Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lacrosse 2021

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Impeccable coaching makes a difference.
    i think it really comes down to this. good coaching is hard to come by basically everywhere save for the NE. my high school program was middling at best for well over a decade before we started getting players from the local college to coach. made it to the second round of state playoffs that first year with half the talent we had the year before.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Wish mine started in 1-2 instead of 3-4.

It's all about just having fun at that age. 1-2 shouldn't even be playing actual games IMO.

Heck, wish I'd started... ever. As opposed to starting in 2019 playing in old man league with ex collegiate players. But hey, now I have a lot better understanding of what I'm trying to coach.
    I coach the 1-2s. It is serious bizniz. I run conditioning based off Ivan Drago's program. We are having a hard time finding competition at the 1-2 level which makes sense. We had a team travel up from harlan county which is like by newport.

Our town's 3-4 team has 30 plus players split into 3 teams and there are some kids that execute. Lacrosse just got going out here in late 90s with a handful of teams so it is good to see it grow. I am discouraged to hear how much the older kids are traveling as I am not quite on board with that for ball sports.

For you guys who play adult rec league: are you wearing full pads? where is the line drawn on contact and stick checks?

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    For you guys who play adult rec league: are you wearing full pads? where is the line drawn on contact and stick checks?
    That is up to the teams/players to decide.
    We allow full stick checks, bumping and holding (pushing similar but less than a crosscheck) but body checks are seriously frowned upon.
    Practices and scrimmages are mellow, might get some poke bruises from aggressive poles, but you will come home bruised and battered from tournaments.
    This is here in Norcal/reno. East coast and other more serious lax areas I'm sure could be much tougher.
    Young tough guys wear minimal pads (gloves and helmet) but I fully pad up on attack in the masters as I don't want all the welts.

The first tournament I played in, I came in from the wing on a faceoff to the center scrum for a loose ball and just shoulder to shoulder bumped off an opponent to move him out of the scrum and I separated his shoulder. This was masters, with a lot of us who would have been in super masters if they had it, so old fucks with kids and day jobs.
    I felt like a douche and heard a lot of "what the fuck"s even though it was not a hard or vicious check.
    I'm not big, or tough, just unlucky game play.
    Don't be that guy.
    Beer league should be chill.

In truckee we often play casual pickup with no gear, barefoot, 4v4 to full field, whatever the players want.

Old man league is frequently more violent than high school, but not as violent as PLL. You got a bunch of 40+'s on HRT trying to relive their glory days.

Klaus, those are great numbers for those age groups. Would love to chat about your recruitment efforts some time.

Can you smell the toasted Brie?

Big Nantucket Red game today as Darien takes on Brunswick. Public vs Private. Always a tasty match-up.

Definitely not upstate dirtbag lacrosse.

Edit - for those of you waiting on the edge of your seats, Brunswick pulls it out in overtime 9-8. $50k pays off for bragging rights this year.
    Last edited by Stu Gotz; 05-01-2021 at 02:16 PM.

Too bad. I always root for the scruffy publics against the bluebloods even when they're not exactly scruffy.

I've started coaching girls lax this year. 6th grade girls. Some been playing since kindergarten, some just starting. 25girls. 1 team. Keeping the new ones focused and not using practice as a social scene is tough, but I'm having fun. Seeing the new ones improve week after week is kinda neat.

Girls lax is sooo different than men's. Tbh I wish they would allow girls to play with pads and same rules as boys. Good girls lax is like ballet. Good boys lax is much more physical and brutish.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

North Tahoe's 12u boy's league team is coed this year.

First game I didn't know that and was amazed at the number of ponytails hanging out under the helmets, but I though, "eh, it's Tahoe"

Well we got our asses handed to us today. Even with 3 full lines (9v9+goal), and the other team with no subs our girls got wrecked. I lost count at 15 or so to 2.

There were some very bright moments, and I think it's starting to click for many. We are finally seeing what lines play well together. Just need more fundamental work. Bunch of missed shots, bunch of bad defense, like a girl running right up the middle, and our team not understanding how to shift properly (I was on my girl). Felt really bad for our goalie. She's great but when it basically 1 on 1 for her all the time she can't get em all.

Back to the drawing board and Tues/thurs practices will be boring basics.

oh man. Girl's lacrosse. My daughter played. She was good, pretty dominant at attack, but way too many whistles in that game is all I can say.

UVM in tourney for first time.....play Maryland on Sunday. (heard the boys are traveling in style down to MD)

I'm gonna go ahead and take the Terps to win.

Tournament TV schedule: https://usalaxmagazine.com/media/tv-listings

Beloved alma mater Georgetown vs. hated Syracuse at 7:30 PM EDT is must-see TV here.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Tournament TV schedule: https://usalaxmagazine.com/media/tv-listings

Beloved alma mater Georgetown vs. hated Syracuse at 7:30 PM EDT is must-see TV here.
    Go Cuse!! Time to return to the glory days.

Well the normal coach for the girls 5th-6th grade couldn't make the game. I flew solo for the first time. 19 girls + goalie, 11 of which all wanted midfield.

9v9 +goalies. I had 2.5 full midfield lines, 2 full attack lines, and 1 def line.

We lost 12-13, on what I though was a bad 8yd call. Shooting space. My goalie stopped the first shot, but one of my player was out called on a bad call so the 8yd got replayed and my goalie missed. Then game ended.

Rough loss but I'm seeing glimmers of improvement in many. I will likely full time coach next season even though my daughter will be above rec.league age.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Go Cuse!! Time to return to the glory days.
    Maybe next year.

Maybe next year.
    Ha. Always next year.

Desko and Rogers have gotta go. Just too much talent to throw a shoe every year in the tournament.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    Ha. Always next year.

Desko and Rogers have gotta go. Just too much talent to throw a shoe every year in the tournament.
    I was at Cuse during the Powell Bro years. National Title or bust. Can’t believe they can’t turn it around.

Hoyas looked good though.

Drexel put up a good fight against Notre Dame

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Hoyas looked good though.
    Really good. Playing confident at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I was at Cuse during the Powell Bro years. National Title or bust. Can’t believe they can’t turn it around.
    Do they have a set of brothers currently? I got the see the Gaits brothers while I was there. Albino with some national championships.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Drexel put up a good fight against Notre Dame
    They did. I thought they might pull it out.