Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Tight. Box.

Name:  level.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  46.8 KB
    leveling the loft in my ski hut

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Nice job!
    Thank you foggy! That really means a lot. I am obviously a novice, but I try to learn every day and work hard. Also thank you everyone else for the props.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Nice job!

Family Built builds a nice modular and prices accordingly

In Colorado, we don't build our houses water tight above grade so don't worry about that. As long as you can prevent air infiltration, you should be good.

It sound like the on-site guides did not laser in their place or, more likely, the floor of the modular is not flat. On the eave ends, use cedar shims under the floor joists and metal shims between the treated plate and the concrete. On the cable ends, 16" o.c. should be fine. You just want to create continuous vertical bearing.

Do you have a vented crawlspace or an unvented conditioned crawl space?
    I was looking at other new houses and saw what you are saying - not water tight. My house is not resting far above grade and I still have work to do on the grading when it unfreezes. I just felt a lot safer sealing that area off. But you are saying that I can just spray insulation in there after I take care of the shims?

Sorry, I did not understand this: "On the cable ends, 16" o.c. should be fine." Also, do you have a source for metal shims?

Thank you for chiming in here, much obliged! Oh, the crawlspace is conditioned. I have not yet insulated or put in a vapor barrier.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Fyi. They also came very close in ancient Egypt. As She-ra (btw Ra the Sun God was actually a "He"-ra...but I digress) you may interested to know that without lasers...

The Great Pyramid of Khufu, with a base measuring 756 ft on each side and the biggest of the bunch, is made up of about 2.3 million stone blocks all on one foundation. This foundation is an engineering marvel all by itself. The Egyptians leveled the massive base to a tolerance of 2 centimeters using what was likely a series of levels they constructed from right-angled beams. It's also square within 11 centimeters on every corner.

Though they were building much closer to sea level.
    That was interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Can you share the cost?
    When I downsize, I’ve been thinking of manufactured housing. Super insulated 2x6, spray foam, etc.
    energy costs are only going up. Would be nice to have a tight box with heat pumps and solar.
    OMG no, that would require adding everything up. Maybe I'll do that at the end of the year. I can say one thing IT IS A LOT OF MONEY. If you are doing estimates give yourself a fat buffer, like 20-50%.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau