Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nordica Boot Quarrels

Curious to hear some advice on some boot issues I have been having. Ex racer so I skied the doberman plug 130 in a 25.5 for two seasons... moved out for school (free skiing Snowbird) and switched up to the Nordica promachine also in a 25.5. I loved my plug boots but I have skinny calfs and got bad shin bang so I went to the pro machine. Pro machine skis well but I feel that my foot is duck footed in the shell and is just generally less controllable than the plugs. Im nervous going into spring about liners being even more packed and fully swimming on those spring corn days.
    Thinking my best options are:
    1. Get an intuition plug wrap in my plug boots to try and get away from some of that shin bang.
    2. Intuition wrap liner in the 25.5 pro machines to take up some volume.
    3. Get a Pro machine in a 24.5. Heard next years pro machine is slightly different and maybe stiffer???
    Any advice or suggestions?

Side note, wondering about peoples experience in the Nordica Strider Elite?

So I’m in near the same boat.

I believe #2 is the way to go. I run a PW in Lupo & ski a Dobie 130/150 w a race liner. I was actually just going to post to see if anyone has ever pulled off option 1 in Dobies.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Curious to hear some advice on some boot issues I have been having. Ex racer so I skied the doberman plug 130 in a 25.5 for two seasons... moved out for school (free skiing Snowbird) and switched up to the Nordica promachine also in a 25.5. I loved my plug boots but I have skinny calfs and got bad shin bang so I went to the pro machine. Pro machine skis well but I feel that my foot is duck footed in the shell and is just generally less controllable than the plugs. Im nervous going into spring about liners being even more packed and fully swimming on those spring corn days.
    Thinking my best options are:
    1. Get an intuition plug wrap in my plug boots to try and get away from some of that shin bang.
    2. Intuition wrap liner in the 25.5 pro machines to take up some volume.
    3. Get a Pro machine in a 24.5. Heard next years pro machine is slightly different and maybe stiffer???
    Any advice or suggestions?

Side note, wondering about peoples experience in the Nordica Strider Elite?
    ZipFit in the plug if you can fit it will ski the best.

Did you grind or punch your plugs a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    ZipFit in the plug if you can fit it will ski the best.

Did you grind or punch your plugs a lot?
    Zipfit would be ideal minus the cost... do they fit in that narrow of a boot ok? I only had to grind a little behind the pinky toe.

Nothing skis as well as a Dobermann.
    If needed, just add an eliminator pad to de-shin-bang-ify (from excess volume) or a Booster strap (if too stiff off the top).
    Last edited by Marshal Olson; 03-01-2021 at 08:24 PM.

Zipfit would be ideal minus the cost... do they fit in that narrow of a boot ok? I only had to grind a little behind the pinky toe.
    Damn you've got a skinny foot no wonder you feel unsupported in the promachine.

I use the Gara in Lange ZB's and they work great for me, but it would depend on your heel/ankle size. Although if you do have really skinny calves you would probably be fine. I think someone is actually selling a 25.5 in gear swap

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Damn you've got a skinny foot no wonder you feel unsupported in the promachine.

I use the Gara in Lange ZB's and they work great for me, but it would depend on your heel/ankle size. Although if you do have really skinny calves you would probably be fine. I think someone is actually selling a 25.5 in gear swap
    Ya I saw and am tempted on those but maybe the world cups would be the better choice.

I have Zip Fit's in Dobie WC 130's and like them a lot. Best my shins have felt ever! Needed a touch of grinding in the heal since the Zip is thicker than the Dobie WC lace liner, but it's worked out well for me.
    He who has the most fun wins!

pro liner in plug boot?

why not try it. you have it.

I have promachines 130s and just switched to Lange rx 130s LVs. The pro machines are great shells but for for me wasn’t good enough fit - they accommodate a high instep and I have a low instep so extra room and was causing shin bang among other issues like lack of power transmission. too much space across the forefoot. Other than that they’re great lightweight shells and were very comfy.

Promachines are a stiff 130 - very stiff. Flex isn’t as nice or smooth as the langes - promachines are stiffer at the top of the flex and a little harder to initiate. Also the suspension and precision on the promachines for me isn’t close to the langes. Langes have much better lateral support and seem more precise. Also heavier and smoother. Very happy with the langes.

I put freeride zipfits in both. Perfect liners for those boots for me. Couldn’t stand the stock liners in either boot - foam is not for me (the promachines have better liners IMO if tire sticking with stock). Fit is a little tight at first but tight well fitting boots is the best you can get IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    I have Zip Fit's in Dobie WC 130's and like them a lot. Best my shins have felt ever! Needed a touch of grinding in the heal since the Zip is thicker than the Dobie WC lace liner, but it's worked out well for me.
    Your comment is about to cost me a few hundred bucks haha. Which zip fit liner do you have in them?

Quote Originally Posted by MD12 View Post
    I have promachines 130s and just switched to Lange rx 130s LVs. The pro machines are great shells but for for me wasn’t good enough fit - they accommodate a high instep and I have a low instep so extra room and was causing shin bang among other issues like lack of power transmission. too much space across the forefoot. Other than that they’re great lightweight shells and were very comfy.

Promachines are a stiff 130 - very stiff. Flex isn’t as nice or smooth as the langes - promachines are stiffer at the top of the flex and a little harder to initiate. Also the suspension and precision on the promachines for me isn’t close to the langes. Langes have much better lateral support and seem more precise. Also heavier and smoother. Very happy with the langes.

I put freeride zipfits in both. Perfect liners for those boots for me. Couldn’t stand the stock liners in either boot - foam is not for me (the promachines have better liners IMO if tire sticking with stock). Fit is a little tight at first but tight well fitting boots is the best you can get IMO.
    Ya both by room mates swear by the rx's. Pro machines are sure stiff and I dont think they have great progression. My dobermans are stiffer but are softer off the top and feel a lot better. I just love how locked in the lower feels on them and don't know ill find that in any other boot.
    Three of you now suggesting Zipfits has me tempted. Just nervous to spend that much not knowing if it will be the perfect fit etc. Definitely good return on those though if they are the right thing.

You will hate the strider if you like the promachine and dobermans, massively more ankle room and volume all around, works for some people but not those who like low volume boots.

As a Doberman aficionado, one of the best things about the Doberman plug is that it actually retains its stiff flex in warm spring temps.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by madriverfreeride View Post
    You will hate the strider if you like the promachine and dobermans, massively more ankle room and volume all around, works for some people but not those who like low volume boots.
    I agree. Had the strider and it was just massive. Supposedly the Strider elite has a smaller last which im curious about.

Ya I saw and am tempted on those but maybe the world cups would be the better choice.
    World Cup has more cork than a Gara and a leather interior, which I personally find uncomfortable for freeriding compared to the neoprene.

Oh Zipfits also last forever, my pair has 300? days and are showing no signs of slowing down.

Depends which shell. If going in the Dobie WC last, get the thinnest Zip FIt. If going in the Pro, then get something with more. I have chicken legs and don't think you could get anything more in my shell which has since been blown out a few places, if you don't have the thinnest zip fit in terms of cork.

Guys here in Mammoth say getting cork out is tough so they just grind or punch the shell. Ymmv on that one though. I have read of ways to do it, just haven't been able to do it myself.
    He who has the most fun wins!

zipfit has a 5 day money back guarantee also....ie...ski them for 5 days and then decide.

Depends which shell. If going in the Dobie WC last, get the thinnest Zip FIt. If going in the Pro, then get something with more. I have chicken legs and don't think you could get anything more in my shell which has since been blown out a few places, if you don't have the thinnest zip fit in terms of cork.

Guys here in Mammoth say getting cork out is tough so they just grind or punch the shell. Ymmv on that one though. I have read of ways to do it, just haven't been able to do it myself.
    On the website the it says the World Cup has less cork and is for 92-98 mm last. Then the gara has "the lowest volume of cork" but is for 95-98 mm last boots. So Im confused which is more or less volume...

Do you have both a tongue pad/shim and a spoiler in your boots?

Ya both by room mates swear by the rx's. Pro machines are sure stiff and I dont think they have great progression. My dobermans are stiffer but are softer off the top and feel a lot better. I just love how locked in the lower feels on them and don't know ill find that in any other boot.
    Three of you now suggesting Zipfits has me tempted. Just nervous to spend that much not knowing if it will be the perfect fit etc. Definitely good return on those though if they are the right thing.
    Zipfits are top 5 most important pieces of ski gear for me:

1 right ski
    2 left ski
    3 custom insoles
    4 zipfit liners
    5 boot shells

Bindings and clothes were close to top 5, but I figure I could use Guerilla glue and just spring ski in birthday suit.

Quote Originally Posted by morphintoskittle View Post
    Do you have both a tongue pad/shim and a spoiler in your boots?
    I do have a spoiler but not tried a tongue shim...

Confused about the strider elite. From what I see online it has the same 100mm as the strider. What am I missing?

I have been skiing my dobies w/ a Lange/Rossi liner as it is thinner, better liner - I can't imagine anything else fitting in there. YMMV.

Don't get the eliminator tongue. The foam is soft and squishy, making the boots feel very vague. I had much better results using a tongue I cut out from an old liner. You could also get a tongue from intuition if you want to spend money on one.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk