Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Half Dome skied

Quote Originally Posted by CG_#3 View Post
    I was initially thinking, there's nowhere that I know they can ski the actual half dome on any aspect, as it's steep drop off all around. Then I read the article, '...skied the iconic shoulder of Half Dome'. Shoulder.

Even though it was not what I was thinking at first, yet it is still bad ass.
    They skied down the same cable line people hike up, from the top.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Is this the same route that zellars (sp?) rode in the 90s?

Wild!

I still remember watching someone’s camera bouncing down near the cable.
    One of the best nights of my life on top. The sunrise shadow on Glacier Point - yes.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Is this the same route that zellars (sp?) rode in the 90s?

Wild!
    except did he continue past the saddle?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    They skied down the same cable line people hike up, from the top.
    oh!

Quote Originally Posted by CG_#3 View Post
    I was initially thinking, there's nowhere that I know they can ski the actual half dome on any aspect, as it's steep drop off all around. Then I read the article, '...skied the iconic shoulder of Half Dome'. Shoulder.

Even though it was not what I was thinking at first, yet it is still bad ass.
    Nope. The video shows them on the west face of Half Dome--the cable route. They continued along the hiking route over the shoulder and then left the hiking route and rappelled the steep slabs that climbers use to approach the N face routes, until they reach gentler ground and snow. There's a drawing of their route in the Fresno Bee article.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The video shows them on the east face of Half Dome--the cable route.
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    FIFY
    Of course. Doh. Thank you.

my phone reveals 42 degrees

Damn. Aside from the steepness (yeah, I've watched a smartphone zing down past me while "hiking" up that), it's a granite slab; just counting on the snow staying attached to the rock is a serious challenge.

The rest of the descent, first descent all the way to the valley floor, seems like a bit of a gimmick, given that they rapped the cliff sections; I've gone from the base of the sub-dome to the base of the NW face (and back), and it's kind of steep, but hardly crazy. And really, if you're on some kind of boards, you'd might as well stay on them all the way down for as long as the snow lasts, whichever way you go. But holy shit on the descent of the dome itself.

I seem to recall a snowboarder did what might have been the first unprotected glisse descent of Half Dome. And, as far as I'm aware, Eric Perlman and (my college friend) Bob Bellman did the first ski descent, in belayed (utilizing the cable) stages, back in 1980ish.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    Damn. Aside from the steepness (yeah, I've watched a smartphone zing down past me while "hiking" up that), it's a granite slab; just counting on the snow staying attached to the rock is a serious challenge.

The rest of the descent, first descent all the way to the valley floor, seems like a bit of a gimmick, given that they rapped the cliff sections; I've gone from the base of the sub-dome to the base of the NW face (and back), and it's kind of steep, but hardly crazy. And really, if you're on some kind of boards, you'd might as well stay on them all the way down for as long as the snow lasts, whichever way you go. But holy shit on the descent of the dome itself.

I seem to recall a snowboarder did what might have been the first unprotected glisse descent of Half Dome. And, as far as I'm aware, Eric Perlman and (my college friend) Bob Bellman did the first ski descent, in belayed (utilizing the cable) stages, back in 1980ish.
    According to my son who's made a couple of half-assed attempts on the NW face the hard part is below the NW face, hard enough that a lot of climbers do what you did--take the trail the long way around the back side of the dome (Harding didn't consider it the back side but everyone else does) and drop down to the base of the NW face, rather than climb the death slabs directly up from Tenaya Ck, (Also according to my son, if you really fuck up and go up the canyon to the Porcelain Wall by mistake and then traverse across to the base of the NW face it's REALLY hairy. On one of his half-assed attempts he left a rope which was gone when he came back. The joke will be on anyone who takes a fall on that rope, because it was a static line.)

I just looked up the topo view, and you're right, HD's skirt is serious stuff for sure (though, again, that cable route, with a thin layer of snow clinging to smooth steep granite remains the whoa attraction). Perhaps not as classic a line as the Death Slabs, but it looks like the north-facing gully off of Ahwiyah Point (class 3, FA by David Brower) might have been an interesting alternative (though with what looks like an extra steep bit half-way down it, that and possibly huge slide hazard from above and within).

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    meh.. saving my enthusiasm for "El cap the Nose skied switch to the meadow" head line

[crazy... especially the climber guy would just sort of decided to ski it on a whim!]
    Hope it's done by a woman..."It goes, boys."

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I skied half dome years ago on snow skates with tele bindings. If I wasn't a new member here then I'd be able to post the vid...

I thought Rick Sylvester did this.

Answer

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Hope it's done by a woman..."It goes, boys."
    That was so funny of you mate

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    According to my son who's made a couple of half-assed attempts on the NW face the hard part is below the NW face, hard enough that a lot of climbers do what you did--take the trail the long way around the back side of the dome (Harding didn't consider it the back side but everyone else does) and drop down to the base of the NW face
    I agree. I climbed the NW Face a thousand years ago. Hiked up trail, descended slabs. The descent down the slabs are aptly named. Route finding was not easy, and fall potential quite high. A guy died on the death slabs a couple weeks before we descended, then Derek Hersey died soloing the Steck Salathe a week before we climbed it.

not quite half dome but kind of a visionary ski for Oregon
    https://turns-all-year.com/trip-reports/ride-the-wolf
    off your knees Louie