Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How much are you willing to spend to ski inbounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44 View Post
    All in, inbounds and out, skiing is pretty expensive. For me, lift tickets are a really small part of it. Gas, plowing, real estate taxes, propane, gear, on and on.
    I had a coworker ask about how much money I spent on skiing. I told him well, I wouldn't need a 4wd truck, wouldn't need snow tires, wouldn't need to live close to skiing, so um a lot. But I wouldn't trade it for anything.

And it might be cheaper than whatever drug addiction I'd probably have...

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    It’s rarely crowded here. Sure base lifts at 10, on a big day will have a line. But I’m long gone.

Earliest I’ve showed up is 8am for the 20” day and I got 2nd chair.
    Don’t listen to this guy. He has no idea...it is ALWAYS packed at Aspen. Worse then Vail on a powder day and we get waay less snow. Barely 200” most years.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

To answer this I feel like I need to know what is meant by "ski day" and if maybe a better metric would be $/1,000 vertical feet?

It is hard to measure vert. The apps are a hassle. I rarely ski bell to bell, more like 3 hrs/day, but probably ski between 8k-18k/day. I rarely ski <6k or more than 20k/day. A man has got to know his limitations.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I'll pay pretty much anything. If I wanna go somewhere, I'm going. Usually I have enough foresight to take advantage of pass deals or advance ticket purchases. But whatever, still cheaper than a 4-hour round of golf at an A+ course.

When it gets over $150/day I start to get a "yeesh" face on. But nobody ever went skiing to save money.

Getting harder to take the wife and kids along on big trips though. I'd better work a little harder for more disposable cash.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    It is hard to measure vert. The apps are a hassle. I rarely ski bell to bell, more like 3 hrs/day, but probably ski between 8k-18k/day. I rarely ski <6k or more than 20k/day. A man has got to know his limitations.
    Slopes is a great app is no hassle whatsoever. It's even better if you have an Apple watch. Def. worth the $29/year for premium.

400 buck pass got cancelled this year when our hill decided to close in December before they opened and subsequent lockdowns kept things bottled up until the second part of February. I reckon I have gone over that 400 dollars already and hoping we still have a couple of weeks of skiing left. Is what it is and if I spend another few hundred smackers it will be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by petey_ View Post
    400 buck pass got cancelled this year when our hill decided to close in December before they opened and subsequent lockdowns kept things bottled up until the second part of February. I reckon I have gone over that 400 dollars already and hoping we still have a couple of weeks of skiing left. Is what it is and if I spend another few hundred smackers it will be worth it.
    Ontarians know the struggle.

Really I just prepare to spend X% of my annual income on skiing. Whatever that lets me do, I just make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44 View Post
    All in, inbounds and out, skiing is pretty expensive. For me, lift tickets are a really small part of it. Gas, plowing, real estate taxes, propane, gear, on and on.
    I don't think you can really include plowing, real estate taxes, etc. The question isn't "cost of skiing vs. ceasing to exist on this planet."

If I wasn't paying money for a lift ticket, I'd still be doing... something. Even if I didn't ski, I'd still be paying to plow my driveway, paying taxes and utilities for my house, paying for gas to drive to whatever other thing I was doing, paying for food and beer, etc. The thing that sets skiing apart is the single day / seasonal cost of lift passes.

If you told me I could pay $200 and get a 36" day at Bridger Bowl with everything open (eventually), I'd hand over my credit card. If someone was kind enough to crash and thoroughly block the road 5 minutes after I got through, I'd probably be willing to kick $100 towards their GoFundMe. Heck, I'd pay $200 for a sleeper pow day (i.e. less than 6" forecast and reported at 9 a.m. with 12" piled up in the woods) at a midmarket area like Red Lodge Mountain or Bolton Valley, as long as there was a base under the pow.

But as far as real-world, where conditions aren't guaranteed, I find it hard to intentionally swallow much more than $150 for a day of skiing, including ancillary costs (if I have to drive 100 miles, that only leaves something like $50 for lift access). Now, as to actual cost per day on snow, er, that's a tough one. Financially, working part-time as a race coach probably costs me more in the long run (once you figure in opportunity cost and such) than it saves, but I'm not about to give that up, and the incidental per-day cost is negative for most of my on-snow days (but I'm not just "going skiing" most of the time, unless we get lucky and our race or training day gets scratched by powder).

I did say "intentionally", though, so sled skiing misadventures might top that dollar-per-day amount, or you could also argue that the day I broke my leg tops my dollars-per-day ratio, what with $1,500-$2k in out-of-pocket medical costs (which was amazingly lucky, had just switched from a much higher deductible) and not being able to leave the house for a while. It was still one of my top-10 all time given what the skiing was like prior to breaking myself, though.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I don't think you can really include plowing, real estate taxes, etc. The question isn't "cost of skiing vs. ceasing to exist on this planet."

If I wasn't paying money for a lift ticket, I'd still be doing... something. Even if I didn't ski, I'd still be paying to plow my driveway, paying taxes and utilities for my house, paying for gas to drive to whatever other thing I was doing, paying for food and beer, etc. The thing that sets skiing apart is the single day / seasonal cost of lift passes.
    Kind of a trick question though. More than once in my career, I've received job offers from my employers at much higher salary in states without skiing or much snow and a lot lower property costs. I stayed for skiing, and I guess mountain biking and kayaking as close seconds. I think in certain circumstances, some of the ancillary expenses and opportunity cost could be factored in.

Depending on the year, I spend $10-15/day at my local hills. And have paid a lot more on vacations to "big" hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Kind of a trick question though. More than once in my career, I've received job offers from my employers at much higher salary in states without skiing or much snow and a lot lower property costs. I stayed for skiing, and I guess mountain biking and kayaking as close seconds. I think in certain circumstances, some of the ancillary expenses and opportunity cost could be factored in.

Depending on the year, I spend $10-15/day at my local hills. And have paid a lot more on vacations to "big" hills.
    It's certainly possible to live somewhere flat and warm and make good money while spending relatively little on housing. But it's not like you're just gonna move there and sit on the couch and watch TV. You'll find something to occupy your time (and money). Or you'll spend a bunch of money to travel to places that don't suck. Or maybe you do just sit on the couch - then you're gonna have to spend a bunch of money on medical professionals to deal with your rapid onset insanity.

I think I still spend more money on mountain biking than skiing. The equipment costs (a lot) more, the equipment breaks (a lot) more, and it's easier for me to justify trips to go biking since I can camp and I don't have to pay for lift tickets, even though by the time I factor in gas and other incidental expenses, it probably costs nearly as much as it would to go ski somewhere for a weekend.

Doing almost anything "seriously" gets expensive. Skiing ultimately isn't all that different.

Okay, here's an example. Live somewhere warm and surf, lease a condo for a ski season, buy passes, and do a 10 how round trip on weekends like some here do and then ski. Remove skiing. Surf more. Seems cheaper. My personal example was forgoing six figure plus raises in areas where I could pay for a house in a year or two, and not ski very much. Sure, I'd travel some but between the extra income and cheap property, I could have afforded to do a lot of not skiing cool things and still come out financially ahead of staying somewhere because I like skiing.

Not saying most wouldn't find other ways to spend the money but skiing as a lifestyle seems to add more expenses than a lot of hobbies.

My only point is skiers make personal and financial sacrifices in some cases to be skiers.

I paid full price at Jackson Hole one day several years ago, I think I paid $140. I had a few 1/2 price vouchers that trip so one full day was worth it. Not sure I'd pay that again.

I'm willing to pay $80 or for a day at good mountain with decent conditions. I paid $75 for a md week powder day at Mad River this year which was worth every penny.

I didn't get a fancy resort pass this year due to COVID, but I'll pony up $1k for a pass next year and hope to ski enough to get it to around $20/day.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

While I would agree you can't really include plowing, real estate taxes, etc as you pay those where ever you live, for me there is the wear and tear of 400 mile drives one way, numerous times a season, gas and lodging. It is much cheaper to stay home, drive 30 minutes to my favorite break and hang out with 30+ guys for a few hours while I catch 6-10 waves at no cost. I love to surf, it is cheap to do once you have a board and wet suit, but the crowds these days will keep me spending whatever to ski.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

cost to get to-from the skiing, buy a lift ticket, overnight if required is the simple question,

mixing in the VaCa RE just muddies up the water cuz you can chose it but don't really need it to go sking
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I think of a season pass as an investment for well being, mental and physical health enrichment. I like to make sure I get my monies worth by getting enough days in that if I did buy day tickets I at least break even. this year I'm probably at about 35 bucks a day. I haven't skied very much but enough to do better tan breaking even.

When you have a local hill and season pass there it's really nice to break out of work or whatever you're doing any given day and get out to ski for a few hours even if it's just two or three. I wouldn't do that buying a day ticket. If I spent 100 bucks or more for a day pass I'd feel pretty darn locked into skiing a full day. I don't need that sort of stress. this mentality actually gets people hurt. They are riding all day, drinking a bit and then towards the end of the day they get fatigued and some get hurt.

So the season pass investment is worth more than just figuring out that math I guess. I think something that's getting lost with these mega passes and people skiing all over the place now is that they are missing out on the whole local hill, community vibe deal that's so cool at some places. Oh well, things change.

For a day pass though....what would I spend? that depends, if I'm taking my daughter on a ski vacation I guess I'll spend whatever I can but this is going to limit our days. I'm definitely not going to go to Jackson when the lines are suoer crazy and dish out that kind of coin. I'll look at other places where I know we can get a nice and less stressful experience like at Taos. I don't need to be at JXN or Snowbird to have a good time and in fact, if it's super busy I won't enjoy it no matter how good the skiing is. I'm done with that shit. Rope drops? Are you kidding me, that stuff sucks so much. I'd rather ski moguls and wind buffed chalky steeps and save my money for dope food and beverages while hanging out with my kiddo.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

One thing I'm glad Jackson does is they don't do the whole rope drop game. It's definitely a part of managing the terrain we have but they won't open the lift that services that zone and it really prevents a whole lot of fuckery.
    Live Free or Die

As little as possible but always, whatever it takes.

Never not had a season pass, always been part of the ski equation. Despite being fortunate to have crushed several lifetimes worth of pow, I'm still eager for the next turn.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post

Never not had a season pass, always been part of the ski equation. Despite being fortunate to have crushed several lifetimes worth of pow, I'm still eager for the next turn.
    ^^ This. 54 years in skiing, season passes for the last 50 of those years. I always viewed working as a means to an end with the end being the ability to feed the passion. What use is the money if you're not funding something that is your true passion?

Day one is really expensive, the rest of the days are free.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post

I still love skiing but I can't say that I still share the fire a bunch of folks on here have. there's other things now that get my attention and if I stay as focused on the skiing I'll miss out on the new experiences. Being poor can be a struggle. If money were no option I'm sure I'd feel differently.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Day one is really expensive, the rest of the days are free.
    Huh??? I like the way you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

All things considered the period 2004-2014 or so, when the fam was young, was pretty sweet. Most major resorts were $60-ish full boat ticket, and most would either discount or let 12 and under ski free. For a while co i worked for had major operations in Jackson, 4 corners, montrose, Rifle, etc. so often got free lifties. Airfares Atl to Den, SLC, Jackson, Sacramento could be had for 25k miles a pop. We did some pretty damn cheep family trips. The last one we did was 2017 SLT with no discounts other than airfare 25k miles. Adult lifties 100+ each...ouch.

I cannot imagine what that trip from the east coast runs now....
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Skied there today with Laurie, Bill and Maisie. Embarrassed to say it was my first day ever. Fuck it was good, snow was primo. Skied run 5. Thanks Brian!

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    All things considered the period 2004-2014 or so, when the fam was young, was pretty sweet. Most major resorts were $60-ish full boat ticket, and most would either discount or let 12 and under ski free. For a while co i worked for had major operations in Jackson, 4 corners, montrose, Rifle, etc. so often got free lifties. Airfares Atl to Den, SLC, Jackson, Sacramento could be had for 25k miles a pop. We did some pretty damn cheep family trips. The last one we did was 2017 SLT with no discounts other than airfare 25k miles. Adult lifties 100+ each...ouch.

I cannot imagine what that trip from the east coast runs now....
    Now imagine if you're travelling to the USA from Canada. Yikes!

But that rocky mountain sunshine is priceless.