Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    31

    Ski Touring Softshell recs??1

    I lost my OR Ferrosi that I've been touring in the last 6 or so years. Anyone have recs on something better? I live in the eastern cascades so prefer a light softshell for breathability while still shedding snow. Usually worn over a baselayer.
    Would ideally like something lighter than the ferrosi if that exists and is good for touring. Have been looking at the BD Alpine start, Mountain hardwear Kor preshell, Arcteryx gamm LT vs SL. Other thoughts? Or stick with the ferrosi?
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Grandma's Basement
    Posts
    232
    Recently went through this as well, skiing Western side of the Cascades. Bought both a Ferrosi, and San Juan softshell to see which I like better. While the SJ has more pockets and features, the Ferrosi is definitely a better jacket all around - and still highly rated.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    On the mountain
    Posts
    630
    Iíve been wearing the Mammut Aconcagua Light Hybrid and itís worked out great. I like the puffy portion in the chest as I get cold easily, but the Light ML version is the same minus the puffy in the chest. Iíve worn it with a long sleeve base layer and on warmer days (30*+) just wear a merino t-shirt underneath. It breathes well and sheds the light rain/snow I run into on Mt. Hood frequently.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    23,213
    I been liking the patagonnia R-1 techface for a lighter soft shell,

    I like to go light for the up and cover up with a puffy when i stop

    2 zipper hand pockets and a zipper breast pocket
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    122
    Another vote for the Patagonia R1 Techface hoody. It's perfect in a stupidly wide range of conditions, I'm comfortable wearing it over a base layer from 0C to at least -15C and just throwing a puffy on over it when I stop moving. I don't wear it in warm wet storms but it sheds lighter/dryer snow just fine.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I been liking the patagonnia R-1 techface for a lighter soft shell,

    I like to go light for the up and cover up with a puffy when i stop

    2 zipper hand pockets and a zipper breast pocket
    The current R1 TechFace jacket seemed to have lost its breast pocket. That would be no bueno for me.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    写道
    Posts
    12,646
    I've used a Ferrosi quite a bit the past three seasons.

    I recently picked up an Ortovox softshell that I really like. Very good quality.

    Doesn't have a hood- I fucking hate hoods!

    Kinda slim-fitting, but enough room for layering.
    °”rale, vato!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    8,898
    2nd Ortovox. Like their Swisswool stuff.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by CG_#3 View Post
    The current R1 TechFace jacket seemed to have lost its breast pocket. That would be no bueno for me.
    It's still there, just moved to the inside of the jacket.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	83576_CNY_TMPKT.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	407.2 KB 
ID:	365531

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    It's still there, just moved to the inside of the jacket.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	83576_CNY_TMPKT.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	407.2 KB 
ID:	365531
    cool. thanks. There's no mention of that either text or on the video clip on their website. Will run down to the shop check out this and the Ortovox.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    930
    I'm a fan of Montane's Dyno XT jacket, but if the Ferrosi weight is what you like, then Montane's Alpine Edge would be closer.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    7B Idaho
    Posts
    438
    I have a Arc' Gamma SL Hybrid (they don't make the Hybrid anymore) and also a Squamish hoody, which is a wind breaker with a touch of stretch. I think the Squamish is better for touring unless you need 3 pockets and not just one breast pocket. The Squamish is really the best ever for 9-10 months of the year, at least where I ski and climb in the Selkirks. I have also read great things about the BD Alpine Start.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    Another vote for the Patagonia R1 Techface hoody. It's perfect in a stupidly wide range of conditions, I'm comfortable wearing it over a base layer from 0C to at least -15C and just throwing a puffy on over it when I stop moving. I don't wear it in warm wet storms but it sheds lighter/dryer snow just fine.
    Do you guys run the hooded or hoodless versions?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    6,345
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Do you guys run the hooded or hoodless versions?
    I like hooded so I can pull it up over my baseball style cap for sun protection. Also if I get cold


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32

    2020/2021 (20/24)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rossland BC
    Posts
    1,406
    Quote Originally Posted by RowB1 View Post
    I lost my OR Ferrosi that I've been touring in the last 6 or so years. Anyone have recs on something better? I live in the eastern cascades so prefer a light softshell for breathability while still shedding snow. Usually worn over a baselayer.
    Would ideally like something lighter than the ferrosi if that exists and is good for touring. Have been looking at the BD Alpine start, Mountain hardwear Kor preshell, Arcteryx gamm LT vs SL. Other thoughts? Or stick with the ferrosi?
    Thanks!
    Lighter than a Ferrosi? Perhaps the Patagonia Houdini Air.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cascades
    Posts
    612
    The BD Alpine Start is a paper-thin windshirt-style jacket, like the Patagonia Houdini but with a bit more stretch and sheds water just a little better. I wear mine on every tour, usually with an R1 underneath and either a burlier shell or a light puffy over top while skiing or stopped. Looks like the Ferrosi is about twice the weight of the Alpine Start, so if you're looking for something of comparable durability and weather resistance you'll probably want a heavier softshell.

    BD Schoeller is the best softshell fabric ever as far as I'm concerned, but it doesn't look like they still use it in their Dawn Patrol softshell? Confusing.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    7,294
    ^^^^ What is the fit like on the Alpine Start?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    285
    Another vote for the alpine start, that's a great uphill jacket. I also have one of the older schoeller dawn patrols but haven't used it since moving to a warmer climate. Alpine start up and puffy over down is hard to beat, so long as it isn't raining.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Cackalacky
    Posts
    2,210
    I love my Gamma LT. Super light. Sheds precip well and cuts wind adequately. Excellent breathability. Nice hood and large pockets. I recommend.
    you don't want no smoke.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    23,213
    maybe easier in production to put that pocket in a lining than the jacket face it wouldn't matter to me as long as it has one cuz i really want a breast pocket, my favorite light puffy (faction) has an outside breast pocket but also big unzipped pockets sewn into the entire inside of the jacket face which is something everyone should do this

    I been using the r-1 around town in doors and I'm suprised at how much warmth there is in such a thin materia, I'm thinkng of getting another one before they discontinue it

    I like hoods on everything cuz its going to add warmth to a piece especialy to something so minimalist, some times I don't use the hood aiso I don't put my hands in pole loops i know ... crazy talk
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    ^^^^ What is the fit like on the Alpine Start?
    The Alpine Start has pretty long sleeves and boxy body.

    Regarding the original question, I think the OR Ferossi is hard to beat for the $$.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    8,898
    OK, I found this finally. This is my favorite BC ski soft shell, I own this exact one, and I am sharing this because I am nice.
    It has a mesh back because youíre always wearing a pack, it has stretch net pockets on the front to hold crap during transitions, it has 2 side pockets for more crap and ventilation, and has a chest pocket. I wear only a wool t shirt underneath unless itís below 15 degrees, and then I switch to a long sleeve. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynafit-Jac...4AAOSwDvZgKSx~
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    tahoe de chingao
    Posts
    731
    Interesting - does the back mesh work? I also notice it looks like dynafit discontinued the jacket and doesn't make any w a back like that?

    I've been thinking about this as I run warm and am almost always in a softshell and baselayer (older patagonia simple guide softshell). I remember that a few years ago there was an interview with an arcteryx designer where they said that the future of jacket improvement lay at the interface between the pack and jacket...wondering if anyone has taken that seriously / made any improvements there

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cascades
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    The Alpine Start has pretty long sleeves and boxy body.

    Regarding the original question, I think the OR Ferossi is hard to beat for the $$.
    Agree on the long sleeves. Mine is pretty slim (slimmer than a Houdini), but it's a size S and at least 6 years old.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    I remember that a few years ago there was an interview with an arcteryx designer where they said that the future of jacket improvement lay at the interface between the pack and jacket...wondering if anyone has taken that seriously / made any improvements there
    Removable back sweat pads? Never tried them but was intrigued when I saw them in a shop last season.

    https://www.dynafit.com/removable-sw...-08-0000071283

    Another vote for the R1 Tech Face. I own the Ferrosi as well but havenít used it much since picking up the R1 TF last year. For Utah, itís plenty water resistant. Not sure how it would hold up in maritime climates.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •