Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

COVID ICU nursing has been my last 12 months

I’ve been working 48 hour and 60 hour work weeks for the last 3 months, but prior to that I did about 9 months of 36 hour and 48 hour alternating weeks on nights in a more rural ICU.

This video is a good representation of my year, with just a few more walls between the patients. My motivation for sharing is an argument with my dad about COVID. From what I can tell, most people where I live get it and it’s increasing. The surprise from my dad prompts me that more people need to see the reality.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/opinio...s-arizona.html

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What did your dad say?

But did you become a TikTok influencer?

Thanks for your dedication. It won't help those that are COVID deniers and anti-mask. Not even when those people end up in the ICU. They will blame it on something else. Maybe if the disease had been 10x deadlier people would have taken the COVID more seriously. But stupid is stupid and it just can't be fixed. It just can't.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Missed opportunity: becoming a tiktok or IG influencer

How many people actualy got covid like 1 in 800

The reality is not enough people were killed or sick enough for anyone to do anything but whine about muh rights being violated

If there was covid zombie apocalypse playing out in your town it would have been all different
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    How many people actualy got covid like 1 in 800

The reality is not enough people were killed or sick enough for anyone to do anything but whine about muh rights being violated

If there was covid zombie apocalypse playing out in your town it would have been all different
    I can’t tell, are you here to fight?

How many folks did you see die a week over the last year? How many hands have you held or families have you helped to accept the fate of their loved ones? How many Zoom video calls have you hosted so that families could “be” with their loved ones for their last breath?

There’s more to the numbers than just statistics. It could have been worse. It may be worse next time. Natures not done.

Rant over. If those weren’t fighting words, then recognize this is me just venting. I’m tired of the BS.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    What did your dad say?
    My dads a pretty smart and experienced fella, and is pretty against mask mandates. Which, you know, is whatever if you also think people can drink and drive, but my dad is sensible and agrees with laws against drunk driving - which I believe is what a mask mandate is most similar too.

You can save lives by not driving drunk and wearing masks in indoor public places, both only require you to follow pretty low involvement rules at a great reward.

That said, at least my dad believes in the virus and takes precautions even though he doesn’t agree with mask mandates 🤷🏼♂️ honestly not that bad compared to some other folks I know.

To anyone, the number 118 million is significant
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Maybe read this to him, posted recently by forum member Brock Landers:

Things changed. We learned new information on the virus, its implications, it’s spread and how to better REDUCE (not prevent) transmission. It’s not that hard.

I get it. People have the right to do what they want re: mask. We have rights and no one wants to be locked up inside for a year. No one. But I also have the right to think you’re fucking selfish and soft as puppy shit because you can’t wear a little mask where you’re around people. Not all the time. Just when you’re around others. Again, not hard. Looking to reduce the spread. Not prevent.

Once the nation where we fought nazis and bravely died on the beaches in Normandy to protect our citizens. Now we can’t wear a fucking mask. Boo fucking hoo.

Vibes man.

Front lines ain’t no fun. Thanks for being there.

Take care of yourself first. Mental health is underrated.

I’m kinda n your dads camp. The recent cdc release said masks reduce spread by from 0.5 to 1.5%. With a 5% margin of error.

Distance. No more handshakes. Wash hands etc. that helps.

How many influenza deaths in your icu last year? Very few I’m sure. Covid ain’t the flu and it ain’t a nothingburger. But it’s not enough to destroy civilization.
    The next virus? May be the real deal. And at least we have experience with hygiene and medical protocols.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by mufasa5446 View Post

How many folks did you see die a week over the last year? How many hands have you held or families have you helped to accept the fate of their loved ones? How many Zoom video calls have you hosted so that families could “be” with their loved ones for their last breath?

There’s more to the numbers than just statistics. It could have been worse. It may be worse next time. Natures not done.

Rant over. If those weren’t fighting words, then recognize this is me just venting. I’m tired of the BS.
    Xer is a good guy. He's being sarcastic, on your side. Certainly understandable that after the year you've had changing the batteries in your sarcasm meter might have been a low priority. And he has a point--Covid hit the "sweet" spot between being so deadly that everybody does the right thing without thinking twice and being so mild that we can just go about our business.
    They should give you the whole next year paid time off to ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Vibes man.

I’m kinda n your dads camp. The recent cdc release said masks reduce spread by from 0.5 to 1.5%. With a 5% margin of error.

How many influenza deaths in your icu last year? Very few I’m sure. Covid ain’t the flu and it ain’t a nothingburger. But it’s not enough to destroy civilization.
    The next virus? May be the real deal. And at least we have experience with hygiene and medical protocols.
    If 2.6M dead as we only just start to roll vaccines isn't the "real deal" then your barometer is way the fuck off man.

Thanks for caring for folks...the wife and I have been on the front line for a year as well. We’re shattered. Never seen something take people out with no rhyme or reason. Or to have turned the corner, only to die of heart failure a few days later.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

That's the thing, though, it most definitely is the real deal, and the impact is tragic, but it was not bad enough to the point where a critical mass of anti maskers saw loved ones die to change their mind. This is mainly due to the rest of the population doing the right thing, and the extraordinary efforts of medical professionals saving people. That and enough of the people who did get it and didn't get critically ill or die was high, so as an example, in Idaho this summer, there were 4 youngish guys without masks on, and one was claiming he had it a couple weeks ago, and it wasn't too bad, he was not going to wear any masks that other people tell him to wear. Totally oblivious to the fact that thousands were dying a day, oblivious to the fact that if he hurt his leg jumping his four wheeler that a hospital might not automatically take him in. Xxxer is right. To get them to have bought in and made the situation better for everyone, it needed to get worse, because too many people could not see from the perspective of other, could not see how simple actions benefit themselves and others. They fail to recognize the suffering that was happening.

Thank you for your service and the hard work you do to help, even the ones that failed to do anything to help anybody else.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Link or it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Link or it didn't happen.

Ha! It's right here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...coverings.html oh wait no it's not.

Vibes man.

Core, please post the direct link to where your pulling these numbers. They do not correlate to any know numbers I have been able to find and or heard. I would be very interested in reading the article.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by mufasa5446 View Post

its my job here is to make pithy irreverent comments with a high degree of sarcasm but tust me I am in your corner, I do what the epidemiologists tell us to do

but I didnt see anyone die, i don't know anybody that died, i'm in Canada so " only " 22,000 died,

I'm not that worried about muh freedom so I locked down/ wore the mask /followed the rules

we also have our share of nay sayers up here but fuck around on health orders and you might get a fine, don't pay the fine and they will fuck with your ability to legally drive ... I say fine them all and let god sort it out
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Pro-Trump outlet misreads CDC report: Expert "disturbed" by scientific misrepresentation
    Right-wing news outlet OANN misinterprets a CDC report to say masks have a "negligible" impact on COVID-19 numbers

https://www.salon.com/2021/03/09/pro...epresentation/

We know where he gets his news...OANN.

OANN, by contrast, opens by writing that "the CDC has admitted face masks do little to prevent the spread of COVID-19 amid mounting pressure to lift mask mandates across the U.S. In a new study, the CDC found face masks had a negligible impact on coronavirus numbers that didn't exceed statistical margins of error." The outlet claims that the CDC's study found face mask orders "reduced infection rates by 1.5 percent over the rolling periods of two months each" between March and December 2020. It also claims that "the masks were 0.5 percent effective in the first 20 days of the mandates and less than 2 percent effective after 100 days." The author(s) conclude with a little bit of implied snark, adding that the CDC "still recommends wearing face masks, although it admitted such mandates do not make any statistical difference."

Pls read the article - it clearly outlines why what he said is complete bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    Pro-Trump outlet misreads CDC report: Expert "disturbed" by scientific misrepresentation
    Right-wing news outlet OANN misinterprets a CDC report to say masks have a "negligible" impact on COVID-19 numbers

From the article:

The [OANN] journalists use the 'per day' statistics to give the false impression that the magnitude of the impact of mask use was small when, in fact, the benefits were remarkably large.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post

We know where he gets his news...OANN.

OANN, by contrast, opens by writing that "the CDC has admitted face masks do little to prevent the spread of COVID-19 amid mounting pressure to lift mask mandates across the U.S. In a new study, the CDC found face masks had a negligible impact on coronavirus numbers that didn't exceed statistical margins of error." The outlet claims that the CDC's study found face mask orders "reduced infection rates by 1.5 percent over the rolling periods of two months each" between March and December 2020. It also claims that "the masks were 0.5 percent effective in the first 20 days of the mandates and less than 2 percent effective after 100 days." The author(s) conclude with a little bit of implied snark, adding that the CDC "still recommends wearing face masks, although it admitted such mandates do not make any statistical difference."

Pls read the article - it clearly outlines why what he said is complete bullshit.
    I know what oann is, but don’t read it.

During March 1–December 31, 2020, state-issued mask mandates applied in 2,313 (73.6%) of the 3,142 U.S. counties. Mask mandates were associated with a 0.5 percentage point decrease (p = 0.02) in daily COVID-19 case growth rates 1–20 days after implementation and decreases of 1.1, 1.5, 1.7, and 1.8 percentage points 21–40, 41–60, 61–80, and 81–100 days, respectively, after implementation (p<0.01 for all) (Table 1) (Figure). Mask mandates were associated with a 0.7 percentage point decrease (p = 0.03) in daily COVID-19 death growth rates 1–20 days after implementation and decreases of 1.0, 1.4, 1.6, and 1.9 percentage points 21–40, 41–60, 61–80, and 81–100 days, respectively, after implementation (p<0.01 for all). Daily case and death growth rates before implementation of mask mandates were not statistically different from the reference period.
    The above is a direct quote from the cdc.

Quibble about optics and slanted journalism.
    But that study does not say masks saved the world.

Distancing. Hygiene. Yes.
    Masks not so much.

But I didn’t come here to argue with op.
    Just thanked him for his service, while also saying you can be mask dubious, like his father, and also rational.

Carry on with the pitchforks and witch burning.
    . . .

They came for the witches and burned them, I said nothing.

They came for Core Shot and I said nothing. Then I was like, yeah, fuck that dude.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    They came for the witches and burned them, I said nothing.

They came for Core Shot and I said nothing. Then I was like, yeah, fuck that dude.
    Two drops. Thx 4 the chuckle
    . . .

36 hours a week ICU RN here.

When things started rolling a year ago, Mrs. Scrub more or less begged me to not work any extras.

So I didn't. And feel guilty about that.

A year later, and I'm glad to not have done extras, as things were shitty enough during my regular nights.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper