Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    50 miles on the mesa is a metric shit ton in my book. Strong work.
    Seriously.

What area should we stay in for a week in late March (AirBnb/condo, not camping)? We will have at least two kids, 6 and 8, and the 8-year-old is a pretty solid rider, limited mainly by long climbs. We may or may not have grandparents to help watch kids. We don't expect to ride all day every day or anything but would like to be close to decent riding, hiking, and tacos.

Just looking at Trailforks, it seems like we'd want to be near either Santa Clara or Hurricane/La Verkin. Anyone have more info on the best areas for a family? If you've got specific recommendations on properties with pools, I'm listening.

I can't really recommend any AirBnb/condo options, but I have an 8yo and a 6yo also. Some of the areas that they did well in are the Green Valley area (specifically Bearclaw Poppi flow trails - the 8yo loved this and the 6yo did really well both climbing and descending) and Desert Canyons.

Church Rocks and Chuckwalla would be challenging (in a good way) for the 8yo as would the Practice loop and other blue trails on Gooseberry. I did not ride anything on Hurricane Cliffs but would probably take the kids back there next time to give it a go.

As far as other activities, there are a ton of petrified sand dunes to run around on in Snow Canyon state park and some regular sand to play in also. We camped there two years in a row and they really love it. If you need any further info, please PM me as we were there just two weeks ago.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    What area should we stay in for a week in late March (AirBnb/condo, not camping)? We will have at least two kids, 6 and 8, and the 8-year-old is a pretty solid rider, limited mainly by long climbs. We may or may not have grandparents to help watch kids. We don't expect to ride all day every day or anything but would like to be close to decent riding, hiking, and tacos.

Just looking at Trailforks, it seems like we'd want to be near either Santa Clara or Hurricane/La Verkin. Anyone have more info on the best areas for a family? If you've got specific recommendations on properties with pools, I'm listening.
    If looking at trailforks, there are a ton of AirBnB condos right at the Green Valley trailhead (Zen, Barrel, Stucki/Bearclaw). Las Palmas, Sports Village, World Mark...as far as I know they all have pools, some have indoor-outdoor pools. Easy and short ride from the condo to the trails. I didn't go down there this winter, but last winter they were developing the area right at the trailhead, maybe someone can chime in on how much that has changed.

Awesome...thanks. The number of cheap townhouses available right next to Green Mountain is wild.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Just did two quick days based out of Sheep Road BLM after 3 days in Moab.

Jem Trails - very mellow, would be great for kids. Good place for young or old to work on good old fashioned cornering on somewhat predictable dirt

Zen - Pretty cool. Not marked well at all though. I should have ridden Barrel and more in the area.

Undisclosed > Dig It > Grafton - Super cool area. Some really loose dirt and babyheads. Grafton is fucking gnar city.

I will be back ASAP. Seems like the area is really worth a solid week with a basecamp and riding more stuff everyday.

Part of me gets why people live in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post

I'm currently at a vrbo in laverkin that is a clean 3 bed/2 bath that can do 7 people. No pool, but there's a nice playset in the back. It's relatively cheap too by my standards. Pm if your curious.

Bump. Going to be out there the first week of August for wife's work trip.

Q: can one escape the heat without heading to the mountains? Won't be able to stray far. Trying to decide if it's worth working in a hobby, or if I'm just going to have a productive air conditioned work week with a nice view.

It will be scorching hot, but you should be able to ride starting at sunrise, or time it so you end at last light. There are plenty of fun shorter rides, and most systems have options to bail when the heat gets unbearable.

Temps would be a bit cooler in Cedar City maybe an hour north, and cooler yet if you can get up to Brian Head. Cedar City has some shorter rides, stuff in Brian Head tends to be longer rides or shuttles. Hurricane has the riding I like best and might be a few degrees less but not much.

If you can make it to Brian head, there’s a loop that doesn’t require shuttles. Haven’t ridden it in 10 years but it’s the louder loop or louder pond loop. It’s at 10k and will save you from the heat. Besides that, bring lights and start at zero dark and ride as the sun comes up. Zen, barrel roll, bear claw poppy, church rocks are all basically “in” st. George or surrounding towns. Hurricane is a bit more of a drive but little creek, guacamole are two must hits for me

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

+1 to starting in the dark. Also, just a random data point, but when we were around Hurricane a month ago it was a tale of two tourist spots: Zion was insane even with 2x the normal buses (bike you fatheads!) but in two days out on LCM we never even saw another car in the parking lot. One single set of tracks since the last (not at all recent) rain in a bunch of spots, even. Surreal. GBM seemed about normal.

Thanks all! I figured the only answer was early morning. I'll see what I can do. It might be better to demo a bike for this trip given the uncertainty.

Speaking of demos, does anyone rent bikes to coincide with early morning rides in St George? OTE in Hurricane charges more for an overnight rental and doesn't open until it's too hot to ride (unless it's October).

I was up at Brian Head two weekends ago. Conditions were great. The new Dark Hollow is hittin. Blowhard is one of my most favorite trails anywhere and Bunker is always fun. The park is nasty, gotts to pedal for some of them hits and the airs are good, hucks to chunder. I love that place!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

The Navajo lake/ Virgin river rim area is at 9000' and great for summer riding. You can break it off into as small or big chunks as you like. Make sure it's been cut out though.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I was up at Brian Head two weekends ago. Conditions were great. The new Dark Hollow is hittin. Blowhard is one of my most favorite trails anywhere and Bunker is always fun. The park is nasty, gotts to pedal for some of them hits and the airs are good, hucks to chunder. I love that place!
    Dang, we were there for the DH race, would have loved to meet you. My kid is still on 24s and was making short work of the bike park gnar. I'm glad I didn't race so I don't have to know how little time I can still put on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Dang, we were there for the DH race, would have loved to meet you. My kid is still on 24s and was making short work of the bike park gnar. I'm glad I didn't race so I don't have to know how little time I can still put on him.
    Nice! I rode the chair with a 14 year old racer. I hear that course is fun, I haven't actually ridden it. I get trapped into Glitter laps with a few Timberlines thrown in. I'm so in love with that area.

Get a lap on Dark Hollow next time you're there. It's different than the old trail but as long as you're open to that I guarantee it will put a big ole smile on your mug!

For the OP, if you haven't ridden Thunder Mountain you should. It's not my favorite trail to be honest but it's definitely a bucket list sort of ride. The hoodoos are so sick along that one. It's got some pretty brutal climbs on it but it all becomes worth it for the last handful of miles as it drops steeply through the rock formations.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Get a lap on Dark Hollow next time you're there. It's different than the old trail but as long as you're open to that I guarantee it will put a big ole smile on your mug!
    I was pushing hard for that and/or a Blowhard lap on Sunday but all the kids wanted to do was fish.

Hey guys, need some advice for a warmup lap near St. George (city). I know Goose, Little,Guac , JEM, etc like the back of my hand, but I haven’t ridden near town in over a decade. Looking for something a little chunky, but not too chunky, to test out my new shoulder on before committing to a Little Creek lap the next day. Any suggestions or intel? I know there is all sorts of new stuff, all I really know is wire Mesa and Bear Poppy, neither of which I want to do.
    Thanks!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I'm not familiar with Little Creek but here are a few ideas in ascending order:

1. Church rocks
    2. Turtle Wall
    3. Paradise Rim
    4. Barrel*
    5. Zen

I rode barrel once in 2020 and my memory isn't great.

Looking forward to hearing what others recommend - I'll be there for a week starting 3/19.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Hey guys, need some advice for a warmup lap near St. George (city). I know Goose, Little,Guac , JEM, etc like the back of my hand, but I haven’t ridden near town in over a decade. Looking for something a little chunky, but not too chunky, to test out my new shoulder on before committing to a Little Creek lap the next day. Any suggestions or intel? I know there is all sorts of new stuff, all I really know is wire Mesa and Bear Poppy, neither of which I want to do.
    Thanks!
    The Santa Clara trails (Sidewinder, barrel roll etc) would fit the bill. Fun network. Church Rocks also.

^^^ What Panchosdad said. Do a loop on Sidewinder/Barrel Roll, and add the Rimrock stuff in if you need more mileage. It’s pretty fun, fairly mellow, and has incredible views.

I would avoid Turtle Wall and Paradise Rim altogether... it’s a nice nature walk. As a bike ride, it sucks and Isn’t worth the time. If you want something closer to Hurkin, then I’d go with Prospector and Church Rocks.

St George questions

The ride you seek is either church rocks or barrel roll. Church rocks is fun but barrel roll is one of my favorites out there. If you can get to the upper lot, great but you may need to start by climbing cove wash access now. Then climb barrel roll clockwise. Good mix of a little chunk here and there and some smooth single track.

Prospector to church rocks is fun. Church rocks itself is a pretty short loop, adding the prospector out and back from the north adds some miles but can be boring. Another kind of chunky one. I liken it to the practice loop at slick rock. Good short test piece for the area.

It’s close to town and isn’t a sidewalk like bearclaw. The barrel/zen area is great but a bit more chunk than you’re probably looking for on a new shoulder. Guacamole also fits the bill but it’s a good ways from St. g.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I parked at the Cove Wash TH back in October... did they close it off recently? Otherwise the dirt rod up to the lot is super easy to drive in any vehicle.