Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    14,380

    Snowcat rides an avalanche

    “I’m a subhuman jizz monkey”

    Thx mods. It’s an awesome signature.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ECO
    Posts
    5,450
    Not his first rodeo.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane/Schweitzer
    Posts
    6,411
    We met a driver at Chatter Creek (I think, don't remember for sure) that was building cat roads at night. He's out by himself, about 1:00 a.m. driving up the road he's cutting in when he gets blasted from the side by an avalanche. Next thing, he's stuck, sitting by himself in a t-shirt and shorts buried to his armpits in snow, inside the cab. I don't remember how long he sat there until he could get someone on the radio but was freezing his ass off waiting for the snowmobiles to come up and get him out. They got the cat unstuck the next day. What a way to spend a night.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    lakeside
    Posts
    863
    Back in the day when I drove cats at Alta, driving in the big storms was awesome, especially if a slope was totally wind loaded. We used to trigger shit all the time. The key is lining up at the top before dropping in, if you are off on your line things could go south quickly. It was always sketch balls being the first to set it loose, then you go for a ride, steering isn't really a thing until track speed matches snow speed, though blade and bar help a little. Good times.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Salida, CO
    Posts
    1,468
    are those bomb shots in the snow above at the end of the sequence?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    1
    I'm sure triggering stuff with groomers is key to reducing inbounds avy danger

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In the rain
    Posts
    1,587
    That is being done intentionaly, to show off or not I don't know.

    In Mikuni Japan on a "too deep to ski" day. I was plowing down one of the runs with the cat and the slope started to slide - not full on as in the video but I wasn't stopping. My biggest fear was my winshield giving way. My way of trying to avoid either the front going under or even worse forward rolling the cat was to rasise the blade to max and pin the throttle - when you are on a 30+ degree slope you normaly don't want to go faster - a bit un nerving as the snow comes over the top of the blade and is above the side windows as you put your left foot on the base of the windshield to avoid falling trough it yourself!

    2 days later in my tracks we managed to buy a sled vertically - the skis were below the surface, thus proving how deep our snowpack was!
    Knowledge is Powder

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Golden B.C.
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    We met a driver at Chatter Creek (I think, don't remember for sure) that was building cat roads at night. He's out by himself, about 1:00 a.m. driving up the road he's cutting in when he gets blasted from the side by an avalanche. Next thing, he's stuck, sitting by himself in a t-shirt and shorts buried to his armpits in snow, inside the cab. I don't remember how long he sat there until he could get someone on the radio but was freezing his ass off waiting for the snowmobiles to come up and get him out. They got the cat unstuck the next day. What a way to spend a night.
    Sounds like you met the old owner

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TGR Forums mobile app

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane/Schweitzer
    Posts
    6,411
    Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    Sounds like you met the old owner

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Yeah, it was one of the partners (can't remember either's name, now..). Good guys. I've been there a couple of times but it's been a few years.

    ETA: Just reading this and remembered the one guy's name is Dan. He wasn't the guy who got buried whose name I still don't remember.
    Last edited by GoldMember; 04-13-2021 at 11:28 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    19,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Idris View Post
    That is being done intentionaly, to show off or not I don't know.

    In Mikuni Japan on a "too deep to ski" day. I was plowing down one of the runs with the cat and the slope started to slide - not full on as in the video but I wasn't stopping. My biggest fear was my winshield giving way. My way of trying to avoid either the front going under or even worse forward rolling the cat was to rasise the blade to max and pin the throttle - when you are on a 30+ degree slope you normaly don't want to go faster - a bit un nerving as the snow comes over the top of the blade and is above the side windows as you put your left foot on the base of the windshield to avoid falling trough it yourself!

    2 days later in my tracks we managed to buy a sled vertically - the skis were below the surface, thus proving how deep our snowpack was!
    Wow!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    54
    Looks like a controlled avalanche. Definitely a brave guy.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    48,880
    X

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •