Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

salomon soft bases?

Has anyone noticed Salomon skis having soft bases? Both pairs of Salomons(QST 106 and stance 96) I have seem to get a base weld if I run over a little pebble but all my other skis(Fischer Nordica and Armada) seem to be pretty bomber compared to the Salomons. Just wondering if other have noticed similar traits?

sounds like a case of confirmation bias

my armadas and my salomons have performed the same. possibly because they are made in the same place.
    bumps are for poor people

IME, Salomon bases are more durable/resistant to rock hits than Blizzard bases, which glide fast and structure nicely, but seem to get a core shot if you so much as give them a stern look. I wish Salomons came with thicker edges from the factory, but I have no complaints about the durability of the bases on my Stance 102s.

Praxis bases seem rather durable to me, but that has more to do with the thickness than the material itself. On3p uses the same or very similar bases to Praxis, but theirs are thicker still. And they do that hideous neon green bullshit that hides all base damage short of massive core shots unless you happen to be looking in just the right light.

A ski base should be straight black: no logos, no diecuts, no stupid colors. Black. I order my Praxis with solid black bases, even though I think it might bug Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    hideous neon green bullshit that hides all base damage short of massive core shots unless you happen to be looking in just the right light.
    agreed on the green.

They are thick as shit and made of some of the more durable base material out there though, so they have that going for them, which is nice.

However, it aggravates my OCD because it's so damn hard to tell if you've painstakingly brushed them to a perfectly consistent luster though.

yes. even plain white would give better viz for tuning. drives me crazy. their older blue and red bases were better, imo

somebody should be able to say yeah that is the xyz base material and blah blah blah

dps base was really thin, my old shiny top wailers had a hollow knot in the base and you could see the base flex real easy

other than that DPS stuff I have never sweated over base material
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The DPS thin base issue had to do with problems getting the bases flat, and having to grind through a lot of base material to get them there. Which is why you would have those ground through/close to it spots like you describe. That issue largely went away ~8 years ago: it was a problem primarily with the Pure2 construction.

marshal got me full warranty so I sold those wailers brand new in the wrappers and it was never a problem again

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    yes. even plain white would give better viz for tuning. drives me crazy. their older blue and red bases were better, imo
    It's called branding.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by Sessiøn View Post
    It's called branding.
    Do you spend a lot of your time at the ski hill lying on your back with your legs in the air? NTTAWT...

Do you spend a lot of your time at the ski hill lying on your back with your legs in the air? NTTAWT...
    No, but I spend a lot of time on the lift. Are you intentionally being obtuse about the impact of the green base being on-brand for the company which makes them more recognizable?
    Training for Alpental

It's called branding.
    Oh I'm aware that the green sells. But I can still dislike it. shrug

No, but I spend a lot of time on the lift. Are you intentionally being obtuse about the impact of the green base being on-brand for the company which makes them more recognizable?
    Not at all, but I'm making a point about why I choose to give the great majority of my ski-buying dollars to a manufacturer who will make me skis with straight black, logo free bases. And also, nobody who cares about waxing/brushing their skis well and regularly can possibly like the neon green bases.

As I said, they're durable as fuck, but that's about all they have going for them.

As a general rule, I dislike advertising anything for anyone. If outdoor clothing/gear brands released completely unbranded versions of their stuff, I would buy them, even at a premium. I'll support you with my money, but don't turn me into a walking billboard, thanks.

You don't even got to be on the lift...

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 1563
Size:  539.9 KB

I don't agonize over my bases nearly enough for it to bother me, but I also hit a lot of rocks and am way too lazy to fill every little ding. As a marketing strategy, it makes sense.

As a general rule, I dislike advertising anything for anyone. If outdoor clothing/gear brands released completely unbranded versions of their stuff, I would buy them, even at a premium. I'll support you with my money, but don't turn me into a walking billboard, thanks.

I can get a case of Krylon to you in about three days

That's gotta be rough on DWR.

Back to the original point of the thread. Most, but not all, mass produced skis have shitty bases. Most, but not all, small indie brands use pretty good ones.

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Back to the original point of the thread. Most, but not all, mass produced skis have shitty bases. Most, but not all, small indie brands use pretty good ones.

I disagree. And the facts would too.
    Last edited by glademaster; 02-24-2021 at 06:12 PM.

I do feel like the qst 106 I have are more prone to core shots than most skis. I also have the 118 and they don’t seem as core shot prone.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post

that would be nice if it were true

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I do feel like the qst 106 I have are more prone to core shots than most skis. I also have the 118 and they don’t seem as core shot prone.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Did you ever think that this may have to do with the conditions and manner in which you ski the two skis? Seems far more likely that is the culprit, and not different base materials from two skis in the same model line.

A ski base should be straight black: no logos, no diecuts, no stupid colors. Black.
    Fuck, I couldn't agree more.
    Although the green doesn't bother me, especially for the reasons you stated, but I have asked iggy about black bases a few times

My Q Lab bases are fast and hard. And bright green!
    No complaints.
    They did need a good stone grind, though. No stripy pattern from the factory.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I have strong held beliefs in the baby jesus that my ON3P bases/edges are far more durable than my blizzards/volks/blackcrows/big factory skis. I spend a lot of time skiing over moss covered rocks. Very scientific. The latter are likely faster head-to-head on a race course, again science