Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lacrosse 2021

Lacrosse 2021

Short season. Everybody's got issues. Duke and 'Cuse in the title game.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

I watched the Hop-tOSU game last weekend, weird not seeing Pietramala on the sidelines at Homewood. Maybe Hop will be pretty good when they get Epstein back, hard to say yet.

I like the Terps but hard to say how good they are with only 2 games played so far.

I'd really prefer not to see Duke or Carolina in the final and if Cuse could also manage not to be there that would be perrrfect. Cuse got pretty handled by Army so keep hope alive!

I saw a highlight of the Hopkins v Michigan game and Epstein scored four goals (six on the day) which looked identical. Michigan gave him time and space and he was just picking corners. Filthy.

Watched the Duke/Syracuse lacrosse game and I can't believe how good these players are. Just lights out skills.

I've watched a few games. Terps look tough. NCAA needs to stop messing with the faceoff rules every year.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I've watched a few games. Terps look tough. NCAA needs to stop messing with the faceoff rules every year.
    Ha. I know that runs close to your heart. It's almost irrelevant now. Just one infraction after another.

anybody watching duke-uva? shaping up to be a good game.
    swing your fucking sword.

Just looked for it, it's not on here, too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Just looked for it, it's not on here, too bad.
    i only got it on acc network.

I thought it might be om ESPNU but it's college baseball. I'll pass on that.

Cavs take the lead after a five goal in the 2nd.

Any Truckee area Lax mags?

We need help coaching boys 12u lax, no coaching experience needed, knowledge and love of the game preferred though.

Also, hopefully going to get adult pickup games going again when the school year ends.

Pm me for details on either.

Duke with the impressive comeback last seconds tying goal and overtime win over notre dame

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Lacrosse 2021

This thread seems college focused and have always thought highlights make lacrosse feel like a high energy, pretty cool game. My 5th grader played his first game ever today (on a team of kids who are 2-3 years in) and felt like I was watching paint dry. 3-4 guys moving, everyone else standing around. It’s either gotta get better or I hope he gives it up...today rivaled a baseball game.

Cuse 13-11 win over UVA. Big win!!

Went to the Hopkins-Maryland this game this afternoon, sort of. Went to Homewood, couldn't get in because covid, so we watched from outside for the first half but could hardly see anything, so then we bagged it to go watch the second half on TV but even though it was on the was on the listings it wasn't on here. So we flailed. Heard Hop almost took it.

Did see some of Georgetown-Providence and all of OSU-PSU. Hard to tell how good Georgetown is, Providence isn't too strong this year. The OSU-PSU game was a bit of nailbiter even though I don't like either of them much, with Penn State pulling it out.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    This thread seems college focused and have always thought highlights make lacrosse feel like a high energy, pretty cool game. My 5th grader played his first game ever today (on a team of kids who are 2-3 years in) and felt like I was watching paint dry. 3-4 guys moving, everyone else standing around. It’s either gotta get better or I hope he gives it up...today rivaled a baseball game.
    Hmmm? Up in the PNW, I am far from the lacrosse strongholds of the east, however I think the 3-4 teams around here move the ball pretty damn well and the 5-6s are even better. My other kid is on the 1-2 team and they are a bit challenged, figuring out the rules, but still moving fast in spurts making passes and scoring. Comparing it to suffering though little guy baseball is just not right man.

wtf

Guess not a popular post. We’re a hockey and soccer family and he plays at the highest level in both so lax seemed a natural fit. Maybe it’s the level since he’s a newbie and is on the lower level team but even he told me “dad, there’s just a whole lot of standing around”.

Guess we’ll see.

I'm not sure lacrosse is the problem here (or any of the 5th graders). Takes awhile to get good!

One thing 2021 has going for it is our high school season started last week--much prefer this weather to coaching in late feb/early march.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Hmmm? Up in the PNW, I am far from the lacrosse strongholds of the east, however I think the 3-4 teams around here move the ball pretty damn well and the 5-6s are even better. My other kid is on the 1-2 team and they are a bit challenged, figuring out the rules, but still moving fast in spurts making passes and scoring. Comparing it to suffering though little guy baseball is just not right man.
    Man I'm just excited the PNW youth leagues are expanding the way they are. I didn't have lax until high school and that wasn't that long ago. Hope your kids are having fun with it!

Sorry you had that experience but 12u is full field 10v10 lax. If that is slow moving, I hate to say it, you have some inexperienced players, or coaches, or both.
    I coached 2 12u boys games today and between the games, it was non stop end to end action and close to 30 goals posted and there were a lot of new players out there clueless and not contributing, but the experienced players dominated and kept the game moving full speed.

The only thing that slows the game down is a team being so bad they can't hold or pass the ball and too much time is spent in a ground ball scrum, or if a team gets to such a level they are practicing set plays and ball movement (lots of passing around and ball control, but not much scoring/aggression/transition as they are usually dominating the game at that point)

Maybe the team is too big and there are too many on the bench to keep everybody playing, especially the newbs?

Stick with it, watch other games in your league, 14u, HS,, even college and pro on tv/web and see how the game is supposed to progress then come back and tell us if you think its slow.

Edit to correct it was close to 40 goals in the 2 games.

Everyone is rusty after not playing last year. Coaching and conditioning make a big difference in "movement" at that age.

In general, 90 percent of kids in youth lacrosse don't move. Impeccable coaching makes a difference. Talent pool makes a difference. It gets way better in 7/8.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Wish mine started in 1-2 instead of 3-4.

It's all about just having fun at that age. 1-2 shouldn't even be playing actual games IMO.

Heck, wish I'd started... ever. As opposed to starting in 2019 playing in old man league with ex collegiate players. But hey, now I have a lot better understanding of what I'm trying to coach.