Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    just to be clear, we are talking about the guy who shorted a mag $50 on a pair of skis paying up $1k for a ski off?
    Maybe it's $1K Canadian...so like: 6 Freedom Dollars.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Maybe it's $1K Canadian...so like: 6 Freedom Dollars.
    Please refer back to post #187 if you're interested in some information about Freedom units to Rest of World Units.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    are there any wolves near this 'chute'?
    Just a green mountain werewolf.

Quote Originally Posted by HHTELE View Post
    I came for the pole straps.
    Stayed for the drama.
    This thread is addictive.
    Haven't read the board regularly in 10+ years.
    Last even checked in 2 years ago.
    Came to Tech Talk with some stupid questions about replacing my googles.
    Clicked on this thread, wondering why anyone would think 'releasable' pole straps were necessary.
    Now TGR's back on the morning read rotation.
    Thanks, all you anonymous, quasi-anonymous, and not-anonymous douches.

Same here. Been off the form for years and recently came back to sell some skis for a good deal and stumbled upon this gem.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I came to post a couple reasons why straps are good but I feel like I just went to get drinks at a bar and when I came back everyone is arguing.
    I'd love to hear the rational, if you can still muster it up. I'll go grab the next round.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    This. Exactly. Even when I was still actively patrolling the rule was: if you catch someone smoking weed in the woods, we are NOT the police. But, confiscate that shit and bring it to the after-patrol beers! My favorite thing to do was to wait till 1 of ‘em took a big hit. Then I’d slide up in my red jacket and ask “how’s it going? Good day?” and generally be friendly. I’d wait till just before they’d “pop” from holding their breath before just skiing away laughing and hearing 1 of them coughing and choking. This was only if they were cool, if they were jerks I’d take the weed and threaten to cut lift tix.
    Belongs in the Might Be An Asshole thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Please refer back to post #187 if you're interested in some information about Freedom units to Rest of World Units.
    I tried soaking my dollars in liquid to make that chart usable, but it turns out they're cloth and won't dissolve.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I'd love to hear the rational, if you can still muster it up. I'll go grab the next round.
    Now now, let’s not get back on topic here.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    just to be clear, we are talking about the guy who shorted a mag $50 on a pair of skis paying up $1k for a ski off?
    To be clear, he settled his debt 11 years late, is offering $1k for mustonen or possibly anyone to ski a 135 deg. chute in VT plus $20 for video confirmation of anyone’s ability to do dolphin turns, possibly $37 in boiled steak for a non-existent ski(-)off, and was clearly not fired for sexual harassment of the HR director’s wife. And the metric system > imperial units. I think that’s about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    To be clear, he settled his debt 11 years late, is offering $1k for mustonen or possibly anyone to ski a 135 deg. chute in VT plus $20 for video confirmation of anyone’s ability to do dolphin turns, possibly $37 in boiled steak for a non-existent ski(-)off, and was clearly not fired for sexual harassment of the HR director’s wife. And the metric system > imperial units. I think that’s about it.
    And he doesn't use pole straps.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Right. Pole straps are not PSIA approved and interfere with both dolphin turns and double pole plants.
    focus.

Gotta ask; instead of releasable straps why not use pre-released straps?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    At this point I’m willfully disregarding anything having to do with the initial intent of this thread in favor of the fact that it has spurred a renewed interest in ski(-)offs among the collective.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Gotta ask; instead of releasable straps why not use pre-released straps?
    Bushwacka skis with bracelets?

Back on the releasable straps. I pulled out my old 80's something "Golden Team" Aluminum ski poles that I mentioned had the releasable clips to attach the 2 strap pieces in the center of the loop (not at the grips. They both have the female piece broken now.

Right next to them was the set of poles that I replaced them with. Goode Carbon Fiber - KVR Composite 8008 poles. I did not even remember that these had a Leki type of grip mount clip (but no gloves with the metal clip at the base of the thumb ever that I am aware of) and a slide to open or close the strap. Here is the photo of the grips. Left is closed, right is slid back so it would usually release if the pole got caught hard on something.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210301_211946.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	746.6 KB 
ID:	365506

So have not seen any Goode poles in some time in a store, so not sure what they use now for grips and if there is still any option for something like this.

When it the ski off going to happen? Before the snow melts? If Covid did not make travel so hard, it would be worth a Mini Vermont get together to watch the ski off and not have to wait for the video.

All you kooks who ski without straps must never skate or not care about doing it efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by seldon View Post
    Haven't read the board regularly in 10+ years.
    Last even checked in 2 years ago.
    Came to Tech Talk with some stupid questions about replacing my googles.
    Clicked on this thread, wondering why anyone would think 'releasable' pole straps were necessary.
    Now TGR's back on the morning read rotation.
    Thanks, all you anonymous, quasi-anonymous, and not-anonymous douches.
    i came back after last year after not following since 2001, I think.

less about skiing more mockery lol

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Back on the releasable straps. I pulled out my old 80's something "Golden Team" Aluminum ski poles that I mentioned had the releasable clips to attach the 2 strap pieces in the center of the loop (not at the grips. They both have the female piece broken now.

Right next to them was the set of poles that I replaced them with. Goode Carbon Fiber - KVR Composite 8008 poles. I did not even remember that these had a Leki type of grip mount clip (but no gloves with the metal clip at the base of the thumb ever that I am aware of) and a slide to open or close the strap. Here is the photo of the grips. Left is closed, right is slid back so it would usually release if the pole got caught hard on something.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210301_211946.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	746.6 KB 
ID:	365506

So have not seen any Goode poles in some time in a store, so not sure what they use now for grips and if there is still any option for something like this.

When it the ski off going to happen? Before the snow melts? If Covid did not make travel so hard, it would be worth a Mini Vermont get together to watch the ski off and not have to wait for the video.
    I have goodies with those grips, I hate the poles. They are like pencil thin carbon. Not sure what I was thinking years ago when I bought them

Quote Originally Posted by RyansFaith View Post
    I have goodies with those grips, I hate the poles. They are like pencil thin carbon. Not sure what I was thinking years ago when I bought them
    Rossignol and a few others (Kerma probably because I think Kerma is a Rossignol company and sell similar models) have just as thin Carbon Fiber poles. Was skiing with someone that broke their Rossi Carbon just a bit ago, He put a dowel piece glued in the center of the pole, glued the piece back together and had some carbon tape of some sort that he wrapped them with. It lasted a few weeks before the repair came apart and he was skiing for a few hours without any poles at all.

Why arent Releasable poles straps the standard?

Rossignol and a few others (Kerma probably because I think Kerma is a Rossignol company and sell similar models) have just as thin Carbon Fiber poles. Was skiing with someone that broke their Rossi Carbon just a bit ago, He put a dowel piece glued in the center of the pole, glued the piece back together and had some carbon tape of some sort that he wrapped them with. It lasted a few weeks before the repair came apart and he was skiing for a few hours without any poles at all.
    The only carbon poles I’ve ever had were hand-me-downs. Always hated how they splintered at the worst possible time. At least when you break the metal ones there is a chance to fix it with a hose clamp, straps, etc.

But back on topic- straps can be kind of nice when learning on your poles in line, skating on the flats, touring up hill, etc. But I’m too spooked to ski with them. Every once in a while I snag something in the trees at speed, and while it’s never enough to fuck up an arm or shoulder, it keeps me on edge.

So I just grab the pole and strap together. It’s the only solution. Strap cutters are quitters.

Quote Originally Posted by gwat View Post
    All you kooks who ski without straps must never skate or not care about doing it efficiently.
    The latter.

This was covered maybe 4 pages back. You put your palms on top of the poles. No straps needed. Works better if you have the little Line hairpin tabs or if you’ve knotted your straps into little balls. QED.

YOU CANNOT DEFEAT MY SNAKE STYLE!!!

Why is everyone skating so much? Ya'll ski areas that flat? At my area the gnar starts at the offload ramp and doesn't quit till halfway through the lift corral at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    This was covered maybe 4 pages back. You put your palms on top of the poles. No straps needed. Works better if you have the little Line hairpin tabs or if you’ve knotted your straps into little balls. QED.
    I seek out the old scott grips that have a big fat top for a nice comfy platform for my big hands.