Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    Have you guys considered some rattlesnake aversion training? I've worked with these guys a bit and was really impressed. Might be worth looking into, especially with where you're gonna be taking the mutt.

https://www.rattlesnakealert.com/

https://kutv.com/news/local/how-a-ut...s-to-stay-away
    Great advice. I still haven't done it with my dogs, mostly 'cause I forget until I see a snake. Fortunately I haven't had any issues, but don't rely on dumb luck like me.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    Have you guys considered some rattlesnake aversion training? [/URL]
    I had no idea that was a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I had no idea that was a thing.
    We did it with our dog. They use an electric collar and beep/low shock the dog as they get close to the snake, which is defanged. The place we used after initial round of sniffing the snake on a mat, then put the snake out in the grass and had us walk in that general direction. My dog was a star pupil and immediately started pulling away from the direction of the snake; wouldn't go near it. There was a 1 yr old Greater Swiss Mtn dog that failed the class though. That dog had no clue where the snake was and basically stepped on it when it was in the grass. Then tried to pick it up. That was even as they were using the e-collar and shocking him. Really funny.
    Another place that does it locally is https://liveoakdogobedienceutah.com/ in Sandy.

Rescue dogs are a crapshoot, try to learn as much as you can about its history.

For training, especially if you get a puppy it's really worth the money to do some basic obedience classes. They will help socialize your dog with others under the supervision of an instructor. She will be able to give you advice on how to handle different situations.

You will also (hopefully) get you dog under stimulus control for the basic commands: sit, lay down, come, heel.

Come tends to be the hardest for many rescues in my experience. A long leash (for correction) and lots of daily practice seems to work best.

Always carry treats. Reward behaviors you want to see more of.

Dogs are awesome, but also a lot of work to make them awesome.

Good luck!

+1 for puppy obedience classes. They are super fun and will jumpstart training and socialization.

Good luck finding a rescue puppy golden or lab….. Those three words don’t go together often…. You could get an older rescue lab or golden. Or a career changed or retired service golden or lab (wait lists are long on those).

I find the AKC character traits pretty accurate. No breed is perfect, all have some downsides. Figure out what character traits matter the most to you and what downsides (barky, sheddy, diggy, etc) are acceptable to live with. I deal with a barky cardigan because she’s amazing in every other way…

Be honest about activity level. How often will you actually exercise and stimulate the pup. The easiest way to a shitty dog is to not exercise a high energy pup.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

the obedience classes ain't for the dog, they're for the dog owners. That class will only be for a few hours a week. the real training comes at home. take your kids to the class with you. it's important that whole family is giving the same commands. it will help the puppy learn faster with less confusion.

I have no personal experience with this but I've seen guides to judging the temperament of an adult dog--aggressive, fearful, defensive, independent, etc. A good shelter will do this but private rescues not so much.
    There are some decent training tips on "lucky Dog" on CBS Sunday mornings, once you get past the schmaltz. It generally takes more than 30 minutes to train a dog.
    You may be able to find group classes for older dogs, but not as common as for pups.
    With 3 and 5 year old energy in the house are you sure you don't want a lower energy dog?

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    the obedience classes ain't for the dog, they're for the dog owners. That class will only be for a few hours a week. the real training comes at home. take your kids to the class with you. it's important that whole family is giving the same commands. it will help the puppy learn faster with less confusion.
    This.

Trigger is doing great. He's turned into an awesome trail dog, it's his happy place.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    +1 for puppy obedience classes. They are super fun and will jumpstart training and socialization.

Good luck finding a rescue puppy golden or lab….. Those three words don’t go together often…. You could get an older rescue lab or golden. Or a career changed or retired service golden or lab (wait lists are long on those).

I find the AKC character traits pretty accurate. No breed is perfect, all have some downsides. Figure out what character traits matter the most to you and what downsides (barky, sheddy, diggy, etc) are acceptable to live with. I deal with a barky cardigan because she’s amazing in every other way…

Be honest about activity level. How often will you actually exercise and stimulate the pup. The easiest way to a shitty dog is to not exercise a high energy pup.]
    this is going on next door^^ my obese neighbor gets a lab puppy, no exercise so its turned into a poorly behaved barker
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Obviously, if you get a young puppy you get to start from scratch. But I think rescue dogs can be a great option, very different from a shelter. At the shelter, it's a crapshoot. But rescue organizations have fosters who will report what they see (chases cats or not, good with kids, etc). And most rescues will take the dog back if it doesn't work out so they don't generally lie (ie, they don't want to say a dog is not aggressive and then have the dog start attacking while you have it).

One of my dogs was a golden rescue, about 18 months when I got him, and he was amazing.

I do agree that the breed traits are generally pretty accurate, but that doesn't help when you get the Heinz 57 model.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Saint Bernard /thread.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Monks of New Skete

Consistency is key

Match the firmness of hand to the dog

Crate Train

The discipline and reward needs to match the dogs behavior, not yours

Give lots of love

Basically, 100% dedication to a training regiment for the 1st year or so will lean to an amazing life for your dog and an incredible bond. You are the alpha dog. Shit bag dogs seem to be a function of the owners with a. no time, effort or plan. b. don't understand a dog/owner relationship c. let their emotions of fear, anger, frustration, etc. flow to their dog.

My son wants a dog

x2 on the Monks, foggy laid it out there.

My guiding principle with a new dog is the more well behaved it is, the more places it can go with me. Shit bag dogs don’t mingle well.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Bumping this after reading the whole thing again.

I’ve got 3 and 5 year old girls in the house that are clamoring for a dog.

I’ve never had a dog as an adult, wife had one when we met that was poorly socialized and had some sort of past trauma that made it a pain in the ass around other dogs (that and the fact she/I didn’t know how to solve that issue) that lived out its days with us. Not an experience I want repeat.

So….

1) Anyone have an accessible book or videos on training a dog? I’m not looking to have a gun dog or some super trained dog, but want it (and family/me by extension) to be well trained, sociable and easy to take along with us wherever we go. I’ll get pro training when/if we get one.

2) Is there a reliable way to find a dog (puppy to be exact) through a rescue that is not going to come with prior abuse, etc?

3) Wife and I both grew up with retrievers (Newfoundland, goldens, labs etc) so tend to lean that way. Other good options for dogs that are good with young kids, mellow and semi- active (I’d like a running buddy for some motivation, but I don’t have ton of space.)?
    the gentle giants they call newfs arent retrievers
    theyre working dogs trained for water rescue and drafting
    and companionships of epic journey's

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Saint Bernard /thread.
    lewis n clark called said lack of water skills matter
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

+1 on crate training. IMHO it’s the secrete sauce of dog obedience. I haven’t put our pup in a crate in years but it was invaluable when she was young.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

X3 on the Monks.

And definitely crate train.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Puppy training-

I find Wolter's books invaluable to successfully train my 3 retrievers. He's mostly hunting oriented so he has a great idea of exactly what dogs are capable of and when. His book "Family Dog" is for those non-hunting types, but all the principles are there. He is pretty insistent on starting at 7 weeks old and his other point, even if it doesn't seem like they're learning they are.

I'm a big fan on the Puppy Aptitude Test

https://www.volharddognutrition.com/...our-puppy-pat/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAz6S8rAffA

There is also information out their on cross breads/mutts and how different breed traits react i.e. how to get the dumb out of a golden and such.

And like everyone else has said. Dogs bruh, they rule.

Get one

Don't ever think you can't teach an old dog new tricks. My wife taught our 12 year old cockapoo to beg relentlessly all day. It was fast and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Saint Bernard /thread.
    Only if you are prepared for your kids to deal with the loss of their dog in 7-8 years. I love them, but the big ones don't last too long...

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    There is also information out their on cross breads/mutts and how different breed traits react i.e. how to get the dumb out of a golden and such.
    Careful what you get there, my Bernese Golden cross is dumb as a rock and as strong and stubborn as a Shire horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I know I’m really just saying this for the joke, but I think when you get these designer mixes, you get the worst of both breeds instead of the best.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I know I’m really just saying this for the joke, but I think when you get these designer mixes, you get the worst of both breeds instead of the best.
    He was a surprise mix.

Wouldn't change him for a moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I had the most rad dog as a kid, a St. Bernard crossed with a golden retriever. Had what I assume were the best qualities of each, he was basically a fucking huge- yooodge golden. Loved to fetch, water, etc but also drooled gallons and was goofy as hell. We got him free, at a yard sale. He didn't live too long unfortunately.

Anyway, no pure breed really appeals to me, especially for kids. They tend to die too young and have weird personality quirks, unless you shell out big bucks. Free mutts are loving as hell, for a long time.