought I was tripping on...something?...before I remembered I took the BA.

  17. #392
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    I've been toying with the idea of taking on a few coaching clients.
    There'd be two options.

    1. Consultation (One time meeting / cost)
    Essentially a one-time meeting that could be used for anything the athlete wanted. This could be used to create a training plan (3-6 months), to educate the athlete, to answer questions and get advice etc. Essentially a way for someone to get solid guidance tailored to them. If any updates were needed or the plan runs out, another meeting to check-in and re-up. I'd work with an unlimiting number of people for these.

    2. Monthly coaching (recurring meetings).
    This would be traditional coaching with weekly check-ins and updates to the plan. This is a much more hands-on approach that is fully customized to the athlete. Additionally Monthly check-ins to have more in-depth conversations about anything the athlete wants to cover. I would take on 3-4 athletes for this and would be looking for a 6+ month commitment. This will be a premium service as I don't like to do anything half-assed.

    Would anyone be interested in these services? I'm trying to gauge interest across contacts to see if it's worth creating a side-business around this. Probably up and running by the end of the year if so.

    As always, the BS I spew on here will always be free and sometimes factual.
    Target NICA?. When my kid hit puberty and started hitting podiums, I could have used someone like you, with a level of depth beyond his father trying to give half assed advice.

  18. #393
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,269
    Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Thanks, all. I started feeling the tingling last night and thought I was tripping on...something?...before I remembered I took the BA.
    "Oh cool my face and entire body feel like they're starting a severe allergic reaction. Should be fine; some dudes on the internet named Pickles and Dan said it'll make me faster."

  19. #394
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,166
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    "Oh cool my face and entire body feel like they're starting a severe allergic reaction. Should be fine; some dudes on the internet named Pickles and Dan said it'll make me faster."
    ...exactly!

  20. #395
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Evergreen Co
    Posts
    637
    Any favorite trainers that work with boost 148 spaced bikes? Im thinking direct drive and will probably just default to a kicker unless someone steers me away.

    I can get a year long peloton member covered by my health insurance but Iím fairly judgemental of the product and donít love the resistance knob. Iíve looked used and I could get one locally for a little under $1000. So if thatís a better option I could get onboard with it.

    Iíve realized if I want to be fast a trainer is the next logical step. Itíll let me ride in the evenings after work in the winter when itís cold/dark/snowy.

  21. #396
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Any favorite trainers that work with boost 148 spaced bikes? Im thinking direct drive and will probably just default to a kicker unless someone steers me away.

    I can get a year long peloton member covered by my health insurance but I’m fairly judgemental of the product and don’t love the resistance knob. I’ve looked used and I could get one locally for a little under $1000. So if that’s a better option I could get onboard with it.

    I’ve realized if I want to be fast a trainer is the next logical step. It’ll let me ride in the evenings after work in the winter when it’s cold/dark/snowy.
    I used a peloton for a few years because my wife got it, you can do some good training with it (and I did) but zwift is so much more my speed and erg mode for workouts is awesome compared to the peloton knob aside from erg taking ~5 seconds to settle on a new power target. I have no kickr experience and decided to pony up for a tacx smart bike because I spend a whole lot more time riding in the basement than I do outside.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

    throughpolarizedeyes.com

  22. #397
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    5,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Target NICA?. When my kid hit puberty and started hitting podiums, I could have used someone like you, with a level of depth beyond his father trying to give half assed advice.
    This is an interesting angle.

  23. #398
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    This is an interesting angle.
    Also, judging from the amount of 7-10K bikes out there at the races, there are a lot of heavily invested helicopter dentist dads around these teams.

  24. #399
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    5,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Also, judging from the amount of 7-10K bikes out there at the races, there are a lot of heavily invested helicopter dentist dads around these teams.
    Aka "the Downside"

  25. #400
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    14,935
    Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Aka "the Downside"
    But think of the premium you could charge with your credentials....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •