Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Back in the 80's my buddy took the level 2 ski instrcutor and told us we need straps for proper wrist action on pole technique and in practise I agree with him but if you ski trees very much you might get your shoulder pulled out and also you gotta take them off everytime you ride the chair

i use this entirely new concept where i leave the straps on the pole and don't put my hand thru the loop

probably gona patenet it

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I even see the cool young kids with no straps. Hell they even have no pole at all, with that cool snake style.
    no belt or a sizing chart either maaannnn !
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Can you snake dolphin? Or dolphin snake?
    Name:  CE1089E7-B6EA-4ED6-9B83-48536CB3AD53.jpeg
Views: 1160
Size:  35.5 KB

Not anymore you can’t. Not anymore.

Let’s not forget the real reason you need pole straps: the Texas Suitcase.

Name:  AF68FF96-78B5-4A4D-9DC0-B6D044377891.png
Views: 1303
Size:  136.3 KB

I still have an old pair of Aluminium ski poles from the early 80's that had straps with a plastic clip to attach the strap together. Worked great until one day after many years of use, the one clip piece broke and now that strap is just tied together. They are sitting in a closet or the basement still somewhere.

Damn I forgot about the Texas Suitcase.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    A true alpine ski skater always uses his pole straps for the perfect technique. You new wave alpine ski skaters think you are on to something with this short pole without a strap business but you look ridiculous! Us purists will continue to snicker as you pass by working 1.357% harder than us.
    Maybe you can work on your grip strength while you're hanging out on the couch for the next 10-ish days. Then you can join the strapless revolution!

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Damn I forgot about the Texas Suitcase.
    The Houston Handbag.

Serious question: I've heard all the " uh you can't swim in an avie argument", but I've never seen a victim with poles attached to them. (maybe there are). And I've heard of few people who were in such a mellow avie that they actually tried to swim. Usually it's more like "I ragdolled and hung on for dear life". And if the avie releases my skis (which are way more of an anchor pulling you down) , it certainly "releases" my poles. I've never had them on me when I crashed hard. And how do you destroy your shoulder with them In the trees? I mean for the pole to get stuck and not destroy the basket, or just pull you out of the strap you'd have to be really unlucky?
    Having said that, I must admit my straps are usually very loose. Maybe that's the difference.

I really don't get it.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I have a question. Why are you pole planting behind you? Or is that the next lesson?

You must be talking about this clip.

https://youtu.be/9d96xmVH91I?t=104

blocking pole plant. Chute is 45 degrees you go much more across the hill than something more mellow.

it looks behind from the behind view for sure. The first one I am using the pole to block my rotation and get the first turn to happen. This will help get a turn started in a very difficult situation.

Modern skiing is pole touching close to the our boots than towards our tips. Blocking pole touches even further behind especially on steeper slopes. More gentle pole touches are just slightly ahead of the boot out to the side.

About 15 years ago I got my basket caught on a branch and it stopped me dead in my tracks. Like cartoon-style yanked uphill and my skis were in the air. It almost dislocated my shoulder.

I haven't used straps since. The only reason I keep them on the poles is to hang them up in the garage. If I am skating, my hands are on top of the grips anyways. If you don't have the grip strength to ski without straps I suggest furious masturbation, including the stranger.

There've been several tree well deaths at my local ski hill that were at least partly attributed to the person being head down, on top of their poles with their hands stuck in the straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    You must be talking about this clip.

https://youtu.be/9d96xmVH91I?t=104

blocking pole plant. Chute is 45 degrees you go much more across the hill than something more mellow.

it looks behind from the behind view for sure. The first one I am using the pole to block my rotation and get the first turn to happen. This will help get a turn started in a very difficult situation.

Modern skiing is pole touching close to the our boots than towards our tips. Blocking pole touches even further behind especially on steeper slopes. More gentle pole touches are just slightly ahead of the boot out to the side.
    That’s the clip, but I’m talking about the double pole plants. I’ve noticed it in other clips of you skiing as well. Why ya plantin’ both poles, bud? Is that modern skiing too?
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post

Let’s not forget the real reason you need pole straps: the Texas Suitcase.

Name:  AF68FF96-78B5-4A4D-9DC0-B6D044377891.png
Views: 1303
Size:  136.3 KB
    Hiking Aspen Highlands last week about 3/4s up I was taking a breather and see a youngster go by carrying a Texas suitcase.
    Was perplexed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I even see the cool young kids with no straps. Hell they even have no pole at all, with that cool snake style.
    WAAAAAAAAHHH!!!

Years ago I dug a friend out of an avalanche. He was completely buried with the back of his head about an inch under the snow, facing down. He was completely immobilized, as his hands were in his pole straps and in front of his chest. Without straps, he would have been a self rescue, or could have cleared the snow so he could breath. I’m now a now strap convert in any conditions where I think it could slide.

That’s the clip, but I’m talking about the double pole plants. I’ve noticed it in other clips of you skiing as well. Why ya plantin’ both poles, bud? Is that modern skiing too?
    double pole plant? You mean both poles at once? Or holding on to the old pole while the new one comes up?

This at 1:02?

https://youtu.be/9d96xmVH91I?t=61

I planted and then decided to not turn, as the line would have been worse then where I went.

or this at 1:21?

https://youtu.be/9d96xmVH91I?t=81

not really a double pole plant just a situation where both poles happen to be on the ground at once but one is swinging and the other remains on the ground.

A double pole plant is both swing and touch at the same time. Its something that I never do it has no real purpose. Do you have video stamp of me where both poles swinging and touching at same time?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    There've been several tree well deaths at my local ski hill that were at least partly attributed to the person being head down, on top of their poles with their hands stuck in the straps.
    I am have literally pulled my hands out of pole strap upside in a tree well.....

but in eastern hardwoods not really much of a concern, tree well simply do not form except in higher elevation for the east pine trees....

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Hiking Aspen Highlands last week about 3/4s up I was taking a breather and see a youngster go by carrying a Texas suitcase.
    Was perplexed.
    Talk about a fucking power move. Pretty sure you’re his bitch now.

Why arent Releasable poles straps the standard?

So you’re not stabbing the ground with your uphill hand?

Ok.

Edit: Watched your pedantic video again. 1:47 and thereabouts.
    focus.

So you’re not stabbing the ground with your uphill hand?

Ok.

Edit: Watched your pedantic video again. 1:47 and thereabouts.
    those arent double pole touches.....

You can literally see one pole in the air in the clip on the steep chute. again no idea what you are seeing.

Those are some extreme blocking pole touches where in inside hand appears almost behind me. I agree it looks weird.

This is a very competent skier in same canyon. I believe this chute is just as steep, widers but rockier

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLnLZNmlnAG/

again it looks weird but steep chute skiing is a different beast than skiing a 30 degree bump run inbounds.

this is the same run from the bottom angle. again I am not seeing double pole plants....

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLAWqvEjO4M/

If you local and you want a tour to some steep stuff between Smuggs and Stowes I would be glad to show you.

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Was perplexed.
    Obviously the terrain was too extreme and he was walking DH

so for doing the double pole plants ... straps or not ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Obviously the terrain was too extreme and he was walking DH

so for doing the double pole plants ... straps or not ?
    straps.

but there is no double pole plant.....

seriously its humorous to think this.

This is a double pole plant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RniHI8v-uT8

pole swing and touch happen at the same time for both poles. It doesnt mean both poles are the ground, or a blocking pole plant where the inside hand opens up and stays planted till its uphill from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    those arent double pole touches.....

You can literally see one pole in the air in the clip on the steep chute. again no idea what you are seeing.

Those are some extreme blocking pole touches where in inside hand appears almost behind me. I agree it looks weird.
    You’re stabbing both arms down as you throw your shoulders around to initiate your turn.

It’s cool, bro. We’re all improving.
    focus.

umm I am literally not stabbing both arm down? So the pole are in the air at the same time, and hitting the ground at the same time?

To be clear you making stuff up to troll me, I mean the I have literally video, watching the video I asked people who would be dead honest with me and they said there was no double pole touch.

I mean when you can nt objectively beat someone down, just make up shit right?

pretty sure I reached up to block a branch....You can see the branch moving after I passed....

I... what? You aren’t doing the thing you’re doing?

With that kind of honest, sober self-assessment, it’s a wonder you aren’t on the D team.
    focus.

I... what? You aren’t doing the thing you’re doing?

With that kind of honest, sober self-assessment, it’s a wonder you aren’t on the D team.
    again there is no double pole plant man.

eh.......I am on the Dev Team. Never tried out for the for the Demo team. I hate synchro skiing and that is basically the end goal of the Demo Team.

Beside I can influence more though a youtube channel than I ever could working though the PSIA.