Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    My wife made a triple batch of muffins for some school event. She doesn’t cook that often and she had to redo a batch for some reason, so she was pretty happy with her accomplishment. Maybe so happy that she had a lapse in judgment and left them unattended. The yellow lab took down every single one in just a few minutes. Three dozen muffins gone like that. When she came back, there were cooling racks and muffin tins in the floor, but few signs that any muffins had ever existed. The house smelled like banana tinged death farts for the next couple of days.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

^ never forget leaving the kitchen with a package of sliced ham on the counter when we had a black lab. I walk back in 30 seconds later to the sight of her tongue lapping against the back of that bag.

Ms MT always has like a brazillion windows open in safari on her phone. I abesent-mindly pick her phone up and start shutting down windows until I notice a search on "my puppy ate my eyeglass chain." next day = $300 Vet ER bill.
    "Can't you see..."

The old lady ate a cellophane wrapped block of cheese and managed to eat very little cellophane. She was not happy pooping for a couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

bullshit your dog gets into

Sorry if I’ve already posted this. We had a little terrier that loved crayons. Our yard would be scattered with little rainbow turds. He was a smart little bugger and would stash them so that despite our efforts to keep them out of his reach, we’d still find the random rainbow turd. He also ate a used condom which didn’t know about until we discovered it in the yard.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Years ago I was putting a pizza together when Chinook, our first husky, started knocking stuff off of our bed. When I went back to investigate he split. A half second later I realized it was a diversion, but it was too late. He ate the entire 18" pizza raw.
    Chinook could also open doors, gates and my wife's car door.
    Definitely kept us on our toes
    RIP Chinook.

Trying to find the right thread to post came across this one. Somehow never did before, but just read through the entire thing - pretty funny/entertaining. Having spent most of my time on earth in the company of dogs I have my own personal collection of poo eating, counter surfing, furniture munching and eVet stories, but this is the latest that brought me here.

A few days ago I was walking in the woods with my hound mix. Every trip outdoors is like a speed-laced acid trip for him - all his senses go on overload, and he’s triggered by any smell, noise or movement. Furry critters, (especially small ones), drive him nuts! I’m resigned to accepting this reality, so I manage it by never letting him off leash when we’re out. Recall? What dat?

Anyway, just a nice leisurely stroll on a pleasant Indian summer afternoon, with him sniffing and pissing, having a good ole dog time. Eyeing all the chipmunks (ground squirrels?) he couldn’t go after cause I had him on a 15’ flexi. Came across a big downed tree - maybe 30” diameter - and he hopped on to survey the surroundings, as he is wont to do. Then he hopped down on the other side and went back to sniffing chipmunk holes, as he is wont to do.

A flash later he was high-tailing it the fuck out of there, and a flash after that I realized he was covered in yellow jackets, with a steady stream pouring out of the ground! I took off after him, headed in the direction of the car, which was a few hundred yards away in a parking lot. After putting a little distance between us and the nest I paused, briefly, to pluck/brush as many yellow jackets as I could off him - he had maybe a dozen or more on him at that point. Of course they found me pretty too pretty quickly, so off we both went again. (I think I caught a glimpse of Usain Bolt in the shuffle, but I was definitely tripping hard on adrenaline at that point, so...)

This went on for a couple of iterations. The pursuing winged warriors lessened, but there were still a few on our trail as we neared the car, and by that point I’d suffered maybe half a dozen stings, including one that made it under my ball cap which I had been using to flail away at em in an instinctive but mostly futile attempt to keep em off. My dog never whelped once, but judging by some welts along his back he got nailed a few times too. I think his fur and hide saved him somewhat, and I at least had long pants on.

At the car I got the few remaining yellow jackets off him, and we got in with only maybe a couple joining us. I opened the window and got one out, and thinking we were safe started to drive off, only to be stung one last time by one that had crawled into my t-shirt sleeve. Fuck! At least I didn’t wreck the car.

Finally we were safe, and I pulled over to check on him, and myself. Both a bit shell-shocked, but seemed ok. Got back home, drank some water, and kept a close eye on things all evening. We survived our first (and hopefully last) yellow jacket attack.

P.S. The following evening we went for a walk in some different woods, and the minute I had my eyes off him he had his nose in another chipmunk hole! I guess we’re a good pair. Don’t learn so good, not even the hard way.

Kind regards.

TL;DR My nutty hound mix stuck his snout in the wrong fucking hole, and we paid the price.

fomofo - Benadryl is your friend ( for the hound, too ) -

yellowjackets are nasty.

dogs - especially hounds - sniff squirrel holes ( I thought you were (gonna) say he got sprayed by a skunk ! )

Maybe next time...

skiJ

Thx for the reminder. Definitely need to have some Benadryl at home, and to keep in at least a minimal first aid kit for hikes of any significance. If we’d been in a less open area could’ve been a whole lot worse.

Haven’t had a dog cross a skunk in a long time; hope to keep it that way.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    sheldons a burr magnet
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Our reverse brindle boxer finds a skunk this time of year about every other week. I think with Gracie the skunks go to the forever skunk-land.

The white boxer must be smarter, usually only once a season.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

My Malamute was on the table eating the kitty tuna the other day. She hasn't done that in about 10 years, but with kittens in the house, it is game on.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Hey folks, we have another dog, 10 year old lab/pitt mix, and while we were grocery shopping this morning while in the car she ate about 10-12" of a seat belt harness. Semi thick nylon webbing, leash-like material. She didn't eat any of the metal buckles or doubled up sections. We try to make sure there's nothing available for her to gobble when we leave her and the hound in the car, but fucked up and missed that. Usually take my old Jeep for local runs, but someone tried to saw off my catalytic converter, and that left me stranded on the side of the highway last night. (That's another story.)

Anyway, we went through something like this several years ago with same dog and ended up at the vet to have surgery when it got blocked and wouldn't pass. It looked horrible but was a routine job for them, (like knees and tib/fibs for Ortho's in ski country), so it turned out ok, but was very expensive.

Called our regular vet, but they don't have any appointments till next Tuesday, and said to call emergency vet. I left regular vet to call if anything possibly opens up, but that's looking unikely.

So, thought I'd ask if anyone has experience inducing vomiting to get something like that back up while it's still fresh into the system? (Less than an hour ago.)
    Last edited by fomofo; 09-27-2022 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Updated, looking for wisdom of the crowd

in all creatures great and small (book) they induced vomiting's with english hot mustard in a pooch

syrup of ipicach is dangerous for dogs

I have heard of hydrogen peroxide to make dogs puke

Thx for the response. After talking to eVet since our dog has no medical conditions and this wasn't a poison case they suggested hydrogen peroxide. Two rounds of 3 teaspoons via syringe in mouth yielded this...

Name:  Leash Hork.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  175.9 KB

Think we're good now. Whew.

Lots of vet vids on youtube, but this is a good general reference...

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/he...a-dog-throw-up

Fomofo, you steal my dog?

Hound mix, very similar behavior to yours and doesn't go off leash. 3 days in a row last summer he got into a ground wasp nest. 2 summers in a row....

Smart, but also dumb.

I keep a 10ml syringe rubber banded to the peroxide, easy to force them to swallow. After the first induced vomiting event (ate poisonous shrooms) he doesn't like the taste....
    Last edited by krp8128; 09-27-2022 at 08:07 PM.

Jesus, dogs! You can live with em, although it sure can be a pain!

But you sure can't live without em!

Quote Originally Posted by fomofo View Post
    Jesus, dogs! You can live with em, although it sure can be a pain!

But you sure can't live without em!
    Yep!

Year 1: ate a bee 4 hours from a vet. Swelled up and spent all night "swallowing" due to swelling. Poor pup was ~6 months
    Year 2: mushrooms. More then once
    Year 3: combs taste good, must steal them from bathroom counter and eat, x3. Wasps.
    Year 4: ground wasps. Jalapenos from garden (took me all summer to figure this one out)

Not counting the multiple instances of torn/cracked dewclaws because he's too skittish to let me trim properly.

Now he just shreds junk mail and paper if I leave it out. Somewhat amusing, as long as I remembered to pay the bill already.

Idiot is on his bed behind me snoring up a storm right now.

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Fomofo, you steal my dog?

Hound mix, very similar behavior to yours and doesn't go off leash. 3 days in a row last summer he got into a ground wasp nest. 2 summers in a row....

Smart, but also dumb.

I keep a 10ml syringe rubber banded to the peroxide, easy to force them to swallow. After the first induced vomiting event (ate poisonous shrooms) he doesn't like the taste....
    I've got a turkey baster that I optimistically keep in the kitchen utensil drawers. It's ratio of dogs barfed to turkeys basted is infinite.

Just 2 words:

Colostomy Bags
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."