Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Why arent Releasable poles straps the standard?

Seriously as far as I know Salomon and Leki are the only 2 brands that make these things.

If you dont agree objectively with the video tell me why.
    Last edited by Bushwacka; 02-28-2021 at 05:57 AM.

Scott poles have had breakaway straps for at least a couple of years now. My pair from ~2013 doesn't have them, but some ones I bought last spring do. They're becoming more common. They're a good idea for in-bounds use, particularly if you actually snug the straps down.

I tour with Leki poles and took the straps off and tossed them before I went for a first tour with them. Never, ever use pole straps while backcountry skiing (maybe with the caveat of late spring/summer skiing).

again why not use them if they release?

Because I have seen the mechanisms jam with snow/ice to the point where they require a lot more force than normal to release, and I want as few potential anchors as possible affixed to my body (even if they can release) when I'm skiing in avalanche terrain.

But then how would you properly wack the bush?
    Last edited by Name Redacted; 02-26-2021 at 07:26 AM.

This one puzzles me. I don’t ski with pole straps and I don’t miss them. I drop my poles never, except that one time on the chairlift last week. But before that.... never. I don’t understand what pole straps are for, unless you’re touring. They just get in the way skiing.
    focus.

I agree with your points about straps facilitating proper poling technique, which is also especially valuable when skating (a necessary evil at my home mountain). However the risks that might justify releaseable straps are open to debate. Anecdotally, I skied powder in the trees with 3 of my longest term ski buddies yesterday (and will likely do so again today), and as the topic came up for discussion (guides around here can be militantly anti strap) we’ve all been skiing tight forested runs and touring in avalanche terrain on a daily basis, with ski straps, for over 30 years, without a strap related incident. I don’t have anything against releasable straps, I’ve just chosen (DPS Nori) to prioritize the quality of the pole, adjustability, swing weight, grip, strap, feel etc, rather than a detail that might provide an incremental safety benefit. It’s possible (I’m use speculating here) that having high quality poles and straps provides increased dexterity that decreases the chance of becoming entangled and requiring releaseable straps in the first place. The people I ski with also tour regularly in avalanche terrain without airbags, or radios, so take from this what you will.

Epic Ski lives!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I don’t understand what pole straps are for, unless you’re touring. They just get in the way skiing.
    Clearly, your local hill isn’t flat enough where you have to skate off the top of every lift. Vibes+++++++.

Releasable straps are a great idea, but they still largely suck and triggers have been around for close to twenty years now. Finicky, break all the damn time, can be hard to find parts for when they do. I’ve seen salomons shipped from the factory missing the ball bearing that keeps the strap attached, and seen it disappear within days of purchase. They’ll come around eventually, don’t know why it’s taken so long to develop a dependable product.

I use straps for the same reason stated in the video, keep your hands loose so you don’t lock up your arms/shoulders/start rotating. That’s what coach said. My wife has never used pole straps; her dad was a patroller and cut them off all his kids’ poles. He also advocated for not wearing helmets because it gives you a false sense of security. The man has a PhD, I don’t know what to tell you.

In the woods and avy terrain, I still use straps but don’t put my thumb in, just hold one side of the loop between my palm and the grip. That way I can still make a real pole plant when needed without slipping and dump the pole same as if the strap wasn’t there. Works for me.

Straps are evil. You can’t convince me otherwise.

I have a pair of poles where I tied the straps into a knot. When skating, you put your palm on top of the pole handle like god intended, then put a couple fingers under the knot. Great little handle.

Just say no to straps.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Epic Ski lives!
    Ha!
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I tour with Leki poles and took the straps off and tossed them before I went for a first tour with them. Never, ever use pole straps while backcountry skiing (maybe with the caveat of late spring/summer skiing).
    I do the same, but I use the Leki Trigger S straps at the ski area and like them.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    In the woods and avy terrain, I still use straps but don’t put my thumb in, just hold one side of the loop between my palm and the grip. That way I can still make a real pole plant when needed without slipping and dump the pole same as if the strap wasn’t there. Works for me.
    This, except I use this method everywhere

If I was skiing with nordic length poles, I'd probably want straps so I could skate better. But I ski with normal length alpine poles, so when I want to skate, I just kinda hold onto the pole. Works great. No straps needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Clearly, your local hill isn’t flat enough where you have to skate off the top of every lift. Vibes+++++++.
    On patrol, I skate all the time to get places that you have to get to quickly instead of conveniently. Just last night I had to respond to an accident at the top of one lift from the top of another lift. Flat to Slightly uphill cat track, probably 400 feet or so. Didn’t even consider strapping in.
    focus.

I stopped using pole straps over a decade ago. No regrets.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If I was skiing with nordic length poles, I'd probably want straps so I could skate better. But I ski with normal length alpine poles, so when I want to skate, I just kinda hold onto the pole. Works great. No straps needed.
    A true alpine ski skater always uses his pole straps for the perfect technique. You new wave alpine ski skaters think you are on to something with this short pole without a strap business but you look ridiculous! Us purists will continue to snicker as you pass by working 1.357% harder than us.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I even see the cool young kids with no straps. Hell they even have no pole at all, with that cool snake style.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I even see the cool young kids with no straps. Hell they even have no pole at all, with that cool snake style.
    Can you snake dolphin? Or dolphin snake?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

To answer the OP’s question: releasable straps cost more to design and manufacture.

My skiing has always been a mix of resort / BC (20/80 these days) but I’ve heard from some daily resort skiers that they like having a strap since it allows em to relax their hands more between plants and mitigates forearm tendinitis. Might be more of a mogul rat thing?

For BC skiing I just replace the strap with elastic cord or elastic flat ribbon. Creates a minimalist solution that doesn’t feel in the way when I grab the grip w/o the strap over my wrist. But allows me to attach the poles to ski tips quickly when I’m scrambling on rocks, makes pole work better as a crossmember to build a rescue sled with skis, yadda yadda.

I haven’t skied with straps in years and I have quite short poles compared to my height, I have no issue doing the things you mention and the video and can definitely hold the pole with a loose grip. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    Seriously as far as I know Salomon and Leki are the only 2 brands that make these things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d96...ature=youtu.be

If you dont agree objectively with the video tell me why.
    I have a question. Why are you pole planting behind you? Or is that the next lesson?
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I have a question. Why are you pole planting behind you? Or is that the next lesson?
    Because that’s what you have to do when taking it switch to the road.

Just to up my post count,

Line has these "tabs" on the grips.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Line.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	364938

I bought some Pollard ones b/c they look cool...I thought the grip was just something just to be different, but they're super handy for skating.

But yeah, this thread is dumb.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I have the newer Lexi spitfire and the adjustable poles for BC. Both releasable. Had a high speed spill yesterday and poles released. No idea if I would have gotten hurt without them releasing - but I was pretty close to heading down the side of the trail into some steep woods. So I’d say they’re safer and clipping in and out is also quicker and easier to use - never had an issue with them coming undone accidentally. Big fan.