Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    I stopped using pole straps after almost yanking off my left arm in the trees.
    My last run with the straps on the poles was a late 10” Spring storm day. Second chair on the Wall. The skier in front of me stopped to adjust his boots. Of course all the boarders had to stop. I did not.
    Have possibly the best run of life.
    Flying down the face, dropping into Waterfall the best ever, untouched. Bouncing through the Drain, giggling with glee.

The video is actually pretty good. Angles and light are great. The morning shadows show the snow surface really nice.
    Just as I am dropping into the Waterfall you see my left pole rise, the strap swinging into view and cleanly hitting the slide switch on the Contour. Stopping the video at exactly the wrong time.

The straps were gone that night.

Quote Originally Posted by abx656 View Post
    No question, not sure why we need releasable straps when no one uses them while actually skiing.
    Unpopular opinion: I often use my pole straps. Why? Because I like warm hands. I also like having less fatigued forearms and more range of motion on my pole plants. A lot of time cross-country skiing develops certain habits.

Before I get crucified, I do have releasable poles when I'm Backcountry skiing or getting funky in the trees & steeps inbounds. Or I just do the ol' hand wrap next to the grip.

Warm hands? Huh?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Warm hands? Huh?
    Death gripping poles can constrict blood vessels in your hands. Long story short, contracting muscles increases blood flow due to metabolic needs. However, constant contraction will result in vascular compression. So contraction followed by relaxation is necessary for good blood flow - arguably not as efficient if you're constantly gripping the pole.

I think there's a difference between holding a 200 gram pole without dropping it and death gripping it.

I dunno, I've been strapless for years and never even considered hand fatigue or any other signs of "constant contraction".

My hands sweat like crazy when I ski and I rarely drop my poles.

I don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    I think there's a difference between holding a 200 gram pole without dropping it and death gripping it.

I dunno, I've been strapless for years and never even considered hand fatigue or any other signs of "constant contraction".

My hands sweat like crazy when I ski and I rarely drop my poles.

I don't buy it.
    Yeah, me either. Non issue

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Yeah, me either. Non issue
    Thirded. Maybe it depends on how you hold the grip? Dunno.

To each their own. There's certainly merit to not strapping poles to you body, especially in Backcountry conditions. Not here to try and convince anyone to something other than what works for them. Only adding that there's some relativity depending on the skier.

Edit: https://bluebirdbackcountry.com/the-...ands-and-feet/ - interesting article from bluebird that kind of addresses it

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    Death gripping poles can constrict blood vessels in your hands. Long story short, contracting muscles increases blood flow due to metabolic needs. However, constant contraction will result in vascular compression. So contraction followed by relaxation is necessary for good blood flow - arguably not as efficient if you're constantly gripping the pole.
    Don't bother explaining to these people. I average 2-3 round trips a week into our huts during the winter, usually 8-12 miles each round trip, mostly up on the way in, down on the way out, with a good bit of flat/rolling terrain. If I had to do all that skinning and poling without pole straps I'd quit. I'm sure Greg Hill does all his vert without straps but I'm just a mere mortal. With the straps adjusted properly you barely even have to grip the pole; my hands stay warmer and my forearms and hands don't get sore, and I'm convinced it helps keep my shoulders and arms more relaxed too. For downhill skiing, sure ditch your straps, but I can't imagine skinning more than a few miles without pole straps. Then again I am getting old and lazy.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Tabs like these swix ones definitely help after you get rid of the strap. Would recommend.

Name:  61B00Wzz8VL._SL1500_.jpeg
Views: 524
Size:  7.3 KB

https://www.artechski.com/swix-repla...-grips-yellow/

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    Don't bother explaining to these people. I average 2-3 round trips a week into our huts during the winter, usually 8-12 miles each round trip, mostly up on the way in, down on the way out, with a good bit of flat/rolling terrain. If I had to do all that skinning and poling without pole straps I'd quit. I'm sure Greg Hill does all his vert without straps but I'm just a mere mortal. With the straps adjusted properly you barely even have to grip the pole; my hands stay warmer and my forearms and hands don't get sore, and I'm convinced it helps keep my shoulders and arms more relaxed too. For downhill skiing, sure ditch your straps, but I can't imagine skinning more than a few miles without pole straps. Then again I am getting old and lazy.
    I hear you, but whenever I'm polling I put my hand on top of my grips. I also have the pole strap knotted up into a little ball. Between the two things it's super easy to hold the pole and doesn't require any grip.

This does not apply to long skins, as you mention, or xc.

Skinning on the up are you not utilizing a longer grip so you can adjust pole height for side hilling? Like these, I know Cody uses something similar in the 50 series.

I was taught to DIY with hockey tape decades ago when I first started walking up hills on skis.

Straps aren't gonna reach...

.Name:  ONECOL%20(1).jpeg
Views: 544
Size:  6.7 KB

I find pole straps hugely useful while skinning. Then again my bc poles are swix with a proper strap and I used to xc ski a bit back in the day

Yeah, I mean, I use pole straps when skinning for sure... just thought we were talking about the skiing part? Also, keeping my hands warm when skinning is certainly not an issue...
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Are we talking about skiing or skinning?

Should releasable polestraps be standard for skinning..........?

Quote Originally Posted by Dumb0ldDad View Post
    Hmm... releasable skins, great idea. How would you set the release value on those?
    Posts "N/A"

Huh??
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211026-195918.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	390444

No straps while skiing inbounds. Ever. I removed mine quite some time ago and all the better for it. This also holds true when cat skiing or heli skiing. No poles.

In the backcountry, I'll use straps on the skin, depending on the terrain. In situations where I'm ascending switchbacks, I don't use the straps as I'm back-and-forth on which pole is downhill and which pole is choked up on. And when it's time to ski down; no straps, not ever.

I suppose one could skin without straps.

Is bushwacka Highway star? cuz he sounds like Highway Star, he of " non race stock bindings will kill you skiing in VT"!

as I read on I see ::: :::' & jummno thought the same thing....

RACESTOCK BINDERS!
    Last edited by Woodsy; 01-04-2022 at 03:51 PM.

I just reread this whole hot mess. And it delivered. Again.

HOF, for sure.

I most appreciate straps riding the lift. I don't sit on poles.. I let then dangle from the straps... which I never take off when loading.. I only pretend to take them off holding them together and up while loading. 40+ years and still no wrecked pole missile incidents at the loading ramp from me..

As for skiing (down), you don't even have to squeeze the handle if you're using the strap properly. Less effort to maintain the grip of the pole with the strap properly gripped. And if you have to ask why/how you're not using the strap properly..

And yes, in the trees no strap or removable breakaway strap..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Treeline Cirque is a lift at Alpine Meadows with two unloading spots, with a sign at the first one reminding people to keep their poles up and bunch of broken poles on display to prove the point. You have to ride TC before you can claim you never have a pole incident. This is a lift riding challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    This is a lift riding challenge.
    If I accept this challenge what’s the payout? $1,000? Bitcoin or cash? Are you covering travel expenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    If I accept this challenge what’s the payout? $1,000? Bitcoin or cash? Are you covering travel expenses?
    1 powder skirt and $963 in bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Is bushwacka Highway star? cuz he sounds like Highway Star, he of " non race stock bindings will kill you skiing in VT"!

as I read on I see ::: :::' & jummno thought the same thing....

RACESTOCK BINDERS!
    There's gotta be something wrong with the water there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    NFT of $1000 cash.