VCT flooring tile as shower backsplash

Yeah, I know, I'm going to die.
    So we have a shower install, some sort of fiberglass material, which is fine.
    But the shower head is 6.5" above that. I've been negligent about attending to two leaks. Must have been skiing too much, you know the routine.
    So after the first round of water damage to the drywall, I got away with spackle and repainting.
    This time though I really need a better long-term solution.
    Instead of adding ceramic tile above the show install up to and around the shower head, I have a bunch of extra vct tiles from my basement ski workshop. The material has held up really well, and the color would look okay in the shower. Also easy to trim to size.
    Any reason why I can't use the vct flooring in a vertical application like this on top of drywall?
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Nope. Will work fine. Just make sure the adhesive gets really really tacky before install.
    I learned that lesson trying to install it vertically.
    VCT adhesive is made for flat surfaces, gravity and footsteps
    . . .

It’s not a great idea if the intent is waterproof - the joints are not waterproof
    (VCT on the floor isn’t a waterproof floor finish either)

you realize that you don't really need a lot of tiles to go around the pipe for the shower head so you could easily just buy some of the proper tiles ?

teflon pipe thread tape is really cheap btw
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Most homes just have drywall (ideally green board) above the fiberglass stall.

Waterproof isn’t needed.

Although now the
    At I think about it, a solvent based glue would be better
    . . .

Thanks for all the feedback, and sorry for the delay in my reply -- had to let everything dry out first, was really wet back there!
    Which I suppose means my wife was righ ... no, not gonna say that, hah, how about, was making a point that was not entirely unreasonable?

So, yeah, teflon tape, I actually have that, although of course I had bought it for a ski-related purpose.
    (Leaky seal on a water bottle.)
    The problem though was probably internal, maybe the shower head filter was clogged.
    But either way, dumb of me to let it go that long.

I tiled up above the shower insert, both because the drywall was pretty much up there now, so almost easier to put in tiles than to get the spackling really smooth.
    Then I cut out the damaged flooring section and put down those extra VCT tiles I had sitting in the basement.

Definitely not a professional job, but wife is happy, so I'm happy, and I can now go back to things like painting the snow for skimo races.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210308_211716859_2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	462.5 KB 
ID:	366618

Name:	IMG_20210308_163233972_HDR.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	366619

Name:	IMG_20210309_104037599.jpg