What is it? - Rossi Blackops 118 Alternative - Suggestions

Currently on a BO118 (186cm) skiing on the Western side of the cascades. Really, really enjoy how these skis work. Hard/big landings are great, able to nuke through chop, fairly playful, and rip on groomers making my way back to the lift. However, I would like to have a slightly more taper on the tail to allow a slightly surfier feel when slashing.

So what's a comparable ski I should be looking at?
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

What is it? - Rossi Blackops 118 Alternative - Suggestions

RX
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Jeffery 116
    Training for Alpental

Never skied it, but guessing the volkl revolt 121 is a consideration... still wide, but more playful, looser

GPO

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Have you tried just heavily detuning the BO118 tails? The factory tune on mine was razor sharp.

Edit - are you mounted on the line? If so, remounting a couple of cm back might help make the tails easier to slash. I have mine at -2.5cm and the tails are plenty slashy.

Billy Goat

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

What you are describing is the original Moment Bibby. Haven't skied the new version (Wildcat), but I suspect that the weight reductions have made it less comparable to the Black Ops. A used 190 Bibby isn't too hard to come by though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    Have you tried just heavily detuning the BO118 tails? The factory tune on mine was razor sharp.

That had not occurred to us dude - However been skiing them for about ~40 days now and its still somewhat hard to slash compared to other skis I have

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    Edit - are you mounted on the line? If so, remounting a couple of cm back might help make the tails easier to slash. I have mine at -2.5cm and the tails are plenty slashy.
    Mounted mine at the same point as you.

Maybe I should try both the 186 and 190 Bibby/WC

www.experiencedgear.net

DPS Koala 119 is what you seek I think. Heavy, almost symmetrical rocker, a bit of camber, more taper

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I find this thread interesting, because I’ve also wondered about a narrower tail/more tail taper on the Black Ops 118.

Whatever the core layup is, it’s great for resort pow and chop. Damp, steam roller, monster truck smooth.

But I end up having my BO118 tails hit each other more than any other ski I’ve owned. Way more than with Renegades or Volkl Twos or Megawatts or Bent Chetler 120s.

I think the Black Ops could probably still be just as good of a resort pow/chop destroyer (and probably still land tricks switch in soft snow fine, which I can’t do regardless of what ski I’m on) with a slightly narrower/more tapered tail.

Maybe it would increase its drifty/surfy prowess too? What about a Black Ops 118 layup and weight in a BC 120 shape? Would it lose the best characteristics of both skis or would it be awesome?

Jeffrey 116, full stop.

The koala/wildcat will feel too similar, they aren’t locked it but neither is the BO so if you get something else it should be more drifty.

Revolt 121 could also work, but it’s not the same chop killer a jeffrey 116 is.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Jeffrey 116, full stop.

The koala/wildcat will feel too similar, they aren’t locked it but neither is the BO so if you get something else it should be more drifty.

Revolt 121 could also work, but it’s not the same chop killer a jeffrey 116 is.
    What he said.

Alright - Whos got a 186 Kartel/Jeffrey they're fixing to dump ?

www.experiencedgear.net