Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
    Kudos to you, sir. This same thick-headedness is why I can occasionally be found perusing the internet for a 3-series wagon with a manual, until threads like this snap me back to reality.
    You're in good company here. As mentioned upthread I started an entire thread dedicated to finding and buying worthless headaches of a vehicle.
    I still call it The Jake.

Anyone had experience with the ~2016 Jaguar XE or F-Paces? Wondering if they will suffer the same European maladies the BMWs inevitable do.

I say no. I spoke with a guy who bought a sweet Audi S6 and he was telling me how all these German cars get dirty injectors or something. I believe it. My Porsche leaked anywhere there was rubber and my Audi burned oil as much as that Porsche air cooled.

Buy Toyota, Honda, or Nissan. And never, I mean never, buy anything British. And I used to be one.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I will maintain this opinion until proved otherwise: the Brits build cars with best engines and transmissions
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I say no. I spoke with a guy who bought a sweet Audi S6 and he was telling me how all these German cars get dirty injectors or something. I believe it. My Porsche leaked anywhere there was rubber and my Audi burned oil as much as that Porsche air cooled.

Buy Toyota, Honda, or Nissan. And never, I mean never, buy anything British. And I used to be one.

As with just about any post in this thread, there's grains of truth followed by loads of useless hearsay that is based on model year issues from a decade plus ago.

Yes, most modern (read German) forced injection engines do have carbon buildup issues. It's a $300 walnut-shell cleaning job at a good indy shop and maybe a bit more for upgraded injectors. I did an entire top end refresh and went to R8 injectors and plugs and coils, new chain, new water pump and other small stuff while they were in there and an APR Stage 1 for my Allroad the day it went out of warranty and all that was like ~$2,800. Totally worth it for a car that I plan on keeping for the long haul.

In fact, the rep that Audis are troublesome is very outdated IMO; the BMs on the other hand have given me a million problems, one buyback, and one truly fantastic sports sedan as mentioned upthread.

As for Porsche, they are consistently rated by CR and others as the most reliable car brand, period.

TechTonics, get service records, a PPI and see what you want to budget to refresh it or keep it running should something pop up in the $2-3k range. If that calculus works out, pull the trigger. If it were me though, I'd stay in the Audi family if going German.

Or just get the AMG shift knob, bolt it to a Hyundai, slap a TRG sticker on back and call it a day.

Name:  beauty.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  125.5 KB

You can go older, pussy.

The tires still hold air, kind of.
    One of the tail lights work, sometimes.

But could your dogs ever be truly happy in a non-BMW?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 11.50.42 AM.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	626.5 KB 
ID:	365707
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

15yrs ago-ish consumer report did a piece on motorcycles, it was looking at defects on new bikes

the worst bikes by far were BMW followed by HD,

Honda/ Suzuki/ Yamaha all 3 had roughly the same very low incidence of defects

BUT the highest customer sat. was BMW followed by HD

the japuanese bikes apparently had no defects

but had no soul either
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    15yrs ago-ish consumer report did a piece on motorcycles, it was looking at defects on new bikes

but had no soul either
    I believe I saw a similar piece on Jeeps. Far and away the shittiest vehicles from a reliability/problem standpoint... but one of hte highest customer satisfactions/loyalty.

Just more evidence that people are vain dummies.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

but had no soul either
    Yeah, you hardly ever see a high mileage Japanese bike selling for more than a salvage price--except maybe a Goldwing. Yet a HD or BMW of same mileage hold their value.

Some of the best values are when guys sell their Ducatis prior to the $$ desmo service because they can't afford the maint hit.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    As with just about any post in this thread, there's grains of truth followed by loads of useless hearsay that is based on model year issues from a decade plus ago.

Yes, most modern (read German) forced injection engines do have carbon buildup issues. It's a $300 walnut-shell cleaning job at a good indy shop and maybe a bit more for upgraded injectors. I did an entire top end refresh and went to R8 injectors and plugs and coils, new chain, new water pump and other small stuff while they were in there and an APR Stage 1 for my Allroad the day it went out of warranty and all that was like ~$2,800. Totally worth it for a car that I plan on keeping for the long haul.

In fact, the rep that Audis are troublesome is very outdated IMO; the BMs on the other hand have given me a million problems, one buyback, and one truly fantastic sports sedan as mentioned upthread.

As for Porsche, they are consistently rated by CR and others as the most reliable car brand, period.

TechTonics, get service records, a PPI and see what you want to budget to refresh it or keep it running should something pop up in the $2-3k range. If that calculus works out, pull the trigger. If it were me though, I'd stay in the Audi family if going German.

Or just get the AMG shift knob, bolt it to a Hyundai, slap a TRG sticker on back and call it a day.
    My Porsche mechanic, Gunther, told me all kinds of nightmares on the first gen water cooled porsches. Even told me to dump my 993 before I needed a top end rebuild around 60k miles. He said through 89 was bullet proof. I spent about 3k trying to find a water leak that accumulated in the rear passenger foot well before giving up. I love Porsche’s too, rebuilt a 911t with my dad. But fuck that.

Quote Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
    Kudos to you, sir. This same thick-headedness is why I can occasionally be found perusing the internet for a 3-series wagon with a manual, until threads like this snap me back to reality.
    A 3 pedal 3 series wagon is worth maintaining a 15 year old auto x3 is not

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    But could your dogs ever be truly happy in a non-BMW?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 11.50.42 AM.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	626.5 KB 
ID:	365707
    Honestly anything less than nappa leather, no matter what the marque, is going to disappoint most dogs these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    My Porsche mechanic, Gunther, told me all kinds of nightmares on the first gen water cooled porsches. Even told me to dump my 993 before I needed a top end rebuild around 60k miles. He said through 89 was bullet proof. I spent about 3k trying to find a water leak that accumulated in the rear passenger foot well before giving up. I love Porsche’s too, rebuilt a 911t with my dad. But fuck that.

If only he had known about the forthcoming 993's skyrocketing value in basically any condition.

As an owner of 3 water cools I can tell you that they've all been bulletproof. Even the one I chose to keep, a '00 first gen 996 cab. Sure you can find pages of forum posts screaming about IMS bearings, but the fact of the matter is less than 8% of a portion of those early m97 engines had that fail and less than 1% of the subsequent m97s failed. It's a $3000 insurance policy to replace when you are doing other things in there like the clutch, rear main, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    If only he had known about the forthcoming 993's skyrocketing value in basically any condition.

As an owner of 3 water cools I can tell you that they've all been bulletproof. Even the one I chose to keep, a '00 first gen 996 cab. Sure you can find pages of forum posts screaming about IMS bearings, but the fact of the matter is less than 8% of a portion of those early m97 engines had that fail and less than 1% of the subsequent m97s failed. It's a $3000 insurance policy to replace when you are doing other things in there like the clutch, rear main, etc.
    Yep, sold that 96 993 in 2005 for 42k and bought a minivan when my kids were born. Then I’d stand on the corner and wAtch hubby #2 drive by in it. Life’s a trip.

When I rebuy, I’m taking Gunthers advice and getting an 89 with the g50 trans.

Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    A 3 pedal 3 series wagon is worth maintaining a 15 year old auto x3 is not
    Nailed it.

Just say no. Never have a BMW w/out a warranty. They can eat you alive w repairs and you just keep getting deeper and deeper in the hole and it's very hard to stop throwing good money, after bad.

The happiest BMW experience I had was a lease (heavily subsidized by BMW). Put a lot of miles on it and happily turned it in w/out ever getting socked by a big repair bill. 3 other BMW purchases(new) were extremely expensive to keep on the road driving @ 25,000 miles/yr.

Someone said it earlier- there is some luck involved. I had a B5 A4 turbo that was the best car I’ll ever own. Yes it did take maintenance but nothing crazy. NE rust took it’s toll around 135k.

Now pushing 200k in a Toyota. Unfortunately won’t go back to Audi unless I have serious disposable income. They don’t sell sticks anyway.

Just got gas 2014 bmw 328
    65000 miles foot on break press the start button and Transmission Failure appears and nothing in the book mentioned about what to do I’m an hour away from being towed
    Any ideas. Happy Father’s Day

Quote Originally Posted by yellofin View Post
    Just got gas 2014 bmw 328
    65000 miles foot on break press the start button and Transmission Failure appears and nothing in the book mentioned about what to do I’m an hour away from being towed
    Any ideas. Happy Father’s Day
    Transmission malfunction not failure

Quote Originally Posted by yellofin View Post
    Transmission malfunction not failure
    alternator? how's battery?

Gear selector (park sensor) switch maybe? GL

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    alternator? how's battery?
    Battery seems ok have power