Best leki touring pole

What is the best Leki touring pole? https://www.leki.com/uk/product-area/touring/poles/ I'm looking mainly at Leki since I can get a good deal on them, I have been using Leki for 20+ years in the resort.

I'm new to touring and will be mostly touring around northern Utah, I don't think I need one that folds up. What things should I consider in a touring pole? So far I like the Guide Lite V and the Aergonlite 2 with the difference being that one has the removable trigger system and strap and the other a traditional strap. I know using a pole strap on the downhill is frowned upon for safety but what about the uphill? Will a strap be beneficial on the uphill or not?

Quote Originally Posted by SLCUTAH View Post
    What is the best Leki touring pole? https://www.leki.com/uk/product-area/touring/poles/ I'm looking mainly at Leki since I can get a good deal on them, I have been using Leki for 20+ years in the resort.

I'm new to touring and will be mostly touring around northern Utah, I don't think I need one that folds up. What things should I consider in a touring pole? So far I like the Guide Lite V and the Aergonlite 2 with the difference being that one has the removable trigger system and strap and the other a traditional strap. I know using a pole strap on the downhill is frowned upon for safety but what about the uphill? Will a strap be beneficial on the uphill or not?
    Pm bushwhacka. And ask him when he is going to make a video too.

You can use your alpine Leki poles just fine for touring as long as they have a powder basket.

If you want a "touring" (i.e. adjustable) pole, the Guide Lite V and the Aergonlite 2 are both great. The race basket on the Aergonlite Carbon actually sucks for regular touring and it breaks easily. If you can find a pair of the now discontinued Haute Route, they were awesome and relatively inexpensive. FWIW, I can count the number of times I actually adjust the length each year on one finger.

I don't use straps at all while touring, you may feel otherwise.

Glad to see that they have releasable straps. Critical safety feature for 135° chutes.

+1 on the Haute Route. Awesome.

Would strongly encourage you to not use straps at all when touring. Best to just remove them before your first trip. Remember, anything attached to you can become a snow anchor in a tree well, avalanche...Won't take you long to get used to it.

yeah I often use the straps on the up " bunny up thru the hole and grab the pole " as they teach the xc jackrabbits you can lean on the straps & pole without gripping

i have this new concept I've patented where you don't use the straps going down so if you want to use it you have to send me $

but seriously some of the leki poles had/have (?) a baskette that easily locks on the pole with a 90 degree twist which means they also get lost easily
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My Haute Routes have a long thread for the basket. Have been easy to remove but haven't even begun to come loose after 3 years of use inbounds and out. Baskets haven't broken like my Swix POS's have multiple times on mine and my wife's poles. Totally bomber

Thanks for the insights so far!

Quote Originally Posted by SLCUTAH View Post
    I know using a pole strap on the downhill is frowned upon for safety but what about the uphill?
    People get caught in avalanches going up as well as down . . .

Yup