Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Light, shred-worthy touring sticks

I'm looking for the lightest ski you can still shred on. Live in the PNW and the ski would see everything from mid winter pow to spring corn.

Anyone skied multiple of these? Thoughts/comparison? Planning to mount with ATK's.

- Blizzard Zero G 105, 1500g @ 180

- Scott Superguide Freetour, 1580g @ 178

- Dynastar M-Tour, 1300g @ 178

- Fischer Hannibal 106, 1450g @ 178

Other similar contenders that are a bit heavier

- Faction Agent 3, 1750g @ 180

- Black Crows Navis Freebird, 1675g @ 178

This is probably unhelpful, as I haven't skied any of what you mentioned but I'm loving the Hagan Boost 99's at 1500g in 178

Probably heavier than you’re talking about. But if you actually want shred, and not just doesn’t totally suck at skiing, 4frnt Raven. I’ve skied the Fischer and blizzard and they fit into just don’t totally suck at skiing category IMO. The Raven you can legitimately full on shred with.

i would add a vote for Down CD104Ls

i am not a shredder, but Boissal is, and he shreds the gnar on them

they are capable and confident and stable at around 1550g a ski.

You may wanna take the weight penalty of a ~1700-1900g ski to get something that will handle cascade concrete better if you want it to handle 'everything' well.

Zero G 105s ski remarkably well for their weight but are only an ok powder ski. I mean... they're fine, but nothing like a ski that's designed to be surfy and maneuverable in deep snow. If I'm skiing powder in steeper, open terrain they're not surfy, but they plane up well and are quite predictable. But in lower angle trees, a fatter and more rockered ski is just faster and more fun. On firm steeps and corn it's a great ski, however.

If I could only own one ski, I'd keep the Zero G 105s, but I'd miss my more powder oriented skis for most of the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Zero G 105s ski remarkably well for their weight but are only an ok powder ski. I mean... they're fine, but nothing like a ski that's designed to be surfy and maneuverable in deep snow. If I'm skiing powder in steeper, open terrain they're not surfy, but they plane up well and are quite predictable. But in lower angle trees, a fatter and more rockered ski is just faster and more fun. On firm steeps and corn it's a great ski, however.

If I could only own one ski, I'd keep the Zero G 105s, but I'd miss my more powder oriented skis for most of the winter.
    Thanks! I have other skis that tour fine and ski great for deep & variable snow (Black Crows Anima, Hojis, Rustler 10), but looking for a tool for those long days that will still be maximum fun on the descents.

Quote Originally Posted by garretvs View Post
    I'm looking for the lightest ski you can still shred on. Live in the PNW and the ski would see everything from mid winter pow to spring corn.

Anyone skied multiple of these? Thoughts/comparison? Planning to mount with ATK's.

- Blizzard Zero G 105, 1500g @ 180

- Scott Superguide Freetour, 1580g @ 178

- Dynastar M-Tour, 1300g @ 178

- Fischer Hannibal 106, 1450g @ 178

Other similar contenders that are a bit heavier

- Faction Agent 3, 1750g @ 180

- Black Crows Navis Freebird, 1675g @ 178
    With the same objective as you I’ve gone for the Movement Alp Tracks 106 Ltd at 1320g for the 177. I’ve got the 185’s. First outing on refrozen boilerplate and corn after a 1500m climb was encouraging. Will try them in pow this weekend (hopefully!).

https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/prod...06-ltd-sc.html

Vision 108?

Raven, Hoji, Intention 110?
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by garretvs View Post
    Thanks! I have other skis that tour fine and ski great for deep & variable snow (Black Crows Anima, Hojis, Rustler 10), but looking for a tool for those long days that will still be maximum fun on the descents.
    Then I recommend them highly. They don't feel like a heavier ski, but the shape and the flex seems to minimize the drawbacks of the light weight, at least for the way I ski. They track straighter/deflect less than all the other light skis I've tried, except for the Zero G 108's which were heavier and not as good in pow. I skied them in some truly horrible wind-etched snow last weekend and was pleased with how they handled it.

Helio 105 on the light end but I have no idea how they ski.

Blaze 106 is in that heavier category but they are cheap and ski surprisingly well.

Lot's of options from the indies.

Last, and maybe the best of them all, BMT 109. Not the best at anything but doesn't suck anywhere. Too bad that it was discontinued.

Dynafit Beast 98

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    Helio 105 on the light end but I have no idea how they ski.
    Like shit. Like truly shit.

I don't understand why so many people ski Helio 105s. The only explanation I can think of is widespread pro deals but that can only be part of the story. They are so universally disliked. If you want the lightest mid-fat, there are lighter options out there.

G3 Findr 102 is the ski you seek. I live in the PNW too. It can fuckin rail for how light it is. Very stiff for the construction and a long effective edge. I have it in 184cm and use it for spring big mission type days. Size up one if you're looking for more pow-oriented skiing.

I've been enjoying my VWerks Mantra, but glad I found them on sale.

Depends on how you define "shred."

I've skied on a number of the skis mentioned, and own the Zero G 105, which I enjoy skiing on - but none of them "rips" like my alpine setups. Best compromise so far is a shorter (180) Ruster 11 with Shifts, but it's too heavy to drag uphill much.

So far, no one's been able to disprove the "weight is great" on the downhill rule . . .

Solis skis really well. It’s not light but it’s worth it. 1950g on the 180

Moving to PNW from CO and wondering the same. On Voile Vectors now but not loving how soft they feel. Fun for continental snowpack though. Bought them because I loved my old 112 underfoot Chargers. I’ll have to make do for at least a season but I’m thinking they may be outgunned.

Anyone on K2 Wayback 106’s for every day touring setup?

I’ve been really stoked on my Head Kore 105 mounted with Salomon mtn pures.

I think it comes in at 1849g for the 189cm. A little heavier than some of your other options, but the ski absolutely rips.

wayback 106 is uber light as well. think my 186 is just 1500 and change, 179 is like 1450 ish. Just a touch of camber, pretty large sweet spot but not noodle, does a have a very rear mount. i've been happy at +1 for bc in the PNW (SSQ pass most of my days )
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I got some Kastle this year and I love em!

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Depends on how you define "shred."

I've skied on a number of the skis mentioned, and own the Zero G 105, which I enjoy skiing on - but none of them "rips" like my alpine setups. Best compromise so far is a shorter (180) Ruster 11 with Shifts, but it's too heavy to drag uphill much.

So far, no one's been able to disprove the "weight is great" on the downhill rule . . .
    I’ve also got a Rustler/Shift setup. As you say it’s great for short tours but too heavy for longer missions. Considered putting an Alpinist on it to reduce the weight by 600g?

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    I’ve also got a Rustler/Shift setup. As you say it’s great for short tours but too heavy for longer missions. Considered putting an Alpinist on it to reduce the weight by 600g?
    Well, I got it for a Europe trip, but that's off the table now. Maybe replace the Shift with MTN's next year.

Skiing on agent 3.0's with atk fr 14's. They rip. No but seriously they ski amazing and can pretty much handle anything I have thrown at them. The blizzards are nice as well but you can definitely tell they are 300g lighter in every way, good and bad.