Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    I have too many friends that got them in circumstances like yours and at best, they become an accessory. At worst, a major, regretted hassle.
    Really? I don't know a single person like that. I know some people who commune with their dogs more than others, but to the very last person, every friend I know that has a dog loves the dog and doesn't regret getting the dog, even if they were initially opposed. Not sure if this is just random odds or if it says something about our friends.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I met a poodle/blue heeler puppy cross yesterday and I think that would be an IDEAL dog for the Dantheman family.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I met a poodle/blue heeler puppy cross yesterday and I think that would be an IDEAL dog for the Dantheman family.
    This little guy definitely tugs at my heart strings a bit, he's fixed/housebroken, and the price is right: https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/63110604

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    At times, I'm sure they are. No so much when they eat their own shit and puke it up on the floor, or eat something else's shit and proceed to coat the walls in explosive diarrhea. There are stories in that thread I can't un-see.
    We've had dogs for over 30 years and I can only remember a couple of instances like that. Hey, shit happens
    Besides our son our dogs have brought us some of the greatest joys in our life.

This little guy definitely tugs at my heart strings a bit, he's fixed/housebroken, and the price is right: https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/63110604
    DO IT!!!!!
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

I say do it. Consider it a learning and teaching opportunity for the entire family. If you're anything like me, I'm sure the boy as been a learning experience too. We have a couple of cats that are so old that they leak out of both ends simultaneously, but I wouldn't trade them for the world. I'm sure the kids will be devastated when they croak soon, but that will be a hell of a teaching opportunity.

My mother used to say that we had a dog so that we knew how to take care of others.

I had 45 continuous yrs of dog ownership and people honestly never understood my attachment to my pets. They were my best friend when living in foreign countries, I brought them to class in college, and I picked the last one up when I got divorced.

Do it. There is no greater bond than a boy and his dog.

I’d reccomend looking for a 2-5 yr old rescue.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Really? I don't know a single person like that. I know some people who commune with their dogs more than others, but to the very last person, every friend I know that has a dog loves the dog and doesn't regret getting the dog, even if they were initially opposed. Not sure if this is just random odds or if it says something about our friends.
    AC's brother bought the family a dog 8ish years ago (a Labradoodle he spent several grand on). He generally doesn't strike me as a sociopath, but I've lost count of how many times I've heard him say that if the dog got run over he wouldn't lose any sleep. The kids don't seem to give much of a shit, "accessory" is apt.

Dogs are great, better than kids. You can actually train them. They're always happy to see you and don't talk back. And you can feed them on the floor and put them in cages and not get a visit from CPS.

Well, it is a Labradoodle.

Good luck with the new dog.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I would be extremely careful with getting a rescue. It is a crapshoot and more often than not there is a reason that the particular dog is a rescue. You may get a good one but then again you may get one with serious psychological problems. Sadly, you will not know that until it’s too late. The only thing worse than being a rescue dog is a dog that is placed up for adoption More than once
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I think the "accessory" phenomenon happens more often with families, not single people or couples. Our dogs are a central part of our family but even then they are often an afterthought, which is fine. Point is, I see families adopt dogs and then more or less forget about them, not individuals.

I will say this--and you all can judge me all you want: My close friend and I have both raised several hunting dogs--lots of training, lots of hours. Quite simply put, having experience training dogs helps you be a better parent. The fundamental, golden law of dog training is to be fair and to be consistent--don't change the rules and don't ask your dog to do something it can't do, setting it up for failure. Celebrate small victories via incremental progress and when things are going badly on a given day, don't force it and don't be disappointed. As a dog trainer these things just become automatic and they are largely very much true with kids--just far more complicated! Weird? Probably. But it makes sense if you think about it.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

He looks like he wants to go for a bike ride!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Snapt and The Rev aren't wrong. Give strong consideration to that.

I hear you on the canyon restrictions thing. I actually choose where to MTB and hike now based on what's good for my dog. It's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    But it makes sense if you think about it.
    I don't even own a dog and I've made that comparison before. Fair and consistent application of rules with rewards and punishments meted out within a tight feedback window.

Also, this is obligatory:

Dogs are fun and you may find that even if you are resistant, you wind up thinking "why did I wait so long to do this?"

With that said, I don't know if you should get a high energy working dog if you don't know for sure that you want a dog. Without good training and exercise, they will run your house.

And as much as it pains me to say it, a rescue can be tough with kids. Both my heelers are rescues- the first one was pretty easy when we got her at 6 months. The other one was 2-3yrs when we adopted and after a few months revealed some significant psychological issues. I love him and wouldn't ever get rid of him, but having a super active dog that can't be fully trusted off leash is kind of rough. Its a shame, as he is a killer biking dog.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Dogs are great, better than kids. You can actually train them. They're always happy to see you and don't talk back. And you can feed them on the floor and put them in cages and not get a visit from CPS.
    Dogs are great. I have had several dogs in my life and up until this latest dog I wouldn't have given this comment second notice. But some dogs do talk back, my latest dog is proof. He is half lab, half shepherd/husky. And he talks back! Feeding him too slowly? Aroooroooroo. Home late from work? Aroooroooroo. Won't let him eat marijuana edible tainted homeless poop? Aroooroooroo. It's both adorable and annoying.

This is a very similar debate and conversation about deciding to have children....

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    He looks like he wants to go for a bike ride!
    We're going to go meet these guys tomorrow night. Apparently they have 5 kids and are out of town every weekend for sports. They want a less chaotic home for him.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    With that said, I don't know if you should get a high energy working dog if you don't know for sure that you want a dog. Without good training and exercise, they will run your house.
    How does that Boxador I posted fit into this advice?

We're going to go meet these guys tomorrow night. Apparently they have 5 kids and are out of town every weekend for sports. They want a less chaotic home for him.
    Man, this always breaks my heart. I just can't even imagine getting a dog and then deciding that it just didn't suit my lifestyle, and then giving it up. More thought should go into the decision than having that as your back up plan. But...people do that with people, so?

How does that Boxador I posted fit into this advice?
    I would say pretty low on the "going to be the alpha over you" scale compared to something like a cattle dog.

Good advise by zzz
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Is he still nutted, or chopped?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    This is a very similar debate and conversation about deciding to have children....
    My Mrs when she was preggo with #1: "Will we love this kid as much as the dog?"

Dogs are merely children you can legally leave home unattended without CPS coming to call.

Nest became empty a little over a year ago, current dog is getting on in years... I began to smell freedom from parental responsibilities. Then the COVIDs hit and we got another pup, and damn she is a veritable joy spreading machine- happiest little pup I've ever seen, her tail never stops moving and she is loaded with personality. I've been enjoying playing with her almost as much as going skiing, certainly more than dealing with some of the skimegedon crowds.
    Move upside and let the man go through...