Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Never knew labs were the perpetually hammered college freshman of the dog world.
    Heh. Pretty good description.

Our young dog has had the shits for two solid weeks and my wife's at the vet with him right now. Yesterday he puked up about half a tennis ball, I'm wondering where the other half is.

Having a dog was arguably the highlight of my childhood. I got her a little younger than your son (I was 6) but it taught me responsibility. I fed and walked her every day etc. We were pals. Let him have a dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

"fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    <snip> maybe try to spend some time visiting shelters participating in adoption events and involving yourselves more with dogs, so that he can get a feel for what is required to have responsibility for one.
    Around here you can also foster dogs "temporarily" from places that train service dogs. We did this a couple times for a week or two at a stretch... good way to try before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Heh. Pretty good description.
    as the owner of a 9 month old black lab, it is exactly on point.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The great Bill Burr can help in your decision making....

What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

OP, you didn't really expect to get anything but "go for it" responses, did you?

Your kid is right. A Gecko is not a dog. It's nothing more than shelf decoration. I understand your frustration that he doesn't care for it, but it is not the same. A dog forces your acknowledgement of it's existence.

Get a young dog/puppy and sign up for hands on puppy training - FOR YOUR SON. The training isn't for the dog, it's for the owner to learn how to be responsible & Alpha.

I've been told that Mom and the kid will do everything to take of the dog and I can have as little involvement as I'd like.

I know that you are too smart of a guy to believe this. When Schoko died Uta and I decided that we would wait at least a couple of years before considering another dog. My daughter cried for a month and swore up-and-down that if we did get a new dog she would take care of it and I would have no or more less responsibility with a dog that I wanted. At the time she was in sixth grade. Well, she did not take care of the dog for one day. Then, she went away to college. As a senior she adopted a dog. She brought it back to Utah and immediately gave it to me. The dog is now mine.

I don’t think that my daughter is unique in this regard. Bottom line is if you want a dog or if you want to make your son happy, get it. But, be prepared to take care of it
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    as the owner of a 9 month old black lab, it is exactly on point.
    Labs are the only dogs I've ever owned, to include the current model, and that is spot. Fucking. On........To the OP........do it.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Lest not forget that the first full episode of The Simpsons was about their getting Santa’s Little Helper, and by god, Bart still takes full care of him all of these years later!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Bring him over. I got 2 boys that would love to show him the ropes. Seriously.

My kid did the same. Goes with the territory.
    That said, congratulations on your new dog.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Don't fight it

Name:  8k8rbhgkdkd31.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  43.7 KB

Everything you said is right, but they're like kids; if we logically weighed all the pro's and con's ahead of time far fewer of us would be having them.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I have no desire to deal with all the realities of dog ownership that are so thoroughly documented here (https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-dog-gets-into), the inevitable vet bills, the extra PITA created by watershed restrictions where we live, and the extra headaches dog ownership creates when traveling.
    Do whatever dog you have your eyes on a favor and let somebody who actually wants it get it.

Get a Bernese. It’ll be dead before college.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So what kind of dog are you getting?

I wasn't a dog person. I inherited a couple of Irish setters when I got married but I didn't really bond with them. Some years later the kids and my wife were really bugging me to get a dog. We tried a rabbit. Bad decision, and the fucking thing lived twice the normal life span. Finally I broke down and we got a Cocker puppy, who decided I was hers and she was mine. And that was that.

Get a dog. You and your wife will be the ones taking care of it. You won't mind. Dogs and people have evolved together to love each other. People who don't love dogs, people who abuse dogs are simply less evolved by a few hundred thousand years at least.

I will say this--for the family with two working parents and kids in school a small dog from a less active breed makes sense. An active dog needs a lot of exercise every day, not just skiing or hiking on the weekends. Border collies are for people with a lot of sheep.

And for dog's sake don't get a fucking Bernese. Lazy, useless, huge, needy dogs. Both my kids have them. Very popular right now. They're cute. BFD. They're not even good watchdogs--one of my kids' doesn't know how to bark and hides when strangers come in the house, even if her owners aren't home.

The dog will gravitate to who is at the house most and who is dominate.
    Usually mom
    Dont expect it to think of an 11 year old as anything more than another dog
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191219_151219.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	899.8 KB 
ID:	365722

Clearly you need a trial period to see how things will shake out. Would be happy to offer up a 3 yo lab/golden for a few weeks/months/(year?) before fully committing.
    All (mostly) joking aside...we're on our 4th dog in the last 17 years. All were mostly the wife's doing. Hell, i think she brought home our third one just to see how he'd interact w the other two and just never left. I used to be the one getting them the most exercise but now i've kinda stepped back and the wife/kids have taken over most of the dog duties. Kids love the dog to death everyday but def have to pull some teeth at times to get them to take him for some exercise etc.
    My concerns with most our dogs but esp the latest was dealing with him if/when we travel and maybe can't take him with us. I will say, if you have friends/neighbors that have dogs that your dog can play with or that you can drop off for the weekend/week that makes a huge difference. Obviously you'll be returning the favor but well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Some days I'd like another pooch, but then I think of all the crap I couldn't do, and the feeling passes.
    Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Get a dog that will accompany your active lifestyle.
    Such as?

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Cattle dogs make great mountain bike buddies FYI. Dogs take more work but are also more reward. It's like having a toddler in your house for a decade plus in both good and bad ways. Maybe a cat would be good?
    A lot of the areas we ride are strictly off-limits to dogs because of watershed restrictions. The toddler thing is funny because that's how I've always felt--little kids that never grow up and learn to wipe their own asses. Actual toddlers can be awesome, but if toddlerhood lasted 15 years I don't think I would have survived parenting. My mom is severely allergic to cats, so unless we want to never have Grandma visit again a cat is out. Besides, a lot of cats are barely more affectionate than the gecko.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    How interactive is a gecko? Can you really consider that a companion?
    One of his cousins has several geckos. He wanted one too, so we got him one. The point of the gecko story is not that a gecko is a dog substitute. The point is that I've been telling him for at least a year now that if he shows some responsibility and takes care of the gecko (again, literally 2 minutes per week) I'll believe him when he says he'll take care of a dog. But, instead of showing initiative and trying to prove that he's up to the challenge he scoffs at it. That makes me not want to get him a dog just on principle.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Kid will be on to girls soon, anyways... just hold out until he loses interest.
    Right?

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    And, for someone in your shoes, I’d recommend a Pyrenees.
    No. Fuuuuuck no.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    OP, you didn't really expect to get anything but "go for it" responses, did you?
    Enough people here post about their dogs that I knew that would be the majority of responses, but it's hardly been universal and all of my concerns have been validated.

I've been looking through the dog section of KSL and holy shit do people pay insane amounts of money for dogs, and ugliest ones seem to cost the most money for some reason. I will admit, this little guy tugs at my heart strings a bit and the price is right: https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/63110604
    Last edited by Dantheman; 03-03-2021 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Our young dog has had the shits for two solid weeks and my wife's at the vet with him right now. Yesterday he puked up about half a tennis ball, I'm wondering where the other half is.
    mmmmm tennis ball!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4635.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	365723

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Do you really not have any idea where it is? Really?

I'm a dog guy through and through. The only time in my whole life that I didn't own a dog was in college. I now have 2.5 (my two hunting dogs and my wife's asshole Shitzu, Hank). My dogs are one of the most important parts of my life and I wouldn't have it any other way.

That all said, don't do it. They can't be "put away" or put on pause. They are a substantial part of your life, every minute of every day and if you don't really want one, don't get one. I have too many friends that got them in circumstances like yours and at best, they become an accessory. At worst, a major, regretted hassle.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Unless you hate dogs (and you've already stated that you don't) the bottom line is that all of your fears are valid, but none of them really matter. You will get a dog and you will love it. Yes, traveling is harder, you sometimes have to find someone to watch your dog (for free or $), sometimes you drive instead of fly, go camp on BLM land instead of the National Park or camp in the mountains vs the desert, sometimes they have accidents, etc. But a good dog doesn't require that much work (the work is in getting your dog to be a good dog) and on balance the dog will significantly enrich YOUR life, and do even more for your son's life.

Read that last sentence again.

If you are going to get a dog Look no further than the Chesapeake Bay retriever and plan on walking him 5 miles/day.

All others are posers
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix