Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stormrider / MX88/98 / Mantra etc. (No New Snow Ski)

Hey all,

Mostly lurk lately, but figured I would post since I haven't found any direct comparisons of these 3. Thinking of adding a mid-waist ski for no new / light snow out west (Big Sky, Tahoe, Colorado) to compliment a 115ish waist ski I like anytime there is soft snow to be found. As reference, my every day ski has been DPS 112 RPCs (115), and this year mixed in a whitedot altum 114 which is fun but not nearly as much ski as the RPCs. I've been thinking about a stormrider (probably 95, maybe 88), an MX98 (again, could be convinced to go 88), or maybe a mantra (grew up skiing them but haven't skied the last few generations). Brahma would also be a logical choice. I've read the stormrider and MX threads, any direct comparisons or recommendations would be helpful.
    "Dude - I'd kick his ass. I can take my ski-off so fucking fast." - Jongsy

Quote Originally Posted by vinnay View Post
    Hey all,

Mostly lurk lately, but figured I would post since I haven't found any direct comparisons of these 3. Thinking of adding a mid-waist ski for no new / light snow out west (Big Sky, Tahoe, Colorado) to compliment a 115ish waist ski I like anytime there is soft snow to be found. As reference, my every day ski has been DPS 112 RPCs (115), and this year mixed in a whitedot altum 114 which is fun but not nearly as much ski as the RPCs. I've been thinking about a stormrider (probably 95, maybe 88), an MX98 (again, could be convinced to go 88), or maybe a mantra (grew up skiing them but haven't skied the last few generations). Brahma would also be a logical choice. I've read the stormrider and MX threads, any direct comparisons or recommendations would be helpful.
    Haven’t skied the stocklis. The current Brahma is a great ski. Great suspension and very long effective edge for groomers. Better than the mx98 in tight places - bumps or trees IMO - but neither is super comfortable to me in those conditions.

Most versatile options would be the new M6 or the mantra 102 compared to the Brahma and MX series. I’ve skid both mantras a dozen times this year and can’t find anything they don’t do well for little new snow skiing. If you’re only going to get one, I would probably pick the new m6 - it’s very good on groomers, maneuverable and easy enough and pretty forgiving in bumps and trees - actually very easy in those conditions that aren’t too tight. On the same run I have no problem taking them through trees, bumps, groomers - fantastic edge hold on ice and firmer conditions and a lot of fun if there’s pushed around soft snow, and low swing weight - can plow through it pretty well or skip across little pushed around piles. Tons of fun in pretty much all low snow conditions. I’m more of an explore the mountain type of skier (including carving up groomers) and find them to be nearly perfect. Same pretty much goes for the M102 - it’s is a phenomenal ski and has a higher comfort level at extremely high speeds, and is heftier. Little bit more comfortable if there’s refrozen un groomed crud (I do like the new bonafide a bit more for refrozen crud though but don’t like it as much in tight terrain as either mantra). I also notice the skinnier waist of the m6 - it skis groomers like a narrower ski.

Really can’t go wrong with either mantra - they’re very versatile. If you want something a little more lively I would go with the M6 and if you want more of a charger would go m102. Also would go with the m2 if you want to ski tracked out heavier snow up to 8-12 inches. They’re probably my two favorite skis this year and I’ve skid about 12-18 skis this year.

As a disclaimer I also tend to not prefer skis under 90 underfoot, would rather be on a mid 90s ski even on ice. Also I’ve skid only on the east coast this year since not flying out west.

Thanks MD, going to try and demo the new mantras. Any lovers of the MX or stormriders around to weigh in?

Haven't been on an MX in quite a while but should have a pair of 14/15 SR95's showing up any day. 192's. From what I've read it should be a phenomenal low tide ski to go along with OG Bibby's. Will report as soon as I get them mounted up and on the hill

Thanks, interested to hear. What size are you? I’m 5’11 180, was thinking I’d go 184 in the SRs even though I mostly ski 187-190s in the 115 range.

The MX and some years & models of SR have squaretails, the others do not. That alone will change quite dramatically the feel and personality of the skis. Also note that the radius on SRs is all over the place and sometimes has changed a bit year to year.

The MX and some of the SR will perform significantly better on the piste than the others. The mantras and bigger SRs will "freeski" a little better. If you haven't skied on a fully cambered ski without rise/rocker in a while the MX might catch you off guard at first. They are lots of fun and rewarding skis that want to arch full turns with a locked in tail. Maybe the new black version of the MX negates all of that?

MX vs SR- MX have a very round flex while SR are generally softish in the tip progressing to stiff underfoot and tails. I believe the newer SR have had the tips stiffened up a bit from where they were before. If you care about wood, unfortunately Stockli seems to be putting more and more balsa in SR series, the Kastle are poplar & beech.

I'm 5'11" and about 220lb at the moment. Usually most comfortable with the longest length in most, but not all, skis.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnay View Post
    Hey all,

Also a fan of the (new) RPC in 185. Running the Kastle FX96 HP in 180 as my hard snow ski and it’s great.

I’ve got two days on 105 Stormriders in 186 - from 2019
    Stiff, damp, heavy, fast
    It’s like a turbo Carrera mated with a Kenworth tractor
    Crushes PNW crud (the purpose of this spot in quiver)
    Big stiff shovel, long effective edge and flat tail means it Carves well on anything from 6” variable crud to soft ‘Roy when driving from front seat.
    Very high speed limit. Very stable at speed and easy to exceed comfort zone

Punishes you for falling asleep or getting in the back seat.
    Drive them and they will love you long time

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    The MX and some years & models of SR have squaretails, the others do not. That alone will change quite dramatically the feel and personality of the skis. Also note that the radius on SRs is all over the place and sometimes has changed a bit year to year.

MX vs SR- MX have a very round flex while SR are generally softish in the tip progressing to stiff underfoot and tails. I believe the newer SR have had the tips stiffened up a bit from where they were before. If you care about wood, unfortunately Stockli seems to be putting more and more balsa in SR series, the Kastle are poplar & beech.
    Agree. Had some MX88s (2016 model) with square tail and with the right size they’re unshakeable and more versatile than you’d think. I had 178s (170 lbs), and wished they were 184s but still liked them. Was surprised at how well the square tails both held and released when desired.

Thanks - going to try and demo the MX88 and mantra soon.

I have about 5 days on 2020 mx89. Bought on a deal from last season to replace old burly dynastar mythic. It’s my east coast ripper. Awesome ski. Round flex but not as stiff as dynastar. Construction top notch with hard base a good edging. I mounted tele and will also mount alpine with inserts. Ski likes to turn with 18 radius, but gives back when pressured. Somewhat demanding on tele, but well worth it.

Can't speak to the Kastle but when we send out Mantra M5 and SR88 as demos with the same skier 99% of the time the skier chooses the Stockli. I find for any given waist width the Stockli has a wider range of use compred to other brands. Me personally i like the SR 88 mor than the M5, the SR95 more than the M102 and the SR105 more than the K108. I'm a Volkl fanboy but head to head I'm taking the Stockli out of the rack if it's available.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    Can't speak to the Kastle but when we send out Mantra M5 and SR88 as demos with the same skier 99% of the time the skier chooses the Stockli. I find for any given waist width the Stockli has a wider range of use compred to other brands. Me personally i like the SR 88 mor than the M5, the SR95 more than the M102 and the SR105 more than the K108. I'm a Volkl fanboy but head to head I'm taking the Stockli out of the rack if it's available.
    waxman, what’s the verdict on the new SR95? I’m on the ‘12/13 green version. They got soft shortly after, but new iterations have beefed back up? Is that correct? FWIW, I didn’t enjoy the SR88’s soft tip and tight radius; much prefer my ‘06 Scot Schmidt in that waist width.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    waxman, what’s the verdict on the new SR95? I’m on the ‘12/13 green version. They got soft shortly after, but new iterations have beefed back up? Is that correct? FWIW, I didn’t enjoy the SR88’s soft tip and tight radius; much prefer my ‘06 Scot Schmidt in that waist width.
    it's one of our staples so I only did two runs on it for the test day as I needed to get on some different new models, I would say not as stiff as yours if i'm thinking of the same model year, as mentioned elsewhere I'm 5'9" 165-170 like to ski old man fast and usually chasing my FIS aged kids (meeting them at the chair more than "chasing" some would say) the last two seasons of SR95 and the one coming are great but maybe not as widebody GS as yours? I've taken them to our local ice factory Nakiska and also cat skiing and never felt at a disadvantage
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    it's one of our staples so I only did two runs on it for the test day as I needed to get on some different new models, I would say not as stiff as yours if i'm thinking of the same model year, as mentioned elsewhere I'm 5'9" 165-170 like to ski old man fast and usually chasing my FIS aged kids (meeting them at the chair more than "chasing" some would say) the last two seasons of SR95 and the one coming are great but maybe not as widebody GS as yours? I've taken them to our local ice factory Nakiska and also cat skiing and never felt at a disadvantage
    Copy, thanks.

The older green ones are just Stockli stiff; still relatively soft in the first and last 10% of the ski.

The most recent year I skied was the one with the carbon insert tips and a tighter radius, (maybe 2016?) and I was not terribly impressed. Still felt like a stockli, but lacked rebound and didn’t inspire confidence at speed. Maybe they were just a little too forgiving to be fun. For a longish ski with a tight radius, I much prefer something like the old mx88 (188, 21m vs SR 95 192, 21m), because at least it’s stiff enough not to get twitchy at speed. I just don’t like the combo of long/soft/turny, does nothing for me.

Thanks Waxman, super helpful. How would you compare the stocklis to the dynastar LPs / M-pro105?

Next years FX gets metal back. Both 96 and 106, and both come in 184 length.

Bump for any stormrider / legend pro comparisons...

I’ve got the cherry MX98, Brahmas, and Rustler 9s. Lately I’ve been grabbing the Rustler 9s more then the other two. Worth checking out, they are more maneuverable and playful then the other two, and carve almost as well, like 90% as well. I haven’t skied the new black MX98, have heard it’s good, but not like the cherry tip one. I never have a bad day on the Brahma or MX98. If you find the red tip MX98, be careful, they are REALLY stiff.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sorry, I have not skied the LP 105 since I worked for Dynastar. Owned the 18x and 192. I find the Stockli "easier" to use all mountain in my current old and decrepit state. The 105 is/was a charger that I had too many claim was too hard to ski, pussies, although I'm not sure I could ski the 192 these days post injury.
    fire

rails are for trains

www.theguideshut.ca

Curious, I hav the M5’s, 96MM and do like them a lot. How would one compare those to the M6?

I have been using my M5’s for everything from groomers to boot deep kind of days, and do like their do-everything competently behaviour. I have old school Rossi S7 (114mm I think underfoot) for powder and an old pair of P700 Rossis for total groomer days.

Really looking to upgrade the powder skis next, and/or a pair of Nordica Doberman SL for hard snow days. But the M6’s have me curious....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

I'll just chime in late here.
    The MX88 ^%$%^&*. Rails. That ski is fun, you can roll your ankles and leave a 4 inch deep trench on both skis at 100 mph. No speed limit, great energy coming out of a turn. Stable, race ski confidence. I don't love them off the groomers, that's not why they exist.
    live the life.

….There’s a bunch of these high pressure ski threads popping up….

For those that don’t have Stockli/Kastle money….

Who has time on the MPro90, Kendo, Brahma?

Does a modern Head monster 88 exist?

What else is in this category is worth looking at?

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    ….There’s a bunch of these high pressure ski threads popping up….

For those that don’t have Stockli/Kastle money….

Who has time on the MPro90, Kendo, Brahma?

Does a modern Head monster 88 exist?

What else is in this category is worth looking at?

Just start searching. I found some used mx83s on here for a good deal on Kastles, thanks kootenai. I found some new 2011 Stockli Stormrider XXLs for sweetbippy from CDS for $299.