Thread: Mid-layer Help

Mid-layer Help

Recently scored a strafe sick bird suit and while it’s amazing for waterproof/breathability the warm factor is not there.

Looking to score a hoodless insulated/puff jacket.

Any recommendations for jackets?

I have tried several so far but have had no luck as sizing is funky on these for my 6’3 long armed, lean frame.

I’m always caught between L and XL.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Mid-layer Help

Norrona. Made for lanky Norwegians. Their products have long arms and torsos. I buy it because of the slender cut and I’m only 6’

Trolveggan fleece. I have one in xxl and it’s more like xl but long arms. Also rab had decent long arms in down jackets. I went down or polartec alpha vest this year over layers and it’s been great

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

its gettting ot end of season sale time , find something at 40-50% off
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    its gettting ot end of season sale time , find something at 40-50% off
    this

Eddie Bauer. Most of their stuff comes in tall sizes, and the First Ascent line is decent. I’m 6’4” and there’s plenty of length in arms and torso for me. I wear a medium tall, so must be even longer and leaner than you....

They have 50% off sales frequently on the website, so don’t pay more than that unless you absolutely can’t wait.

I have very long arms. Patagonia Large fits me well. My less apelike son has given me a couple of items that were too long in the sleeve for him. I have an R2 midlayer for "brutally cold" California days, and a Nano Puff for actual cold days in the real world--Montana, Utah, etc. And like Eddie Bauer--wait for the sales.

If you make an account on norrona website you can get access to their “outlet” where they sell off gear at reduced prices. Can get free shipping to NA as well if you buy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Norrona. Made for lanky Norwegians. Their products have long arms and torsos. I buy it because of the slender cut and I’m only 6’
    This.

In euro land, xl means tall.
    Not fat and short.

And yet, stio xl fits me well at 6’4”
    . . .

OP suggested he had a ‘lean’ frame. All due respect, if you’re wearing XL Narrona, either you don’t have a lean frame, or it’s not fitting as intended. Unless ‘lean’ here means 6’3” 220lb with 6% body fat as opposed to well marbled meat. If OP’s ‘lean’ is more akin to skinny AF (my kind of lean), then he’d need to wear a size medium Norrona to get the desired circumference, and that ain’t going to have the required length.

Eddie Bauer makes proper Medium/Tall, Large/Tall, etc., which is great for someone who’s used to sizing up to get length and ending up with unwanted girth.

By the way, not some sort of EB fanboy, just not aware of literally any other company making a wide range of technical garments in tall sizes. Would love to have more options to choose from.

Some Arcteryx pants are available in medium tall and large tall.

But I don’t recall ever seeing any of their tops come in those sizes (although they do list their jackets as having different fit styles like “athletic” vs “relaxed” etc - so you could get potentially get a tighter fitting size Large jacket to get the hem and sleeve length you need)

I wear medium in Norrona tops and the sleeves are very long despite my long monkey arms.

Love my Patagonia better sweater 1/4 zip - at 6'2 210lbs I wear an XL which is a roomy fit, could easily get away with a large. Have skiied that with a long sleeve base and shell in -20 up here and stayed nice and warm.

Yep, there are a few companies doing pants in tall sizes, but fleece, puffies, jackets, etc. are almost non-existent.

Patagonia these days generally fits Full Figured guys. I’m 6’3”, 190 lbs, 32 waist, and Patagonia XL mid layers and outer layers fit my shoulders and arms well but have enough room around the abdomen for a pony keg or two.

I second the Eddie Bauer tall size recommendation.

Much, but not all, Outdoor Research stuff fits athletic builds well.

Ok, since we’re throwing out body specs now, here’s where I’m coming from: 6’4, 175 lbs. Chest, waist, hips measure as medium on most size charts, but you know... 6’4”

Proper medium/tall just works better for my build. I get that I’m an outlier. If you’re large or XL around, and are 6’3”+, there are certainly brands that will provide the required length in those sizes even if they aren’t ‘tall’ per se.

I'm 6'5, 215, 5 percent body fat, all natural, and find that SKYN Larges fit my eight inch cock for my 3 layer system

Nano Air. Don't overthink it. L fits me fine (6ft4 and skinny).

I’m on the DeJong gym plan (scrawny, tall) and like Patagonia Nano Airs in medium. Fit is fine. The comfort, temp versatility, and performance are good enough to overlook any quibbles I have on fit. It’s soft against skin, great breathability, got some stretch for comfort. Terrible in wind but that’s not really the point.

I have the Nano Air version with the more ventilated/breathable back panel - I think it’s called the hybrid? It’s great for when you’re gonna be wearing a pack because that area is already kinda “insulated”.

The sleeves are good and long for monkey armed people like me.
    Last edited by bennymac; 03-12-2021 at 10:13 PM.

Arc’teryx proton lt. slimmer/more athletic cut than nano air and better jacket in general IMO. Great mid layer.

Or Patagonia micro puff (not nano puff) or r1/r2. The tech face is great but this line is definitely better under a shell. Those are cut longer and leaner than other Patagonia.

For others, the Patagonia nano air hybrid was the best they’ve made. Have a few mid layers and vests. Great line - not sure why they discontinued.

Mons royale another option.

150 weight wool baselayer + R1 under a shell is the solution to 99% the temps I've come across. Whenever I try something warmer it comes off after 2 runs.

For me, the nano air seems to work very well in a wide temp range, so I just have a variety of base layers to mix with it. They go on sale a few times, grabbed mine at a 40% off. I’m 6’2.5”, 190, 42L and the patty size L usually gets me the arm length with a decent chest fit.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums