Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    Yeah, bummer that story by Meadow Skipper of the liftie getting hurt, but I would imagine Risk Analysts are more concerned if a liftie in uniform hits and injures or kills a paying customer.
    Yeahbut…are the RAs concerned about patrollers doing that? That’s a little bit of a stretch, but still…

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Yeahbut…are the RAs concerned about patrollers doing that? That’s a little bit of a stretch, but still…
    It’s been 20 years since I patrolled, but we were held to a pretty high safety standard even when free skiing. The old “don’t fall in the jacket” culture was alive and well.

I’d imagine Bunion’s post was about the Yellowstone Club. They’re the only ski area with “members” like a country club. That’s just grouchy rich people complaining about the pow getting schralped. Gotta keep the proletariat in their place. A friend of mine taught there for a season and got a Suburban as a tip. 😏

It’s been 20 years since I patrolled, but we were held to a pretty high safety standard even when free skiing. The old “don’t fall in the jacket” culture was alive and well.

I’d imagine Bunion’s post was about the Yellowstone Club. They’re the only ski area with “members” like a country club. That’s just grouchy rich people complaining about the pow getting schralped. Gotta keep the proletariat in their place. A friend of mine taught there for a season and got a Suburban as a tip. ��
    At least the guy or woman he was teaching could reach their wallet.

I’d imagine Bunion’s post was about the Yellowstone Club. They’re the only ski area with “members” like a country club. That’s just grouchy rich people complaining about the pow getting schralped. Gotta keep the proletariat in their place. A friend of mine taught there for a season and got a Suburban as a tip. ��
    Wow, we are back at this? Yeah it was the Y/C. Wasn't the grouchy rich old fuckers, it was the grouchy, rich younger rippers.

When I was a lifty PCMR (83) we got 2-3 runs on the clock and 1/2 at lunch to ski, we also worked a 5 day week so skiing on days off meant skipping laundry or shopping. I survived.

Some items of note:

LML owns the Y/C, MLB, S/P and may soon own Big Sky outright. They have built a shit ton of employee housing, whether it is affordable is another subject, I was told a bed in a 2 bed bedroom in a 2 bedroom apartment with kitchen etc was around $ 800.00 a month, all in. They start employees at around 15 an hour. If you are making $ 2400 a month, 800 for rent and all in is pretty affordable but not really quality of life long term.

When the BSSP went union their wages went up, A LOT! $ 25 an hour is not out of line. Pretty good if you are on the 800 a month plan, doesn't cut it if you are trying to rent in Big Sky or Bozeman. That drove up patrol wages for BB and Y/C patrol.

The entire ski bum culture a lot of us experienced has changed or is no longer recognizable.
    Last edited by Bunion 2020; 12-28-2023 at 12:21 PM.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

What Bunion said. But honestly, around here the ski area is one of the best service industry jobs around here. You can live in employee housing at the base, have health insurance, work pretty close to year around if you want and the culture is pretty good.

I don't know the details but Winter Park subcontracted F&B to some large concessionaire. It is primarily staffed by J1's that don't ski. I'm hearing that the ski industry J1 program is under some scrutiny and may not be sustainable.

I think the bigger challenge for the ski areas is staffing the $30/hr. supervisory positions. The entry level lifty/instructor model is working. The true management jobs pay fairly well and the pass/health insurance benefits are attractive enough as the 2nd income in a family.

But the mid 20s employee that's worked there a few year and is looking for the next thing can't really afford non-subsidized housing.

All of what FG wrote is accurate. FYI, a non-union patrol supervisor They cannot join) at Big Sky is pulling in 38 an hour and >.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Pulled out an old Powder mag for some shitter reading and came across this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011 Lift Tix 2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	868.7 KB 
ID:	480920

The Times They Are a-Changin

Ski patrollers unionize as housing prices soar at resorts
    The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

Splat sighting! 69/420!
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I thought the sub $100 lift tix would catch the eye, but worthy digression, chock full!

The Hilarious Story of PM Gear
    The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

Hilarious that dunfee actually wrote content! And still has a typo.
    Last edited by MakersTeleMark; 12-28-2023 at 04:59 PM.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague