PATAGONIA YKK ZIPPER BLOWS DONKEY COCK

Where does Patagonia get there Ykk zipper for their jackets? I have never had so many zippers fail from a single outerwear manufacturer.
    Now I have allot of guccie shit, outlet near here and whatnot but I also have allot of arc and older cloudveil and newer brands, BD and whatnot. Nothing fails like the guccie zippers.
    Many people are saying this, not just me-but really they are. This is a pervasive problem.
    The insertion pin delams. The coil sheds, or it just straight stops meshing -this is a slider problem.
    I have done allot of talking with YKK about zippers, even been to the Macon plant for a full tour.
    Much of the issues they see are in the sliders or the slider coating being worn and then causes the coil or vislon to get damaged. Paint worn, plating fail etc.

So where does Pataguccie get there sliders and coils? They make much in Sri Lanka right? So where is the African plant for YKK? Do they buy from the Indo plant?
    WTF? buy some shit from Japan or another better factory. YKK has like 200 plants worldwide, clearly they are not all created equal.
    First world non pandemic problems but I'm pretty over this BS. Wife has 5 jackets she needs to get repaired, all zipper fail. She has like a million jackets so its not like these got used an exorbitant amount.
    This is mostly on the non coated zipper and I assume they are buying all RC coil and sliders as its made overseas? all our shit says C. Are they putting C sliders on RC coil?
    I have crappy cotton hoodies that the slider and coil have lasted longer then a guccie puffy coil.
    My last puffy coil lasted not even 1 winter, its a 7 month winter but whatev. Are they just using 4-5 when the should be using a bigger coil and slider?

FYI Coils is stronger for separation than Vislon.

I assume we have some technical outerwear people here as I work in this sports industry as well.

WHERE DO THEY BUY THIS SHIT?

FUCKIN FIX IT.

The Patagonia jacket I had to take off over my head last week because the zipper is hopelessly fucked agrees with this post.

Does Patagonia make lower quality clothing for their outlets like some other companies (looking at you Eddie Bauer)?

Or are theses zippers failing on non outlet purchased garments as well?

Just curious, I don’t wear much Patagonia.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

PATAGONIA YKK ZIPPER BLOWS DONKEY COCK

Just here to say this is one of the best thread titles evar...
    Carry on
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Does Patagonia make lower quality clothing for their outlets like some other companies (looking at you Eddie Bauer)?

Or are theses zippers failing on non outlet purchased garments as well?
    NO and YES
    They liquidate old product at the outlet, its not different quality. My Pat Puffy I paid full price for not from the outlet zipper lasted barely 1 MT season.

Planned obsolescence to promote their gear repair program??
    Zippers on my old pata snow pants broke as well, only about 1 season with working zipper

I have lost count of how many of my patagonia zippers have failed.

Interesting. I have some 10+ year old Patagonia pieces that still get worn multiple times a week, haven't ever had a zipper failure on a single Patagucci product. Shells, insulation, pants, fleece, baselayers, all still plugging right along.

Also, they have an amazing warranty program: use it.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Also, they have an amazing warranty program: use it.
    No, I want them to fix their business and or have YKK fix their shitty quality at that factory.
    Its a fucking PITA. The zipper shouldn't do this.
    They want to be the big brand? fix their shit.

I have had a zipper problem with at least three down sweaters. Honestly I don’t know why I keep going back
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I haven't found them to fail any more often than any other manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post
    I haven't found them to fail any more often than any other manufacturer.
    This. The current generation of coated slider / zipper is prone to breakage. Currently waiting on a BD warranty for one.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I feel like there was an identical thread about this a few weeks ago. I've never had an issue with my Patagonia zippers, but any company using metal zippers on activewear or outerwear is missing the plot. YKK Vislon is the only zipper I want on any technical garment. Big, durable, corrosion resistant plastic zipper teeth.

Buy a Vislon zipper and have a good, local tailor replace the zipper for you.

FWIW, I've broken teeth out of multiple Vislon zippers over the years.

I used Patagonia for uniforms for about 4 years before switching to Arc. The main reasons were, weird and inconsistent sizing from season to season and this was in their Uniform Program, and shitty zippers. So, yes their zippers suck.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Just here to say this is one of the best thread titles evar...
    Carry on
    It’s not quite ‘shit the dojo’ level but solid nonetheless

Agreed on sizing. Patagonia sizing went to shit somewhere around 10-15 years ago. I'm convinced their stuff used to sized/tailored based on Yvon, as I've never had another brand where size L garments fit me perfectly as a 5'7" 150ish pound guy. Then 10 or so years ago, they realized that their primary market was actually big, fat, doughy Americans, and their sizing went to shit.

Yeah I’ve had plenty of conversations with them about their fat friendly sizing. It sure used to be different.

Same boat. My 10+ year old size L puffy is slimmer than the new mediums.

FWIW, that ykk zipper is on some other brands too and just as shitty.

Yep, I've got one BD, one Mont-bell, one Patagonia, one Simond all waiting to get sent off for replacement zippers. I've had Marmot and TNF replaced in the past.

Re: sizing, depends on the intended use. The fishing or casual stuff is cut way different than the alpine climbing stuff. My medium Tropic Comfort sun hoody is larger than my size large R1 hoody or Piton fleeces.

Zippers are guaranteed to fail on Patagonia uniforms in the southern hemisphere.

Bonus moan: Ive never met a square so why shape a jacket like one.

I've had zippers fail from many brands YKK is industry wide, I don't even know of another zipper brand. Patagonia by far has the best warranty. They have replaced the zipper every time. Send in your gear in the off season aka slow time and you will have it repaired and back in a week. I have an R1 with a failed zipper and I snagged it on a tree while touring. Ripped a 4 inch hole in it. They replaced the zipper and sewed it up so good you can't even see it, didn't charge me a thing.

Any softgood experts know how size a slider and order the correct one? As I posted earlier in this thread I’m waiting on a BD warranty and it’s been some time... They’re busy swapping out beacons I imagine....

If I knew what to order I’d just order one and get it replaced locally. It’s a larger coated zipper.....

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    I've had zippers fail from many brands YKK is industry wide, I don't even know of another zipper brand. Patagonia by far has the best warranty. They have replaced the zipper every time. Send in your gear in the off season aka slow time and you will have it repaired and back in a week. I have an R1 with a failed zipper and I snagged it on a tree while touring. Ripped a 4 inch hole in it. They replaced the zipper and sewed it up so good you can't even see it, didn't charge me a thing.
    The zipper on my 3 year old Stretch Nano Storm failed on a multi-day tent based ski touring trip, and I used safety pins to close and keep using what was my only warm jacket. Patagonia sent me a new jacket. To the OPs point, the only counter to all the incentives driving down the quality of zippers (and anything else that can be done cheaper, lighter, weaker, and less well considered) in outdoor gear that is becoming indistinguishable from mainstream crap, is the number and cost of warranty claims. If we care about having access to durable, functional equipment, every one of us has a responsibility to send every last piece of defective gear back, and to demand maximum satisfaction.