Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Oh yeah they do have that garage... it’s been over 20 years since I went there. How much do they make per parking? Also garage cost lots more than dirt lot.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    To be fair, the armed services on food stamps are the ones that couldn’t finish HS, got their GED just before or during basic and have never attempted to enroll in higher training or education. They have 8 kids with two or three different mothers non of which graduated HS. And the kicker they drive F350’s, have one or more ATV’s, and probably a couple of powder sleds that are in a storage unit because they might move back to that town. It’s an exaggeration but from my experience the ones on food stamps are there because of their life choices and inability/gumption to progress up the most basic pay grades.
    Awww, that's sweet. The Deplorables deserve their awful lives. How nice. Betcha you worked hard for every thing you own. Never had any help from day one.

Quote Originally Posted by snojones View Post
    I vote for end stage capitalism.
    Yup. And late stage imperialism, too.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Town of Vail has been charging for parking for decades
    FIFY.

I'm not familiar with the industry at all, but do mountain workers have their housing, food, and transportation paid for? Raising the minimum wage seems like a non-starter because it'll uniformally increase operating costs, and the optics won't look great if someone spills their wage on a luxury item (like, uh, skis I guess). But, food/housing/transportation costs are disproportionately high in ski towns. If workers have to pay for those costs, then someone working at the mountain for primary income is going to need a really really high hourly rate to get by...

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield3d View Post
    I'm not familiar with the industry at all, but do mountain workers have their housing, food, and transportation paid for?
    No.

If workers have to pay for those costs, then someone working at the mountain for primary income is going to need a really really high hourly rate to get by...
    And there you have it.

Next.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    A family of four should be able to survive on one full time salary/wage--a roof, basic healthy food, transportation if public not available, health care. The roof and food should not require public support, I'll allow it for health care and public transportation.
    Do you believe the above is possible if the position being worked requires skills your average high schooler would possess? Should business owners in affluent areas be forced to pay more than whatever the local employment market dictates? There are probably many employee perks that Vail or a business generating millions could pay that some mom and pop place in bumf couldn't even dream of affording. And if x resort lost money this year, should they have to dig deeper into their pockets to pay something that we'd never ask other companies to bear, because it's fiscally impossible?

I don't think there's any chance we fulfill this dream of affordable healthcare for everyone until costs and ease of access are dramatically addressed. Throwing more $$$ at the problem is just going to make the prices slide even higher.

In the end, local areas have to make the decision of how they want to treat the workforce that sustain their communities while balancing the desire for sprawl and growth. Policies that attempt to apply one solution to all fail to consider how different every area in this country is in terms of the problem and practical solutions.

why would it not be possible? it would just have to be the goal

“business owners forced”

not in merica buddy, we free

In the end, local areas have to make the decision of how they want to treat the workforce that sustain their communities while balancing the desire for sprawl and growth. Policies that attempt to apply one solution to all fail to consider how different every area in this country is in terms of the problem and practical solutions.
    Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    A family of four should be able to survive on one full time salary/wage--a roof, basic healthy food, transportation if public not available, health care. The roof and food should not require public support, I'll allow it for health care and public transportation.
    I think that is the point that you miss.

Why should my tax dollars go to support workers at companies that rely on the taxpayer to help feed & house and compensate their Employees?

Shouldn't there be some type of an incentive for those companies to pay sufficient wages so that public support is not required?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/19/walm...ficiaries.html
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Problem is that corporations don’t pay tax. If they did, then they would pay workers more so their “taxable income” would be lower to lower their taxes. They don’t pay the workers because we do...

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    why would it not be possible? it would just have to be the goal

“business owners forced”

not in merica buddy, we free
    Not sure what you're saying....goals don't equal results. Seems pretty clear to me many in this country want to force business owners to reach this supposed goal by force.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaaarrrp View Post
    Not sure what you're saying....goals don't equal results. Seems pretty clear to me many in this country want to force business owners to reach this supposed goal by force.
    Many of us are tired of paying public assistance to full time low wage workers so companies can keep their payroll low to increase/maintain their profit margins.

These companies are leeching off the system and yes, should be forced to increase wages or pay increased taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    Many of us are tired of paying public assistance to full time low wage workers so companies can keep their payroll low to increase/maintain their profit margins.

These companies are leeching off the system and yes, should be forced to increase wages or pay increased taxes.
    ^ This.

Yup - fuckin’ corporate welfare...

Thing is, almost all of the jobs affected by a higher minimum wage can’t really be offshored or automated so it affects all businesses in a sector equally. Which allows businesses to pass on the added labor cost.

I read a study maybe five years ago that found the average Walmart shopper would pay an average of $75/yr more for their shit if Wally paid all employees a minimum of $15.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaaarrrp View Post
    Do you believe the above is possible if the position being worked requires skills your average high schooler would possess? Should business owners in affluent areas be forced to pay more than whatever the local employment market dictates? There are probably many employee perks that Vail or a business generating millions could pay that some mom and pop place in bumf couldn't even dream of affording. And if x resort lost money this year, should they have to dig deeper into their pockets to pay something that we'd never ask other companies to bear, because it's fiscally impossible?

I don't think there's any chance we fulfill this dream of affordable healthcare for everyone until costs and ease of access are dramatically addressed. Throwing more $$$ at the problem is just going to make the prices slide even higher.

what unit of government are you defining as "local areas" ?

thanks - skiJ

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post

The government needs to start sending the bill for these services to these shitbag employers. If they don't want to pay a living wage, let them cover the actual cost of their miserliness. I bet at the end of the day a $15/hour minimum wage would be cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Food and beverage is pretty far down the list, at least for Vail resorts ( year ending 2019, mountain segment).
    Lift revenue - $1.03 billion (includes ticket and passes)
    Retail/rental revenue - 320 million
    Ski School revenue - 215 million
    Other revenue - 205 million
    F & B revenue - 181 million ....
    i think comparing Vail's revenue breakdown to
    an independently-owned mountain
    doesn't translate very well

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

oh, almost forgot,
    fuck vail

mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    Oh yeah they do have that garage... it’s been over 20 years since I went there. How much do they make per parking? Also garage cost lots more than dirt lot.

I don't think so. We were just there and both of the main garages in Vail look to be run by the city, associated with the transit center. It's $30 to park for a day. I was expecting to pay more actually, because VAIL.

As a veteran of the ski industry I know how shitty the pay is and nothing is going to change that anytime soon, unless the national minimum wage is increased. It's a lifestyle job that a lot of people are willing to do for low wages for a couple of years before they move on to better things.
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    As a veteran of the ski industry I know how shitty the pay is and nothing is going to change that anytime soon, unless the national minimum wage is increased. It's a lifestyle job that a lot of people are willing to do for low wages for a couple of years before they move on to better things.
    This keeps me biting my tongue when reading this thread.

It makes no sense to deal with the issue of a living wage one industry at a time.

A "living" wage of 15 bucks an hour may work in Detroit but I don't think it's going to afford a great life for someone living in Jackson or Telluride.

Those sorts of places are so fucked. Everything is pretty much fucked now. I'm starting to wonder if the reward is worth the payout with skiing. There's a lot of other fine activities that don't create the stress that being poor and being a skier does.

I got new skis and bindings this year. When I took em in to the shop to get mounted I was told they couldn't because my boots are too worn out. They are but I sure af can't afford to buy new ski boots right now so I guess my new set up will have to wait until next year. Skiing is seriously becoming a headache and the harder things get the less value it has.

My daughter loves it and it's our thing that we do together so that's keeping me going, for now. Once she's in college I may be done.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    I don't think so. We were just there and both of the main garages in Vail look to be run by the city, associated with the transit center. It's $30 to park for a day. I was expecting to pay more actually, because VAIL.

That's insane. They get 30 bucks out of your wallet before you even park? Fucking skiing......What a rich white person sport it is.

Rasta Stevie may have been a funder but he was right, once you eliminate the working class skiers and funkiness that comes with that it's going to be just a bunch of dweebs standing around talking about how it used to cool and funky.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    ......What a rich white person sport it is....
    its true,
    we are a bunch of crackers up in here,
    that other part,
    not by a long shot

mike tyson