Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best BC late April

Help me plan a vacation.
    The timing is for a week or so, starting mid April.
    Chic Chocs, Alps, Rogers Pass, Dolomites have all been on the menu in the past, but apparently there is some kind of bug going around wreaking havoc with international travel. Last year's Iceland tickets will likely become next year's spring trip.
    So- with the snowpack this year, where would you go in mid/late April? Bonus for any place Southwest flies. Double bonus for direct flights from Boston.

Your thoughts?

Rogers pass fo sure!

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Rogers pass fo sure!
    Have had two awesome trips that time of year. But, not travel to BC right now.

The Sawtooth range in Idaho may offer what you’re looking for. Fly into Boise, requires one stop from Boston. Take a scenic drive 2 1/2 hours north to Stanley. Lodging, food and basic services are available. If you want a guided experience, Sawtooth Mountain Guides has a stellar reputation. There are literally unlimited lines and routes. The North Couloir of McGown is one of the 50 American Classics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have not been tracking snowpack, but high Sierras, the land of light.

Good ideas here.
    State of Maine just decided that teachers (wife) should be vaccinated, which has resulted in some late season planning.

Cheap direct flights to Denver got me thinking.

Anyone have intel on if Canada may open the border this spring to Americans, or at least vaccinated Americans?

Quote Originally Posted by HHTELE View Post
    Cheap direct flights to Denver got me thinking.
    It's impossible to tell what stability will be like in late April here in CO right now, but usually CO backcountry skiing is fantastic that time of year. Our current snowpack structure sucks, but is improving, and overall stability could go either way in the next month and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Anyone have intel on if Canada may open the border this spring to Americans, or at least vaccinated Americans?
    I wouldn't count on it. Mostly health authorities are saying we will have to continue with public health measures for many months even with vaccines and there is talk of a third wave due to variants.

Next spring is more of a possibility IMO.
    27° 18°

Dang, hopes of a Whistler/Spearhead trip are dashed but I totally get wanting to keep us out, most of us are gross, selfish and terrible

Dang, hopes of a Whistler/Spearhead trip are dashed but I totally get wanting to keep us out, most of us are gross, selfish and terrible
    I am with you on that. I was hoping vaccinations might provide a "passport", as I suspect they soon will. We have the ability to travel with N95 level protection as well.

We have been extremely conservative, and support all efforts to control this, so I am not complaining. But a trip to Roger's pass sure would be nice. Even a trip to the Chic Chocs would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    It's impossible to tell what stability will be like in late April here in CO right now, but usually CO backcountry skiing is fantastic that time of year. Our current snowpack structure sucks, but is improving, and overall stability could go either way in the next month and a half.
    Was thinking of booking a flight to Denver while prices are low. If there aren't great touring options, I have heard rumors of mountain biking in CO.

Quote Originally Posted by HHTELE View Post
    Was thinking of booking a flight to Denver while prices are low. If there aren't great touring options, I have heard rumors of mountain biking in CO.
    If you are flexible with activities and where you go after you fly in you can really do it all in CO that time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Have not been tracking snowpack, but high Sierras, the land of light.
    Did you mean “Range of Light”?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah I do brain fart and I would go there or head north for volcano skiing depending but that’s me. Reno Sacramento or San Fran for flight destinations. Camp low ski high

I'm taking a couple weeks in late April to ski and camp now that I'm vaxxed and deciding between eastern sierra and cascades. I'll probably start in Mammoth/395, head north to Lassen and Shasta and maybe on to Washington. The problem with the PNW in late April is it can be glorious conditions or endless rain

I'm taking a couple weeks in late April to ski and camp now that I'm vaxxed and deciding between eastern sierra and cascades. I'll probably start in Mammoth/395, head north to Lassen and Shasta and maybe on to Washington. The problem with the PNW in late April is it can be glorious conditions or endless rain
    Not east of the crest. Usually variable clouds/sun with afternoon convective snow and graupel.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Regarding the High Sierra and or Shasta - things are a bit low tide this year, so unless we get some big storms in the next month or so, the options might be limited. So keep watching the Avy sites and TGR threads for these before committing to make sure the routes you plan are in condition.
    I posted some pics from the High Sierra a week or so ago:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Thread-2020-21

Shasta has low snow pack and the upper mountain has been windscraped. https://www.shastaavalanche.org/

Wow Shasta looks awful, at least they're getting a good storm today and tomorrow

Late April is tough and it usually pays to decide last minute. Could be corn and sunshine or it could be pow. And if it's pow it's only good through the end of the storm and then it's mank until it consolidates again.

What gear will you have and what are comfortable with? Crampons/axe, ropes?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Late April is tough and it usually pays to decide last minute. Could be corn and sunshine or it could be pow. And if it's pow it's only good through the end of the storm and then it's mank until it consolidates again.

What gear will you have and what are comfortable with? Crampons/axe, ropes?
    Trigger pulled for Denver from Portland Maine. Good flights for 2, $750 includes bikes or skis.

We are comfortable with mountaineering ax/crampons, as well as crevasse rescue gear. But with only two, will likely avoid roped travel.

Our common ground is moderate terrain, though I don't mind mellow terrain, and she will down climb or stop early on a bootpack to accommodate me on slightly steeper stuff.

Next step, figure out which way to head for skiing. Any suggestions on guidebooks, lodging, etc.? I would like to start reading daily avvy forecasts for wherever we are heading, try and follow developments.

San Juans.

7-8 hours NW of Denver by car into the Tetons.
    Excellent snowpack this season and late April is quiet here and usually gorgeous weather.
    Check mountainweather.com for local, and BTavalanche center for pack conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    7-8 hours NW of Denver by car into the Tetons.
    Excellent snowpack this season and late April is quiet here and usually gorgeous weather.
    Check mountainweather.com for local, and BTavalanche center for pack conditions.
    Make that 10-12 hours... since it'll take an extra 3-4 just to get to the WY border.

Pfluffenmeister made it from CSprings to Jtown in like 7 hours a month ago.

Rolling 100+ for many miles.