Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    So, this is now a bonafide mini? everyone who skis the pitch non stop, with the uphill hand in the pole strap, and the downhill hand sans pole strap, with out stopping, gets 1k? Epic!

Atleast thats what reading everyother post suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    Mine feel like they need lubrication, and seem inordinately difficult to engage - sometimes it will feel like you are in, and yet you didn't get it in far enough to engage

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    Ok so I mean 45 degrees.....

Attachment 365046

Its never gets below 33 degrees in pitch.
    Does it get above? I thought maybe you had your slope meter flipped so a 30* slope looks like 60* but realized even if you had it backwards, 45 would still be 45. So slay on. If I’m ever out skiing the eastern way, I’ll hit you up for a lap on it. Looks like a cool little shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Does it get above? I thought maybe you had your slope meter flipped so a 30* slope looks like 60* but realized even if you had it backwards, 45 would still be 45. So slay on. If I’m ever out skiing the eastern way, I’ll hit you up for a lap on it. Looks like a cool little shot.
    Wouldn't that be 135 degrees?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1891504D-8797-454B-9011-D8E2681BAAB1.gif 
Views:	138 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	365068

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Wouldn't that be 135 degrees?

Name:	1891504D-8797-454B-9011-D8E2681BAAB1.gif 
Views:	138 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	365068
    Do not fuck with Dee Hubbs when it comes to spreadsheets and high school math. You will lose. It’s like bringing a knife to a gunfight. If your knife was plastic. And a spoon.

Regardless, at this point I just ask him politely for the answer.

I was thinking the meter in a compass that always confuses the shit out of people because they don’t know which is the vertical axis. But yeah, not into BASE jumping so no way am I skiing that chute with bush. 135*? Nuts. I’d double pole plant too. Right after I double sharted. Sober.

I was thinking the meter in a compass that always confuses the shit out of people because they don’t know which is the vertical axis. But yeah, not into BASE jumping so no way am I skiing that chute with bush. 135*? Nuts. I’d double pole plant too. Right after I double sharted. Sober.
    Shit. If that chute is 135°, I'd chip another $1k into the ski off pot. That's serious gnar.

Here is the answer from some of the ski pole manufacturers...

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	365076

Ya but I wanna know what colour pole is the fastest in 23 degree chutes.

And does adding grip tape with little hockey stick doo dads improve the double pole capabilities.. asking for a friend

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I do the same, but I use the Leki Trigger S straps at the ski area and like them.
    I used to use these but I fall sometimes and snow gets in the pole and I'd have trouble clipping them in.

No straps now and loving it.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by grrrmountainman View Post
    Ya but I wanna know what colour pole is the fastest in 23 degree chutes.
    The answer is obvious- the red ones!

I was thinking the meter in a compass that always confuses the shit out of people because they don’t know which is the vertical axis. Blah
    Blah
    Blah.
    Sober.
    ¿So you have ski partners that can't figure this out when making avalanche hazard assessments? 8|

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Solid assumption. They also wear their pole straps.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Okay, fuckface, nobody in this thread other than you has said anything about "swimming in an avalanche." Poles strapped to your wrists are anchors in a slide, anchors that in the grand scheme of things are located pretty close to your airway. I can recall several avalanche reports that have noted the use of pole straps as a contributing factor in a fatal burial, including on that happened earlier this winter.

Shoulder injuries related to pole straps are even more common and well documented than them acting as anchors in an avalanche. Your ignorance is showing.

Make sure you strap your poles on extra tight from now, mkay?
    Oh great. The avie guy is back. Figures that you have never educated yourself. I remember your brilliance from the risk calculating and snowpack post you replied to. I would challenge you to a ski off, but I guess I couldn't follow you to that crazy backcountry you ski. Jesus... having no clue about anything avie related and then insulting someone. I know that insults are your thing, but still.

Swimming moves are one of the reasons to get rid of your poles, according to literature. I've always thought that to be purely academic and not doable in a real situation as I haven't read about it as a thing in any of the accident Analyses over here. And compared to other risks the pole anchor is probably neglible as I've never read any dedicated slf (or any other avie service over here). Study about it and thought it to be purely anecdotal.

And as others have pointed out it apparently happens, as does the shoulder thing. I've never read about a significant number so I asked. I've never had my poles get stuck in some plant scenario (as opposed to my skis hanging in the tree unable to reach up to them because of my pack. Unpleasant).

But you keep digging pits, ski cutting and unstrapping to be safe. I'll stick to the stuff that has a significant effect. And burn your maps like powdork because they can't help you either.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Solid assumption. They also wear their pole straps.
    And i ski in nonreleasable bindings. I have tried swimming with them. And was glad to be in the warm kiddy pool.

And admirably, sometimes I look funny at my compass slope meter, but I figure it out, even after a safety meeting.

dude you so funny.

here is the deal.

If you can some here and ski that chute with out stopping and with out falling Ill give you 1k.

seriously.

for all I know you sage fucking catabringa and you come school me.

I mean Ill even cover travel expenses if you live away.

otherwise your just another nameless troll who does nt know skiing.

PM if you want to do this.
    Time out. Ski the chute without falling or stopping and I get $1000? Well fuck me running.

I want a video with you holding the $1000 telling me you will see me in March 5th posted here and I will then come up and ski your 45 degree chute and go home with my $1000 on March 5th.

Unless one of the other guys wants to take even more of his money by having to fly in.

But just to be clear, $1000 plus the cost of travel. I’m going to leave with a 1/3 of a tank of fuel so be sure to have an extra $80 to give me for diesel and I’m probably going to want lunch and I’ll need a bag of weed too, but not that northern Vermont schwag, but southern Vt gold. So I’d say $1250 to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Time out. Ski the chute without falling or stopping and I get $1000? Well fuck me running.

I want a video with you holding the $1000 telling me you will see me in March 5th posted here and I will then come up and ski your 45 degree chute and go home with my $1000 on March 5th.

Unless one of the other guys wants to take even more of his money by having to fly in.

But just to be clear, $1000 plus the cost of travel. I’m going to leave with a 1/3 of a tank of fuel so be sure to have an extra $80 to give me for diesel and I’m probably going to want lunch and I’ll need a bag of weed too, but not that northern Vermont schwag, but southern Vt gold. So I’d say $1250 to be safe.
    Clearly you’ve never had the soup an Steaux. Better up that to $1350.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Clearly you’ve never had the soup an Steaux. Better up that to $1350.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Real Vermonters don’t go in a lodge. Ever.

Dude, I looked at the streetview near that chute, what a clusterfuck.

Name:	A21259FE-E71F-4E3B-8E9A-AD3E222E41B4.jpeg 
Views:	137 
Size:	923.9 KB 
ID:	365096

I don’t know how you guys deal with that shit day in and day out.

Why arent Releasable poles straps the standard?

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Dude, I looked at the streetview near that chute, what a clusterfuck.

Name:	A21259FE-E71F-4E3B-8E9A-AD3E222E41B4.jpeg 
Views:	137 
Size:	923.9 KB 
ID:	365096

I don’t know how you guys deal with that shit day in and day out.
    It’s gotten really bad since covid. And people wonder why the locals are so hostile all the time..... I dunno maybe go trash your own states?! It sucks.

I do love a good argument with a flat lander though that’s fucking for sure.

Don't forget to check the spare before you leave.

Dudes, what have I missed? This looks great, going back to the beginning of this gem of a thread!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Don't forget to check the spare before you leave.
    Do you think I will need one? I could add that into the travel expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Whaaat? Where it’s almost like you’re trying (but not quite succeeding) in pushing yourself out of the backseat as you push your tails from turn to turn?
    This is what I see. Not a classic double pole plant, but this.

Do you think I will need one? I could add that into the travel expenses.
    Please tell me you are going to actually go ski this moderately steep “chute”.

Dude what ? your now posting entirely baseless shit.

You have now treaded into literally illegality of slander.

TGR once served will have to give up your IP.
    Dude... can you hear yourself?

Simmer down, Karen.