Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How much are you willing to spend to ski inbounds?

On average, what does it cost you to ski a day during a typical season? Where do you ski? If you work in the industry, you probably ski for free (or at least it is part of your compensation package). Personally, until IKON and EPIC, I was able to stay below $10-15/day. Now, I'm ok with $15-$25/day to ski Canyons/DV, AltaBird and Solitude.
    These days, it has become very complicated to choose which pass/passes to buy.
    Silver card in UT: $3500 for 30 days at each resort. That is not in my future.
    EPIC and IKON: $900 + $650. This is what I have been doing, and what seems to make the most sense for me in UT.
    A full resort pass that gives you a base IKON: Alta/Bird = $2100; DV $2600. Maybe, but only 5 days at included resorts is feeble. Also, no PCMR/Canyons would be the most inconvenient option for me.
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 03-07-2021 at 01:41 PM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Currently I pay around $12 / day at the home hill. Season pass is $675ish.

I'd be fine with paying a bit more for the same skiing experience. I'd also be fine with paying a good bit more (say, $20/ day) but I'd expect some substantial improvements (mostly, shorter lift lines. That could be accomplished a few different ways).

I'd also be more inclined to pay more at a better resort (i.e. one with more vert / better terrain / more consistently good snow).

Edit: fixed my day rate. Forgot to exclude touring days.

Day passes in Europe. So anything between 30chf /euros and 84.
    I'd probably have the andermatt half price thing (costs 40chf)if I could have gone this year. So that would reduce the 84chf to 42.
    But I have had only two resorts days so far.
    Season Passes are much too variable and I'd have missed a few good west or southern winters had I had one.

I only go when it's good so that usually limits my ski days to 20-35. And 15-20ish in bad seasons or these corona days (well I've figured something out concerning border crossing and Quarantine for this season so I may break 20 or 25 weather depending). . So a season pass for about 1000chf doesn't make sense for me. And yes. I'm a snow snob. If it's not 25cm+ (that's about 357+ inches, I guess) I usually don't bother because family and Bouldering keep me busy otherwise.

That limits my potential to ski interesting descents because if the sun has been out for a while, I usually go Bouldering and miss the stable steep stuff.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

$40-$50 a day based on season pass by days skied. Some years travel and spend more, but not lately

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

It looks like I’ll be coming in around $17/day for my skiing at Mt Hood Meadows this season. I definitely feel like it’s a good value.

I normally get 15 days in a season, so that should be around $47 a day, BUT there is lodging, food, etc, so it isn't cheap. Last season I got 6 days in and this season is looking like maybe 10 days. Hopefully 2022 is 30 days plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Was the username liv2ski15days taken?

I cut ski runs in the fall so I havent paid $ for a pass in awhile, its tough work & good ski training

I take a lunch , stay out of the day lodge, maybe an apres beer ... so almost nothing

but it does cost 10$ for the fuel to drive up

usually get 70 days in
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The pass was 20% off this year, due to the early close last season. I'll be below $15/day before we're through. Unfortunately I put the lodges off limits so my days are overall a bit shorter since I can't rest/warm up/eat/hydrate as easily as in the past.

I think the dollar cost averaging is a distraction.
    Yes, ski bumming full seasons gives cheap days.

But what’s your max price for a good day? Sweet pow or sunshine corn?

E.g., how much would you pay for a walk up lift ticket?

$164 for JH blew my mind. Not that I’m paying that. Fuck the system. But saw plenty of rich folks queuing up for that.

It’s gotta be under a Hundo for me.
    $75 is “reasonable”

Golf is the best analogy. Rich white people shit.
    Folks drop fiddy to a hundo all the time. For four hours. At least skiing is a day long.

Another analogy is fine dinning. You can drop fiddy to a hundo for two hours of gastronomy, that’s soon to become just another stinky shit.
    . . .

$599 is the current early purchase yr pass at Mt Hood Meadows, incl 3 days at Whitefish & 5 days at Baker
    tho i'm currently on year two of a 5yr special pass for $2600 [capital development effort by ski area], w/ ^^ those partner days & a bunch of buddy bonus tix

this yr, I'm prolly $18/day
    last yr was $44/day [btwn injury & pandemic]

peak day ticket w/ reservation is $129 this year
    given the lines, that's pretty rough for day trippers, esp families w/ lessons & rentals

I don’t know much about the cost of day passes outside of UT and CO, but only one place that I know of is less than $100/day.
    That is one allure of Ikon and Epic. A pass that has been used 7-8 days pays for itself.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Probably about $25-$30

If our season wasn’t so short, and/or if the drive to better skiing wasn’t so long it would be a lot more reasonable.

Edit: If I just count passes it’s like $10/day, I was figuring everything I spend to have inbounds skiing in my life for a season.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 03-07-2021 at 08:51 PM.

If I travel to ski it will be a few days at most a season so the rate is really irrelevant to me, it's more a vacation than a day skiing anyway.

I haven't traveled to ski but a few times in my life, but by the time you roll in transportation, lodging, and restaurants the daily lift rate isn't a huge factor. One of the few times I did travel WB had the only snow in North America so it was worth the daily rate. It was my 8yo's first time skiing and she's loved skiing ever since so the trip was priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I don’t know much about the cost of day passes outside of UT and CO, but only one place that I know of is less than $100/day.
    Tons of ski AREAS have tickets for way less than $100/day. I don't know any ski RESORTS that have tickets for less than $100/day, however.

This season is going to hurt a bit, probably around 50 a day. But I got paid for 33 years to ski so there is that.

Not sure where this thread will go but for me its not the money, I am spoiled by a former lack of crowds.

Skiing at the area I have been at for over 30 years is no longer an experience that I enjoy. I am good with that.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I'm at about $63/day. By the time I'm done for the season it will be in the mid $40's range.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

All depends on conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post

That limits my potential to ski interesting descents because if the sun has been out for a while, I usually go Bouldering and miss the stable steep stuff.
    OK, am i the only one who doesn't know what bouldering is?

Right now I'm around $40 CAD per day. It's more then I like, but I also tend to tour more then ski resort. So far it's 37 days of touring this season!

My pass cost $1500, parking pass cost $600
    usually 100 days+
    So $21+/- a day to ski the village and have a vehicle close at hand.
    I could ride the bus. Fuck that shitshow. Good way to put a damper on my day.
    I would not pay full price over $75 anywhere.

Usually around $7 a day with 70 days on a pass at $480 last year. I’ve been as low as $4 when I skied over 80 days and the pass was just over $300.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post

E.g., how much would you pay for a walk up lift ticket?

$164 for JH blew my mind. Not that I’m paying that. Fuck the system. But saw plenty of rich folks queuing up for that.
    snowbasin was charging $169 for WROD on December 4th this year, lol.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    It’s a competition. Who can fit the largest rock in their asshole and hold it there for five minutes.

The winner gets a day lift ticket.
    . . .