Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    [QUOTE=garyfromterrace;6251647]
    Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post

While I suggest that you do have valid points, I suggest that the timed run (or race) is the purest form of the sporting challenge. Judgment is always subjective. A person crossing a line ahead of the other is simply the winner. The marathon, speed skiing, car and motorcycle racing and of course the garyfromterrace ski challenge all remain to me the pinnacle of the sporting world challenges.

PS - I panic if I am skiing backwards in pow or bumps and I couldn't do a trick in the air if my life depended on it.
    Good points. We therefore need to elect our judges to ensure a fair trial of the slopes.

Which mags would make up the 3-judge panel?

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Hmm so ski, board, and an 1 hr of tele practice, and the next 10 drinks are on you G.
    Mofro! Yeah, that's how it would work with you BUT you are not one of my detractors!!! Unless... nah, you wouldn't post under an alias
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

If Digitaldeath is involved, the stakes must be high, and the steaks must be boiled.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post

Good points. We therefore need to elect our judges to ensure a fair trial of the slopes.

Which mags would make up the 3-judge panel?

I will obviously take part in choosing the members of that (death) panel; Very few maggots are so well versed in snowsports (XC, Ski, Snowboard, Tele), cinematic, articulate, unbiased and well hung.

Maggots wishing to be a member of that panel can send donations to PayPal account BoiledMeat@, small and large donations will be accepted.
    Unless the word absquatulation has been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or grammatical use and may be ignored. This message represents the official view of the voices in my head. Do not read this text while operating a motor vehicle, watercraft, or aircraft as the filling is hot and may cause drowsiness, nausea, dizziness, or blurred11 vision.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Fuck, if it’s ski/board/tele and m going to have my wife ski as a proxy for me. She rips the shut outta all 3. I have zero board game

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Just skiing with maggots you like or never met. Just for fun. Can get you killed.

I remember one time about 6 of us all hit the same tree run at the same time. Fuck!
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Lots of complications here for (close friend or random hookup) what has always seemed a pretty simple criteria, it’s not win or lose, just pass or fail: can you keep up on a powder day? Top to bottom, non stop, no excuses, skiing the classic lines, hold your coffee, till après.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Fuck, if it’s ski/board/tele and m going to have my wife ski as a proxy for me. She rips the shut outta all 3. I have zero board game
    I don't have the rulebook here, but I think the Skioff-By-Proxy goes outside the originally intended parameters.

The other consideration is the venue; Shall the Duellee'es ski either/or at the challengers or challengees locale, at both, or should the 3-person-jury designate a proper venue?
    I propose the latter. Bec des Rosses or Aguille de Midi, just to level up the field?

Those are in Pennsylvania right?
    crab in my shoe mouth

Has there actually even been a TGR Skioff?

I think this is and should be situational. The recent occurrence was appropriate: when one person’s technique was (gently) mocked, the mockee said “I’ll give you $1,000 if you can ski the run I’m on without stopping or falling.”

It was an appropriate and, I feel, binding challenge, relying only on the acceptance of the challenge and details like scheduling and oversight.

What we need to create is a paradigm that manages those details and oversight, not a bunch of nagging over what does and does not constitute an appropriate challenge.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Those are in Pennsylvania right?
    Hmm... Good, point. Especially in these times and ages.

NA chapter could go to Sawkill Family Ski Center until this Big C is done with?

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    I don't have the rulebook here, but I think the Skioff-By-Proxy goes outside the originally intended parameters.

The other consideration is the venue; Shall the Duellee'es ski either/or at the challengers or challengees locale, at both, or should the 3-person-jury designate a proper venue?
    I propose the latter. Bec des Rosses or Aguille de Midi, just to level up the field?
    My hope (in a perfect world) was that the venue would be at both of the participants home hill. A home and home series as it were.

I have to lodge my reluctance to have a jury. I have noted previously my misgivings regarding judging. I should now explain how judging has negatively affected my life. We have to go back to 2002 and the Olympic gold medal skating fiasco where Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze of Russia were awarded the gold medal based soley on a pre competition fix. Canadians Jamie Salé and David Pelletier were finally presented their deserved medals on February 17, nearly a week after their winning performance.

That 5 days was the longest of my life. No sleep. Pacing. Outraged letters to the editors of every major newspaper. The incessant sobbing. I never want my life to be impacted by "judging" again. That's why I gave up my modern dance career after the scandal. No more entering my oil paintings into competitions that are "judged". Cancel the syncronised swimming classes for me. Opera sing-offs - fucking done. Not after that shit.

So I have to hold to my guns on the timed gate runs, timed T to B runs. That's it. The competitors agree on the runs. No one's "opinion" will impact the results.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    My hope (in a perfect world) was that the venue would be at both of the participants home hill. A home and home series as it were.

I have to lodge my reluctance to have a jury. I have noted previously my misgivings regarding judging. I should now explain how judging has negatively affected my life. We have to go back to 2002 and the Olympic gold medal skating fiasco where Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze of Russia were awarded the gold medal based soley on a pre competition fix. Canadians Jamie Salé and David Pelletier were finally presented their deserved medals on February 17, nearly a week after their winning performance.

That 5 days was the longest of my life. No sleep. Pacing. Outraged letters to the editors of every major newspaper. The incessant sobbing. I never want my life to be impacted by "judging" again. That's why I gave up my modern dance career after the scandal. No more entering my oil paintings into competitions that are "judged". Cancel the syncronised swimming classes for me. Opera sing-offs - fucking done. Not after that shit.

So I have to hold to my guns on the timed gate runs, timed T to B runs. That's it. The competitors agree on the runs. No one's "opinion" will impact the results.
    It must have been heartbreaking after sewing on all those sequins.

Try and remember how much you must have saved on hair spray though.

Vibes brother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I thot every run was a ski-off with something ?

gary doesnt have hair to save hairspray $ on

I think we had a ski-off when i met him

i don't remember who won or even who bought the beer
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-02-2021 at 08:41 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post

Venue? The fucking K12. Obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    gary doesnt have hair to save hairspray $ on
    I know...

That was the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post

LOL!

(Lots Of Lutzes)

I think Pinner and Blurred had a ski off back in the day maybe even back on the Powder boards but it was on groomers.

Blurred and I got into a tiff about some stoopid shit, I can't even remember about what. He even followed me to Ttips to challenge me to a skioff. Pissed off when I proposed a combo one run tele/one run fixed heel challenge, "too many rules".

Related Chinese Downhill question - anyone here ever competed in the Derby de la Meije?

^^ I have a better idea. One foot tele, one foot fixed heel.

I may be on to something here...
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Has there actually even been a TGR Skioff?

12 pages and I don’t think there is a confirmed skioff ever happening. What about fist fights between mags? Any stories there?

Should a skioff ever go down locally in Colorado I want to be present for such a significant event.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Top to bottom, non stop, no excuses, skiing the classic lines, hold your coffee, till après.
    Once bladder capacity’s included, I’m out.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    12 pages and I don’t think there is a confirmed skioff ever happening.
    You missed the Highway Star Damian Sanders event. So far that's the only legit skioff I know of.
    Friendly mags having a chinese downhill does not count. there has to be vitriol and furious pole whacking.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    furious pole whacking.
    Strap-on or strapless?

I seem to remember some challenge between Twins and MTT at a Mammoth Mini. This was towards the end of the day and a few beers. Was it a race down Stump down to where a gallery of Maggots watched? Well, you can guess that what the outcome might have been. MTT took first place both in getting to the bottom and smashing into the barrier netting (much less dramatic than crashing into a tree).