Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by natebob View Post
    What do you think about limited ROM related to binding ramp?
    "I know the problem. Never had pain. But Limited dorsiflexion. It sucks.
    A more upright boot helps. As does a stiffer boot if you want to push the tongue.
    Also heel lift. Opens the ankle.
    Also ramp angle on bindings is huge. Or delta. Or whatever you call it.
    Having your toe binding lower is a negative. Flat delta is better for us misfit skiers."

Binding Delta and boot forward lean/ramp address two different things. The first addresses the foot and ankle while outside the boot( binding delta/canting) address biomechanics above the ankle.

If you have limited ankle range and if when you stretch your calf with your knee locked and don't feel it in your calf, get your ankles mobilized by a chiropractor.

Binding delta is really hard to get solid information on, but it is related to tibia vs femur length, and/or torso to leg length variances.

Long femur to tibias do better with higher delta, and long tibia to femur do better with flat deltas to negative.

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    "I know the problem. Never had pain. But Limited dorsiflexion. It sucks.
    A more upright boot helps. As does a stiffer boot if you want to push the tongue.
    Also heel lift. Opens the ankle.
    Also ramp angle on bindings is huge. Or delta. Or whatever you call it.
    Having your toe binding lower is a negative. Flat delta is better for us misfit skiers."

Binding Delta and boot forward lean/ramp address two different things. The first addresses the foot and ankle while outside the boot( binding delta/canting) address biomechanics above the ankle.

If you have limited ankle range and if when you stretch your calf with your knee locked and don't feel it in your calf, get your ankles mobilized by a chiropractor.

Binding delta is really hard to get solid information on, but it is related to tibia vs femur length, and/or torso to leg length variances.

Long femur to tibias do better with higher delta, and long tibia to femur do better with flat deltas to negative.
    Thanks.
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

Also if you have excessive ankle joint range of motion you will likely crush any boot unless you lower the heel inside the boot or put a shim under your forefoot inside the boot.

This is not recommended to do on your own, if you are wrong or do too much you can damage your achilles.

Find a boot fitter who can do fore aft stance alignnment.

Curious about the dorsiflexion comments above.

I was told it’s sit in a chair with right angles, and how far can you lift the ball of your foot. For me, not much. And so says my pedorthist boot fitter friend.
    A more upright boot helped. A stiff boot helps.
    A heel lift he gave me to open the ankle. Makes sense. Open it up with the lift, so you have more rom closing back up.

The delta ramp discussion was my own musings. I have had bad results with the same ski on two different bindings, and the only thing I could point out was delta.
    Ymmv.

The tib femur coefficient is interesting. Not sure where I fit there.
    . . .

Skiers bragging about how small of a boot they can cram their feet into remind me of women who wear high heels too small. (Not that there aren't plenty of people skiing in boots too big.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Skiers bragging about how small of a boot they can cram their feet into remind me of women who wear high heels too small. (Not that there aren't plenty of people skiing in boots too big.)
    Heh.
    Then look at it those women’s feet thirty years later. Fugggh

I was never able to drop two sizes. Instep freakishly high.
    Ymmv
    . . .

Curious about the dorsiflexion comments above.

I was told it’s sit in a chair with right angles, and how far can you lift the ball of your foot. For me, not much. And so says my pedorthist boot fitter friend.
    A more upright boot helped. A stiff boot helps.
    A heel lift he gave me to open the ankle. Makes sense. Open it up with the lift, so you have more rom closing back up.

You have a good boot fitter.

The delta ramp discussion was my own musings. I have had bad results with the same ski on two different bindings, and the only thing I could point out was delta.
    Ymmv.

At least you now know what works for you.

For some people it doesn't matter, and for some it matters a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Heh.
    Then look at it those women’s feet thirty years later. Fugggh

I was never able to drop two sizes. Instep freakishly high.
    Ymmv

Bam! good on you for figuring it out.

https://blisterreview.com/gear-101/b...sues-and-myths

guess you haven't met many climbers

you should weigh my bike

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    you should weigh my bike
    waiting for the "90% OF PEOPLE BUY BIKES THAT ARE TOO STIFF" thread

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I used to be one. That's a different kind of pain. But climbing shoes aren't as bad as climbing in undersized high heels.

Quote Originally Posted by AEV View Post
    How do you advanced/expert skiing big guys feel about being in the same 130 boots, so many 150-180lb good skiers are in? Read around here and Blister reviews or other sites, lots of smaller guys in the boots we're supposed to be working with.

I'm 6'2.5" 36" Jeans inseam, 34" bike inseam true measurement, 220lbs fairly low fat. I can't find boots stiff enough. I do actually like flex of the the Salomon 130 Carbon, it felt stiffer than my Firebird 140s, or Raptor 140s. It's too light, but the flex felt more like my ZBs. Good on Salomon. Plugs suck.
    Well my comment to that is a little bit late, but I am 6,2 and 225lbs too and use the Dalbello Krypton ID. It is way stiffer than the Cochise 130 or the Lange RS 130.
    It comes with extra parts to make it even stiffer. Besides the other extra parts it also comes with two tounges (one "hard" and one "soft" version) I use the soft one and none of the extra parts and it is still stiffer than the Cochise or Lange. Might worth to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Heh. Between my climbing shoes, my ski boots, and my soccer cleats from back when I was younger and serious about it, it doesn’t feel like a sport unless I can’t feel my feet.

Bam! good on you for figuring it out.

https://blisterreview.com/gear-101/b...sues-and-myths
    Please. Nobody buy boots with this method. Once in a blue moon will you have to upsize to get instep height but that is so rare. The article doesn't even discuss different volume boots, nor grinding boot boards, molding shells, etc. Lots of boots with high insteps and lots of ways to raise instep height.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Please. Nobody buy boots with this method. Once in a blue moon will you have to upsize to get instep height but that is so rare. The article doesn't even discuss different volume boots, nor grinding boot boards, molding shells, etc. Lots of boots with high insteps and lots of ways to raise instep height.
    That guy sounds like he needs to buy a instep spreader, sheesh

i blame my small feet on the many centuries of foot binding that my people did
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My boots fit my feet extremely well. If someone wearing a size 11 or 11.5 shoe is seriously trying on 28.5 shells, they need to find a different bootfitter, but first they need to tell the shop manager that the bootfitter they have on the floor needs to go.

^^^Yep. I wear 12.5-13 and a 28.5. Snug as fuck, Buckles not really that tight.

90% of people buy boots that are too stiff

10.5 in a 26.5 here. Only problem is my instep is proportionally 2 sizes bigger (thanks Blister!) and have had several boot guys who didn't do anything about it over the years. Finally found a good one that tipped me off about it though. After some work, my boots fit great, could probably take the bottom buckles off, but ironically for this thread, they are on the soft side. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by AEV View Post
    Fuck man, I feel like could dive into this for weeks and write a serious level essay about this. I hate ski boots, so much so I didn't ski more because of Boots than the fact I broke my neck (c6-c7 fracture) 2 years ago. 95% healed FYI, ready to shred, ski boots are worse than a broken neck. I want to re engineer ski boots somehow, but it's not going to happen.

I have a problem it seems, that I need my boots ultra tight to ski at a high level, and it's just not conducive for not cutting off circulation. I try to go with more comfort, but I just can't ski right. I flat out suck if my boots aren't tight as shit. If there is even a millimeter of movement, I have a bad time. It's the only way I can ski fast. otherwise I'm reduced to a pulp, fucken amateur status. The saying "boots are the most important part" is an understatement for me. I used to measure different lengths and angles and whatever of my feet all the time to try to figure this out, go to the best boot fitters in the country, but it just screwed me more it seems.

I tried ZBs in 27.5 and 28.5, both side of the spectrum, 28.5 was numb somewhere and still with too much movement, so out right away. I kept and need to work on my 27.5 ZBs a lot to fit my 11.5 Nike foot. I like a tight shoe, can wear bigger no problem, but 11.5 Nike is my foot on the dot tight comfort. 27.5 ZBs are a fucken bear trap for me, but I feel like I could have a really good boot fitter do something with.

There is a guy down in Reno I need to try. He get's good word on Epicski, but not talked about enough on here. I might bring my 27.5 ZBs down there.

TBH, these Firebird 140s just need a Zipfit and a Booster Strap, and I think they'll be close. True 96mm last, but a bit soft for "140".

It's hard for me to type what I think about boots. I have essays worth
    Maybe you should look at the Daleboot ST.
    I'm 6'2" and at least 220(or more) and I ski in a 28 yr old 120 flex Salomon Equipe Race that I really don't need to buckle tight.
    If you really want to learn how to use your feet well, I would encourage you to start learning to telemark. You'll become a better alpiner.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    I ski in a 28 yr old 120 flex Salomon Equipe Race
    Say what?

Also if you have excessive ankle joint range of motion you will likely crush any boot unless you lower the heel inside the boot or put a shim under your forefoot inside the boot.

This is not recommended to do on your own, if you are wrong or do too much you can damage your achilles.

Find a boot fitter who can do fore aft stance alignment.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I do have more than average ankle mobility, and If I overflex my Hawx XTD's the heel cup will sort of fold onto my achilles. Is this what you mean? Is there something I can do about this?

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Say what?
    Yep. Love 'em. Ski great, fit like glove.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200115_120057.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	371500
    I spent 25 yrs telemarking

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Yep. Love 'em. Ski great, fit like glove.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200115_120057.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	371500

I spent 25 yrs telemarking
    Fit like a glove, look like a glove...