Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    JFC. Just make sure it’s red.

Wow, so much good info. I'm surprised at all the love for the r1 tech. I found the regular r1 way too hot for anything cardio and use the capilene 4 instead. Is the tech as warm as the regular r1?

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Interesting - does the back mesh work? I also notice it looks like dynafit discontinued the jacket and doesn't make any w a back like that?

I've been thinking about this as I run warm and am almost always in a softshell and baselayer (older patagonia simple guide softshell). I remember that a few years ago there was an interview with an arcteryx designer where they said that the future of jacket improvement lay at the interface between the pack and jacket...wondering if anyone has taken that seriously / made any improvements there
    No it’s discontinued and Dynafit doesn’t make anything like it (with a mesh bag that is).
    It’s funny but I think about it now my skate ski windbreaker has a stretch mesh style back as well.
    The back on both works perfectly.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by RowB1 View Post
    Wow, so much good info. I'm surprised at all the love for the r1 tech. I found the regular r1 way too hot for anything cardio and use the capilene 4 instead. Is the tech as warm as the regular r1?
    Same. I can only wear my R1 hoody if it's near zero or below. Curious if the tech is as warm.

https://www.salomon.com/en-ca/shop/p...ml#color=23678
    I don’t sweat much, and prefer a warmer softshell, but for those that want something lighter and more breathable, you should check out XC skiing softshells. They have all sorts of innovative fabrics and perforations designed for high energy activity.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Same. I can only wear my R1 hoody if it's near zero or below. Curious if the tech is as warm.
    The Tech is less insulated feeling than the standard R1, but has a solid amount of wind resistance.It's also just not as tight to the skin in general, and with a full zip I can open it up a bit more than my 1/4 zip R1. For me this makes it ideal for 0-20F touring in CO where it's rarely wet but often windy. I honestly don't find much use for touring with non-wind resistant mid layers like the standard R1. The R1 tech face has replaced my windshirt, it blocks the wind well enough but doesn't get as sweaty. I have most of my winter touring covered with wool base+ R1 Tech + puffy if it gets really cold.

Op, since you’re in the eastern Cascades, lighter drier snow, you might consider a Nano Air with a t-shirt. I find this combo ideal for touring in temps 20-25f and below over here. The Nano Air breathes so much better than even really light soft shells and provides more warmth when you stop moving.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Houdini Air. Breathes much better than I expected. Good wind protection. Good light rain and dry snow shedding. Perfect for the high desert. I wear it 12 months a year. Wish it had drop pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrmountainman View Post
    JFC. Just make sure it’s red.
    Ha! Love it.

And yes, both my Ferrosi and R1 Tech Face are red. Makes me feel at least 11% faster going uphill

Name:  56DA9301-B6DE-4D3B-B1CF-AB7060B4492F.jpeg
Views: 623
Size:  48.0 KB

I've got a patagonia Airshed I love. Use it for pretty much every temp range, all the way up to 50s for MTB. Can layer over or underneath it. Pretty windproof but not very water/snow resistant.

BD Dawn Patrol is solid.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Op, since you’re in the eastern Cascades, lighter drier snow, you might consider a Nano Air with a t-shirt. I find this combo ideal for touring in temps 20-25f and below over here. The Nano Air breathes so much better than even really light soft shells and provides more warmth when you stop moving.

As a reference I find my NanoAir too hot for touring unless it's below 5f, but the R1 tech perfect. I almost always have a 100 weight longsleeve wool base on and not a t-shirt though.

Quote Originally Posted by Relica View Post
    As a reference I find my NanoAir too hot for touring unless it's below 5f, but the R1 tech perfect. I almost always have a 100 weight longsleeve wool base on and not a t-shirt though.
    Yeah, a lightweight t-shirt works for me. Anything more would be too warm.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Yeah, a lightweight t-shirt works for me. Anything more would be too warm.

Am I the only one that primarily tours in their base layer? Maybe it's just a warm Cascade thing?
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    Am I the only one that primarily tours in their base layer? Maybe it's just a warm Cascade thing?
    I do in the spring. Midwinter I like the Nano/T-shirt combo.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    I do it frequently in CO. It's windy where I ski. I wear a Houdini over the base layer when it's howling. I've tried more breathable windbreakers and lightweight softshells, but they don't cut the wind enough. Breathable insulation over the Houdini if I need it. Haven't put on hard or soft shell all winter.

Base layer only on top of it is reasonably nice out. Hooded merino blend lightweight long sleeves are my favorite (Mons Royale 140 wt or Voormi River Run 100 wt). Puffy for the descent.

For temps below 20F, pre-dawn outings, or wind/snow, then I add the R1 Tech Face on the way up as needed. Puffy for the descent still.

But I’m scrawny, tend to run cold, and ski in Utah. YMMV of course.

I've used a couple softshells (Marmot something and OR Ferrosi). Love them for touring.

But...no matter what I do...they fucking stink so bad after 5-10 days of use. Not quite early-Capilene-levels-of-horrific-death-stench, but close.

Can anyone recommend a lightweight WOOL or similar softshell??

Doesn't look like there is much out there. Ortovox sells some stuff, but it's crazy expensive. This looks good: https://www.ortovox.com/sk-en/shop/m...-windbreaker-m
    sproing!

My Gamma stuff from Arc has never smelled and basically everything of mine smells.

swing your fucking sword.

BD Dawn Patrol is great, and doesn't stink

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    I've used a couple softshells (Marmot something and OR Ferrosi). Love them for touring.

But...no matter what I do...they fucking stink so bad after 5-10 days of use. Not quite early-Capilene-levels-of-horrific-death-stench, but close.

Can anyone recommend a lightweight WOOL or similar softshell??

Doesn't look like there is much out there. Ortovox sells some stuff, but it's crazy expensive. This looks good: https://www.ortovox.com/sk-en/shop/m...-windbreaker-m
    This could work:

https://ca.monsroyale.com/products/a...ch-mid-hoody_3