Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    my line vision 108 (183) + atk fr 14 (w/ brake) + free pro 2.0 skins = 2179 grams.

Ski is fun but i'm not qualified to say if it's bomber compared to one ski or another.

I too looked into a light weight AT ski, in particular the M Tour 86, 99 and Vertical 88. After closer investigation I looked for a deal and went with this one though

https://www.dynastar.com/de/m-vertical

My main emphasis is on mountaineering here so rather want maximum torsional rigidity for the occasional steep, hard frozen faces over anything else. Your application or purpose may vary.

It would help if you all narrowed down the PNW a bit. If you’re talking Cascade passes it will be different than the east slope ranges that have a more inter mountain snow pack.

I rarely ski near the crest, mostly in the Wenatchee Mnts. and I have been digging the Ravens. They handle most wild snow well but are not the best in heavier snow or anywhere with many tracks in the side country.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

179 bg 108 with the new touring core has to be 1700g or less?
    I was going to go for a walk off the hill today but it was too warm so i stayed on ghe resort. My 108 steeple/g3 ion/atomic xtd 130 handled everything much better thatn i would have imagined. That ski/binding gives nothing away when i skied it with my lupos compared to my alpine skis/bindings. Steeple would be the 50/50 core.
    New touring core 108 bg would bemy pick hands down. I want to buy more of these after today

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    my line vision 108 (183) + atk fr 14 (w/ brake) + free pro 2.0 skins = 2179 grams.

Ski is fun but i'm not qualified to say if it's bomber compared to one ski or another.
    this is itneresting. im about to mount the vision 98 (whatever longest length is, i forget) with a 300g binder for spring. we shall see

^i'm in the 185ish 98s with aloinists. Soft bases and a speed limit, but fun, snappy, light. They were just what I was looking for, but just aren't durable.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Like shit. Like truly shit.
    FWIW, I realized that part of the problem with this ski is that it came from the factory only half tuned, which made it really grabby. Now that it's got a better tune, it's still an awful ski but is less grabby.

The best use case I have found for mine is groomers, but why would you have your ultralight touring ski on a goomer.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    It would help if you all narrowed down the PNW a bit. If you’re talking Cascade passes it will be different than the east slope ranges that have a more inter mountain snow pack.

I rarely ski near the crest, mostly in the Wenatchee Mnts. and I have been digging the Ravens. They handle most wild snow well but are not the best in heavier snow or anywhere with many tracks in the side country.

What about heavier snow or tracks messes with the ravens? A reverse camber, straight ski shouldn’t deflect in crud

Light, shred-worthy touring sticks

Well for me I’m pretty big and chunky skied crud tosses them around. They pretty light compared to what I normally ski. Untracked heavier snow they’re fine. They handle crust and windboard great. I’m not complaining about their performance, they’re a touring ski not meant for resort use.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    What about heavier snow or tracks messes with the ravens? A reverse camber, straight ski shouldn’t deflect in crud
    I skied my ravens inbounds the other week to test some modifications I’d base to my boots. Conditions sucked and the Ravens were just killing it. Made me contemplate buying another pair and putting pivots on them

Isn't one right answer, as everyone will find a different compromise which works for them. What your year round skiing looks like will also likely be completly different. Are you walking in 10+ miles before you even see snow? Do you stop skiing when you can't skin from close to the car anymore? What is your winter touring looking like?

If one ski for year round backcountry-only use I'd get the ZeroG 105 in a 180 with ATK (never skied but trusting the community), MTN, or Alpinist (what mine have). It's light enough to not completely hate it for spring and summer slogs where I'm walking a day before I even get to snow. It's not going to rip around like a Billy Goat Tour, or Wildcat tour but I can have fun skiing pow on it in pretty much any terrain from milking some low angle trees to skiing some steeper chutes and it has enough stability I'm comfortable pointing it down the fall line for a few hundred vertical feet. Line Vision 108 would be another fun one but they are pretty fragile compared to the blizzards.
    If its just winter touring a BillyGoat 108 tour is pretty tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I skied my ravens inbounds the other week to test some modifications I’d base to my boots. Conditions sucked and the Ravens were just killing it. Made me contemplate buying another pair and putting pivots on them
    How big are you? I’m 6’5” 240

I have not put up a review yet, and they are slightly heavier than your other options, but I have Wildcat 108 Tours in 184 with ATK Voyagers and they weigh the same as Navis Freebirds. They have absolutely killed it in everything. Highly annoyed that I keep buying skis and these are really all I need. Even using it for couloir skiing, although I know that I should have a flat tail, b/c everyone says that you should have a flat tail, but now I do not know why I would need a flat tail. Maybe so you can use them as a rap anchor? But if I am going all South Face Annapurna Lafaille-style, I think I have bigger issues, and I would just build the T-anchor, and you are leaving the skis behind anyway.
    So fuck it, I am bowling with twin tips. Also, it lets you hit Chad's Gap and ski switch to the road even with tech bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Like shit. Like truly shit.
    No they don't. They certainly aren't chargers but you've never going to get an ultralight ski to do that

Just like the Helio 116 you have to mount them backwards of the recommended line by at least 1.5 if not more. They're great for when avy conditions force you to stay slow and low angled.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Zero G 105s ski remarkably well for their weight but are only an ok powder ski. I mean... they're fine, but nothing like a ski that's designed to be surfy and maneuverable in deep snow. If I'm skiing powder in steeper, open terrain they're not surfy, but they plane up well and are quite predictable. But in lower angle trees, a fatter and more rockered ski is just faster and more fun. On firm steeps and corn it's a great ski, however.
    This is EXACTLY how I'd describe the Navis Freebird. Not great for slow and/or tight.

You might also want to look at the Atomic Backlands
    Last edited by NorCalNomad; 03-15-2021 at 11:26 AM.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Atomic Backland 107.... amazes me how well these things can charge. For their weight they seem to not have much of a speed limit....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just because I'm bored and didn't ski today, I'd still argue that the Helio 105 (mounted -2) are bad, even for their weight. My "other" super light touring skis were the older Hannibal 100s, and I think that those were better in all conditions. In my completely unscientific tests, I think it's because they have a fairly stiff tail, but not enough ski in front (even mounted -2) to compensate for that. Also the tail shape seems strange to me, and even though they're fairly stiff, they don't seem to have the edge hold that the Hannibals had.

All that said, this just means I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and ski my steeples all spring. RES is great for firm edge hold, right?

PS someone sell me your Down LD102 and then I'll shut up.

^^^
    Pretty pleased with my Backland 107’s too.
    Not a ton of days on them yet and I’m in CO so not sure how they’d handle PNW but I’d guess as well or better than anything else that weighs under 1600g in 182.

I’m using them with Hawx XTD’s and shifts which is pretty robust but I’ve also hoarded another pair waiting for a light pin binding and matching boot.

For me its a soft snow ski and I’m on something skinnier for spring corn but YMMV.
    Last edited by dcpnz; 03-14-2021 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garretvs View Post
    I'm looking for the lightest ski you can still shred on. Live in the PNW and the ski would see everything from mid winter pow to spring corn.

Anyone skied multiple of these? Thoughts/comparison? Planning to mount with ATK's.

- Blizzard Zero G 105, 1500g @ 180

- Scott Superguide Freetour, 1580g @ 178

- Dynastar M-Tour, 1300g @ 178

- Fischer Hannibal 106, 1450g @ 178

Other similar contenders that are a bit heavier

- Faction Agent 3, 1750g @ 180

- Black Crows Navis Freebird, 1675g @ 178

Have the Navis FB, took a couple turns on the zeroG. The weight penalty is sort of appreciable in the 184/equivalent length. I thought both were similar, maybe a little more energy in the zeroG but easier to overwhelm. Maybe a technique error. Neither are the stiffest boards I've ever been on, TBH if you want the burliest I'd steer you away from those two options.

^^My buddy has the backlands, goes pretty hard on them & seems happy. We've done most of the volcanoes no issues. ZeroG seems like the crowd favorite for Skimo pursuits here but if I were to pick over I'd prob go with the backlands as well. Seem more fun/versatile and tbh I don't ski steep gnarly wild shit as often as I like to think I do.

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    You may wanna take the weight penalty of a ~1700-1900g ski to get something that will handle cascade concrete better if you want it to handle 'everything' well.
    Yeah this is pretty much it here.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Scrapper 115. 1700g in a 182

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post

Same setup, but with tectons.

Was blow away on how well those things handled the refrozen mank, considering that its the lightest ski I've own. I also have a pair of SD104s that I tour on, and even though its lighter, I would say the Vision stays more composed, and highly predictable. Additionally, its a much more playful ski; way easier to slash and butter as well.

Considering the folks that made that ski did it more as a pet project for skiing in the area, I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find something that's better suited to skiing in the Cascades.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    I got some Kastle this year and I love em!
    Which Kastle's did you get and why do you love them? The tx98 looks interesting.

This thread seems like a good place to ask - anyone have a strong recommendation for a light ~100mm touring stick that can hold up to 210# and comes in a high 18x or ideally 190+? The ZG105 is appealing, but the 185 actual length is shorter than I'd like at 6'6" what with physics and center of mass and all. The 194 Beast 108 is wider than I really want this ski to be, though I did weigh a pair at 1700g/ski which is about the top end of what i'd consider for this slot. Findr 102 is interesting, but I get mixed impressions of that ski. Anyone been on the Backland 100? Not sure how similar it is to the 107, which some folks here seem to like. Maybe I should add that to the list. Prioritizing edgehold and versatility in weird conditions.

If OP is including 1750g skis now in the possible mix, just go buy a Deathwish Tour 184, screw on some ATK binders, and send it. Only a couple tours on mine and I’m totally sold on them.

Previously on the updated 2020 Camox Freebirds, which I thought skied really strongly for a 1560g ski, but the DWT feels like an inbounds ski on the downhill in comparison.

The skier I know in the PNW is on Voile WSP. Said handled the rime of Adams and Jefferson no problem this winter. Great on the long approaches.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    The skier I know in the PNW is on Voile WSP. Said handled the rime of Adams and Jefferson no problem this winter. Great on the long approaches.
    Yeah, complete bs on skimo sticks handling rime with "no problem." That person needs to be reminded how good skis and bindings that weight more than a 2L of coke actually ski.

This is from a person who has both skimo sticks and HEAVY skis where the bindings alone weight more than the skimo skis and bindings.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.