Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    They say many of the traits we see in modern breeds were selectively chosen over the generations by the breeders.

Which begs the question, when, and who exactly, looked at labs and said, you know what, we really need to propagate the canine trash-disposal feature in these guys. If its not nailed down, I want them eating it.
    I still call it The Jake.

Grew up with a German Short Hair/Great Dane mix I now just refer to as "the fucked up dog" because of all the shit that went down in his life.
    - Got into the trash and aspirated a chicken bone. Had to be in an oxygen chamber for a few days for that one.
    - Got hit by a car. Nothing major but had a bum leg for a while.
    - Developed a mortal enemy relationship with the large German Shepard next door. They would fight and my dog would inevitably loose due to being smaller and having a much thinner coat. The German Shepard was a known menace having bitten a few people and carried off and killed a local toy poodle. My dog knew his name so if you even said "smoky" in casual conversation, my dog would freak out and instantly be looking for a fight.
    - Once got what we thought was the plague after hanging out in a campground near Tahoe that had warning signs. Vet thinks it was some other tic born disease like Rocky Mountain Spotted fever.
    - Almost got killed by a beaver. I was fly fishing in some beaver ponds and the dog goes for a swim too near the lodge with a momma and her babies about. Momma beaver goes full jaws and takes a chunk out of the dogs back leg only a centimeter from his femoral artery.
    - Finally done in by multiple myeloma. He was a teaching case for a bit at UC Davis vet school from that one.

Dog after him was a black lab who, while didn't have eating problems, had an unnatural obsession with swimming. An early walk we took him on as a small pup was during spring melt along the Little Truckee. It was snowing and the stream was running high. This little puppy just jumps right in and starts hauling ass down the icy rapids. I frantically am running down the bank and a hundred yards or so later he gets to a pool and swims to shore as happy as can be. All through his life we would have to restrain him if near lakes or rivers or he would swim to exhaustion. At home if he broke out, instead of roaming the neighborhood for pussy, he would go find swimming pools and just jump in. One time someone several streets over came home at night to find that dog treading water because the pool was deep and didn't have stairs out, only a ladder. Who knows how long he was treading water but it could have been a while as the dog was exhausted and just crashed out after getting pulled out.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Milo the toy poodle likes to snack on his own turds but only when they are frozen. Mmmmm. Poopsicle. He just licks them.

Labs are the garbage disposals of the dog world. I have been lucky with my two (knock on wood), but then they get walked on leash most of them time to keep them out of trouble, especially the yellow one. Now that she is ten, she is always on leash so she doesn't re-injure what has become a chronic pinched nerve/shoulder issue. My black lab stays out of trouble for the most part, no real eating problems, and is just a super happy dog. She fits the saying "chew until two, shed until dead." She couldn't be left unkenneled when home alone until after she was two. She did eat part of an old couch when I left her alone for 15 minutes after a 1.5 hour walk and I thought she'd be fine. It's like a switch flipped when she turned two though. Now she doesn't bother anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Herriot

good series of books about an english country vet treating mostly dogs
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Herriot

good series of books about an english country vet treating mostly dogs
    I read all of his books, multiple times, as a kid. For a time all I wanted was to be a vet. Forgot about them, though. Thanks for the reminder.
    focus.

Growing up we had beagle once--what a horrible housepet. He must have tried to cross the local river ice and somehow ended up on an ice flow and took a ride 50 miles downriver before he was rescued by someone. They called us to tell us they had our dog. My dad offered them $100 to keep the dog.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I read all of his books, multiple times, as a kid. For a time all I wanted was to be a vet. Forgot about them, though. Thanks for the reminder.
    GF gave his book " Dog Stories " to me,

GF is the spawn of 2 vets who 1st met over the autopsy of a dead pig and the sparks flew

brother is also a Vet, there is always lots of dogs around
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Growing up we had beagle once--what a horrible housepet. He must have tried to cross the local river ice and somehow ended up on an ice flow and took a ride 50 miles downriver before he was rescued by someone. They called us to tell us they had our dog. My dad offered them $100 to keep the dog.
    Did they negotiate the price up any?

She's passed now but my GSD-heeler mix would eat cat poop (probably a bit of litter too). She'd eat the inside of diapers and later shit out the weird things that absorb pee. She ate a block of swiss cheese that was wrapped in saran wrap, she managed to open the saran wrap and eat none of it. She'd kill squirrels and gophers if she could catch them. One of the first trips I took with my partner we were walking down a FS road and the dog saw a chipmunk just before I did, there was nowhere for this thing to go and she caught it, shook it and dropped it. My partner didn't notice it or that it was still semi-alive and twitching until she damn near stepped on it and scared her. She'd also displace all the trash she could get her mouth on and would drag pillows out her doggie door which was much too small for said pillows.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Did they negotiate the price up any?
    I'm not sure what happened financially, but apparently the family who found the idiot had him for a week or two before calling us and their little girl got attached to the dog and didn't want to give him back. So he stayed.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I'm not sure what happened financially, but apparently the family who found the idiot had him for a week or two before calling us and their little girl got attached to the dog and didn't want to give him back. So he stayed.
    I'm reminded of that ridiculous story about the Portland girl who found a dog and despite its owner finding it in her possession, and she still refused to give it back.

I would have paid her to get lost and keep the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    WTF is up with labs?
    They are the Honda Odyssey of dogs, what do you expect? Reliable, can fit a lot of shit in them...vanilla but functional.

I have a 2 year old lab mix that has an amazing nose for marijuana edible tainted human poop. There is an unfortunate amount of homeless camping around various trails here and my boy has gotten stoned from edible tainted poop no less than 4 times. His reactions vary, and can be quite disturbing, but he must like it because he keeps going back for more. Usually he sleeps it off but sometimes he'll just wobble for hours while he's riding it out. He won't eat or drink anything but he will blow bubbles in his water bowl and tip over his food bowl in protest.

Sorry for the pics., but I miss my guy. He used to get into all sorts of B/S. Sticks, rocks, limbs, a real drooler (YUMMY!). I used to regularly pull twigs, plastic bags, rags, etc., out of his ass. I bet his stomach was like that of the directed shark in JAWS
    Name:  1375252_1420564541494802_1550101134_n.jpeg
Views: 623
Size:  25.7 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0796.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	444.0 KB 
ID:	364832

Name:	IMG_0996.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	954.7 KB 
ID:	364833

Name:	IMG_2642.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	382.6 KB 
ID:	364834
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    With that he blocks my path to the squirrel and insists I take it to the vet. I just sort of stare at him with a WTF look. With that he takes off his down coat, wraps the bloody squirrel in it and starts walking in nothing but a t-shirt to the vet clinic about a 25 minute walk.
    That is fucking funny. I wonder what the vet said. More likely the squirrel died in his arms, he said a quick prayer, and he slid the thing into a trash can on top of some empty Mountain Dew bottles.

This thread perfectly illustrates why I laugh when people say not to give their dog peanut butter or whatever because of "possible food allergies." HA! Those people evidently have met a lab. Living garbage disposals is right!

My other dog is no slouch either, although at least has a more refined pallet than my pig poop eating half-lab did (blech). Harry was over at my house once when she stole an ENTIRE RACK of cooked baby back ribs while we were chilling outside. I always heard cooked pork bones can kill a dog. Evidently not mine. Like 10 pounds of ribs didn't phase her whatsoever. Unbelievable what a dog can put down. She also likes to eat entire whole loafs of that super dense Dave's Killer Bread. Every. Damn. Time I buy it, she will rip open the cabinets and find it. Had to start putting my bread on top of the fridge. Weims are some freaking awful food thieves, but at least they're a bit more selective than labs.

Bernadoodle. Favourite treat is frozen horse poop. LOVES poopsickles as we call them .... his turds for the next few days look exactly like horse manure .

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Dad, I can huck that"

Better frozen then ramming his shoulder into and then rolling over onto Merde in the spring
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

As a teen I had a big old crazy Irish setter. I think he must’ve been in bread. Every day after school I would walk him for about an hour in the woods. He used to love to catch and eat possums groundhogs skunks squirrels whatever. I can still remember their shrill cry as they were being torn apart. My dog weighed about 110 pounds and once he got his teeth into an animal there was no controlling him. One Christmas Eve I was walking him in my parents neighborhood. Most Homes were on three-quarter acres to 1 1/2 acre lots that were well groomed. Anyway the dog was off the leash at about 10:00PM when like a bat out of hell he ran from the street to the front porch of the neighbors house there he found about eight newborn kittens. He left everyone of them on the front porch. He never ate them. He just like to kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by spotted dogs View Post
    Bernadoodle. Favourite treat is frozen horse poop. LOVES poopsickles as we call them .... his turds for the next few days look exactly like horse manure
    Both my Great Danes LOVE the horse poop. The breeder has horses.
    My guys also loved the poopsicles until about the age of one. Then it magically and thankfully stopped.
    Last edited by Buzzworthy; 02-25-2021 at 07:24 PM.

^^^^summer is his second favorite .The fresher the better. He has had more than a few green/ brown beards!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Dad, I can huck that"

My lab has been eating his own shit for the last 3 weeks. It’s like a delicacy for him. He fucking loves it. It has turned his farts deadly.
    Other than being diligent about picking it up I’m not sure what I can do to make him stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by knumbskull View Post
    I have a 2 year old lab mix that has an amazing nose for marijuana edible tainted human poop. There is an unfortunate amount of homeless camping around various trails here and my boy has gotten stoned from edible tainted poop no less than 4 times. His reactions vary, and can be quite disturbing, but he must like it because he keeps going back for more. Usually he sleeps it off but sometimes he'll just wobble for hours while he's riding it out. He won't eat or drink anything but he will blow bubbles in his water bowl and tip over his food bowl in protest.
    This might beat the razor blade story, ha! Some of you really have Meth Labs, not regular labs.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    As a teen I had a big old crazy Irish setter. I think he must’ve been in bread. Every day after school I would walk him for about an hour in the woods. He used to love to catch and eat possums groundhogs skunks squirrels whatever. I can still remember their shrill cry as they were being torn apart. My dog weighed about 110 pounds and once he got his teeth into an animal there was no controlling him. One Christmas Eve I was walking him in my parents neighborhood. Most Homes were on three-quarter acres to 1 1/2 acre lots that were well groomed. Anyway the dog was off the leash at about 10:00PM when like a bat out of hell he ran from the street to the front porch of the neighbors house there he found about eight newborn kittens. He left everyone of them on the front porch. He never ate them. He just like to kill them.
    problem was not the dog, it was an 'in bread' owner who would not control his dog or even figure out what a leash is.

Quote Originally Posted by knumbskull View Post
    News you can use! I had no idea there was enough THC left for doggo to get high.