Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    The Global Skiing podcast with Tim Cafe discussed that. The program director where I coach had shared the link, and we both agreed that it sounded like a very interesting exercise that probably wasn't a great idea to try in the U.S. legal environment. If I wasn't too lazy to worry about getting my boots back together with the alignment correct, I'd give it a shot, but I'd also need to find time to take them apart, go skiing, and put them back together.
    I would think that skiing with them fully unbuckled would be similar enough, with no disassembly required. Throw 'em in walk mode if your boots have it too, for extra excitement.

The manual that comes with the Tecnica Mach 1 130 LV shows the boot set up with 2 screws, 1 screw (the lower) , or none. I can't comment on any other make or model. I've skied them with no screws and I can't come close to overflexing it.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The manual that comes with the Tecnica Mach 1 130 LV shows the boot set up with 2 screws, 1 screw (the lower) , or none. I can't comment on any other make or model. I've skied them with no screws and I can't come close to overflexing it.
    Would you be willing to post the relevant pages of the manual?

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210420_145430.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	372213

^^^ Thanks for that.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by AEV View Post
    How do you advanced/expert skiing big guys feel about being in the same 130 boots, so many 150-180lb good skiers are in? Read around here and Blister reviews or other sites, lots of smaller guys in the boots we're supposed to be working with.

I'm 6'2.5" 36" Jeans inseam, 34" bike inseam true measurement, 220lbs fairly low fat. I can't find boots stiff enough. I do actually like flex of the the Salomon 130 Carbon, it felt stiffer than my Firebird 140s, or Raptor 140s. It's too light, but the flex felt more like my ZBs. Good on Salomon. Plugs suck.
    simply put I am not in the same boots.

again I suck at skiing at want my equipment to help me as much as possible. I modified a KR2, got the alignment right and its flexes equivelent to a 170 boot now. I own DRS 170s as well as well as Mach 1 130(yuck more like a 100) and Scrapa Maestrales(actually like a 130 imo)

Plugs or modified plug style boots like the OLD kr2 pro are IMO what any actual expert should be skiing in bounds. When a boot flexxes it take you out of balance, not in to balance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210420_145430.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	372213
    The newer Mach 1 uses what they call a T-drive. The 130 is full carbon fiber, and you can use different T-drives for different flex values. I believe it was only on the MV this year, but next years will be LV should have it as well.

If it's this season, then disregard my comments.
    Training for Alpental

Plugs or modified plug style boots like the OLD kr2 pro are IMO what any actual expert should be skiing in bounds. When a boot flexxes it take you out of balance, not in to balance.
    What skis well inbounds in the east on manmade and what skis well inbounds in the west on natural are different animals. Sorry but that is a fact.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    What skis well inbounds in the east on manmade and what skis well inbounds in the west on natural are different animals. Sorry but that is a fact.
    objectively(IE actual reason) why would you want your boot to flex more on softer snow?

If anything in crud is where the stiffer boot comes into play more. In powder you can do for and aft movement with out your ankles...

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    objectively(IE actual reason) why would you want your boot to flex more on softer snow?

If anything in crud is where the stiffer boot comes into play more. In powder you can do for and aft movement with out your ankles...
    How’d you mod the krypton to be that stiff?

Well, keeping your fillings in your mouth on firm- ish but ungroomed stuff comes to mind. A less rigid system (ski/binding/boot) takes a lot of the jarring vibration out of the equation, whereas a race boot and slalom skis will make sure you know exactly what's going on under your feet.

I'd liken it to a race car suspension for a road course vs one for a rally car: the best ultimate performance on each situation requires a rather different setup.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    How’d you mod the krypton to be that stiff?
    two rear plugs, B tongues(had A but they cracked), epoxied carbon fiber slats I use to build RC race wing into the side of the boot.

Well, keeping your fillings in your mouth on firm- ish but ungroomed stuff comes to mind. A less rigid system (ski/binding/boot) takes a lot of the jarring vibration out of the equation, whereas a race boot and slalom skis will make sure you know exactly what's going on under your feet.

I'd liken it to a race car suspension for a road course vs one for a rally car: the best ultimate performance on each situation requires a rather different setup.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Have you ever drove a rally car?

I think skiing moguls/crud/trees is alot closer to skiing a firm groomer than a Gravel rally versus a Touring car.

I have owned both Road race and Rally X cars as well as driven former WRC cars. One thing to note is they still far stiffer than you average performance sedan and have very little body roll in Gravel setup and basically know in tarmac set up.

You are correct though they do have far more suspension travel(typically about 8-10 inches) versus a Touring car might 3-6 inches of travel but that travel is well dampen and not just loose and light.

I honestly think you have it wrong. A softer set up in uneven snow will let the COM move away from where it should be over the BOS at any given point. I ski a ton of weird off piste conditions and I think a stiffer boot comes into play even more so there than groomer over even a race course.

the master has resurfaced.
    swing your fucking sword.

Have you ever drove a rally car?

I think skiing moguls/crud/trees is alot closer to skiing a firm groomer than a Gravel rally versus a Touring car.

I have owned both Road race and Rally X cars as well as driven former WRC cars. One thing to note is they still far stiffer than you average performance sedan and have very little body roll in Gravel setup and basically know in tarmac set up.

You are correct though they do have far more suspension travel(typically about 8-10 inches) versus a Touring car might 3-6 inches of travel but that travel is well dampen and not just loose and light.

I honestly think you have it wrong. A softer set up in uneven snow will let the COM move away from where it should be over the BOS at any given point. I ski a ton of weird off piste conditions and I think a stiffer boot comes into play even more so there than groomer over even a race course.
    You've clearly got more car knowledge than I—I have gotten a shakedown ridealong in a rally car but that's the extent of my seat time, and I have to admit that I ended up more focused on my eyeballs getting sucked forward out of my head during braking than suspension feel. I used to hang with a lot of VW heads and have owned and ridden in stiff street cars, and the feeling of power transmission really reminds me of race boots on real slalom skis; for better or worse, that transmission also applies to bumps and cracks in the tarmac. I ended up in more of a two-wheeled motorsports rabbit hole for a bit, and I know the difference in how I want a bike set up for tarmac vs gravel / Jeep road vs full-on offroad, and I suppose that may have been a better point of comparison.

I'm far happier in my "130"-flex AT boots in 3D snow than my 130-flex race boots, and I don't think it's just a mechanics (height/delta/etc) difference between the setups. I don't think big balance goofs are the biggest difference—it's the transmission of smaller vibrations that's really tough with the race setup. I'd try A/B testing the boots and running the race boots in my all-mountain skis for a comparison, but it's too much of a PITA to adjust the bindings for the ISO soles.

You've clearly got more car knowledge than I—I have gotten a shakedown ridealong in a rally car but that's the extent of my seat time, and I have to admit that I ended up more focused on my eyeballs getting sucked forward out of my head during braking than suspension feel. I used to hang with a lot of VW heads and have owned and ridden in stiff street cars, and the feeling of power transmission really reminds me of race boots on real slalom skis; for better or worse, that transmission also applies to bumps and cracks in the tarmac. I ended up in more of a two-wheeled motorsports rabbit hole for a bit, and I know the difference in how I want a bike set up for tarmac vs gravel / Jeep road vs full-on offroad, and I suppose that may have been a better point of comparison.

I'm far happier in my "130"-flex AT boots in 3D snow than my 130-flex race boots, and I don't think it's just a mechanics (height/delta/etc) difference between the setups. I don't think big balance goofs are the biggest difference—it's the transmission of smaller vibrations that's really tough with the race setup. I'd try A/B testing the boots and running the race boots in my all-mountain skis for a comparison, but it's too much of a PITA to adjust the bindings for the ISO soles.
    Small vibrations....

Wow we could literally go down a rabbit hole here......

So the old KR2(not sure on new ones) have both a rubber and solid boot sole. The rubber boot sole is for sure more Damp than the solid sole.

Also I believe the liner/material come into play. My DRS are set up with a Zipfit. My Kr2 with an intuition. I believe that Intuition despite being lighter actually dampens more.

The small vibrations you talk off are literally why on a Rally X car you typically cotter pin many of the suspension pieces in places so the vibrations can not back the bolts off. Correct torque simply is not enough nor is blue loctite.

I think one thing that is missing in mechanical comparison is just how active the human body can be in the for and aft and up down planes. Where as a car in mostly reactive(except in high end accelerometer /GPS enabled magnetic dampens) humans(skiers) can be extremely proactive with their movements. There is a huge ROM available in knees/hips and spines. Where as any Car, or motorcycle(maybe not a dirt bike) is bound by how it will passively react to outside forces.

Quote Originally Posted by Sessiøn View Post
    The newer Mach 1 uses what they call a T-drive. The 130 is full carbon fiber, and you can use different T-drives for different flex values. I believe it was only on the MV this year, but next years will be LV should have it as well.

If it's this season, then disregard my comments.
    Thanks for that. My boots are 3 seasons old, I think.

simply put I am not in the same boots.

again I suck at skiing at want my equipment to help me as much as possible. I modified a KR2, got the alignment right and its flexes equivelent to a 170 boot now. I own DRS 170s as well as well as Mach 1 130(yuck more like a 100) and Scrapa Maestrales(actually like a 130 imo)

I fucked up big time, er well around $1000 worth on a new boot and custom liner. A few years ago, when it came time to invest in making the best pair I had perfect, I already blew my wad on multiple different shitty setups. Now I’m full on broke and stuck with what I got for a while, I need touring boots next.

I was working on both 27 and 28 ZBs simultaneously, trying to meet in the middle. I idiotically sold the 28s, and kept the 27s that have been worked on and still need so much work. The 28s in retrospect just needed a custom liner and minor work, idk what I was thinking. The 27s are a pipedream. Now I’d have to start that all over, with a leftover 28 ZB on sale somewhere, plus plus plus $$$

Right now my Firebird 140s are actually almost doing the trick. I get less movement in my ankle with them for some reason than stock 28ZBs, and less numb. Only my toes are going numb, instead of my whole foot. So that’s progress. But I still need a custom liner and to somehow make it a bit stiffer, it doesn’t have nearly the performance of a ZB.

Couldn’t find or didn’t want to search back for the AEV post someone quoted on this page.

I’m the same 220 pounds, but taller. Meaning more lever on the boot. I do know people 30% lighter and shorter that ski race plugs. Don’t think I’ll ever know what that’s like.

But I’ve seen tele skiers rip the shit out of anything. Technique makes up for equipment.

And the last AEV post mentioning numbness. Fuck that. I don’t want to be the guy buckling and unbuckling each run. Fugggh

But in general, a properly fitted stiff boot is like a tight pussy. You feel everything.
    . . .

Damn near sig worthy, well done.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Couldn’t find or didn’t want to search back for the AEV post someone quoted on this page.

I’m the same 220 pounds, but taller. Meaning more lever on the boot. I do know people 30% lighter and shorter that ski race plugs. Don’t think I’ll ever know what that’s like.

But I’ve seen tele skiers rip the shit out of anything. Technique makes up for equipment.

And the last AEV post mentioning numbness. Fuck that. I don’t want to be the guy buckling and unbuckling each run. Fugggh

But in general, a properly fitted stiff boot is like a tight pussy. You feel everything.

tele skiing and alpine are not really comparable and the fastest Tele skier would be seconds slower than an alpine skier in a race course.

It hard to objectively measure ideas such as "ripping" or control, or aggression outside of a gated course, but yes subjective tele skier can rip stuff, and I am sure some people in some ill fitted, too soft boot can rip shit to. but being in an ideal set up for the Alpine skiers is vastly different from having a workable set up.

on the un buckling or or buckling up every run. Unless you run compression socks, you foot shrinks though out the day. So if you start with a comfortable enough boot early in the day it will be too loose later in the day as the blood leaves the foot. If it tight enough for later you will probably have pins and needles for a couple runs....

Personally I want ZERO movement between my Boot and my foot, and I ski noticeable worse with out that although skiing mellow turns on smooth snow I can for sure get away with a slightly looser fit than say skiing crud or variable moguls. it one thing to have your input though the boot instantly, but the real reason why I like tight boot is the feedback from the snow surfaces about what is happening, with out that feedback the brains/bodys micro managing balance and pressure control moves is delayed literally hundredths of a seconds matters on this micro managing.

tele skiing and alpine are not really comparable and the fastest Tele skier would be seconds slower than an alpine skier in a race course.

It hard to objectively measure ideas such as "ripping" or control, or aggression outside of a gated course, but yes subjective tele skier can rip stuff, and I am sure some people in some ill fitted, too soft boot can rip shit to. but being in an ideal set up for the Alpine skiers is vastly different from having a workable set up.

on the un buckling or or buckling up every run. Unless you run compression socks, you foot shrinks though out the day. So if you start with a comfortable enough boot early in the day it will be too loose later in the day as the blood leaves the foot. If it tight enough for later you will probably have pins and needles for a couple runs....

Personally I want ZERO movement between my Boot and my foot, and I ski noticeable worse with out that although skiing mellow turns on smooth snow I can for sure get away with a slightly looser fit than say skiing crud or variable moguls. it one thing to have your input though the boot instantly, but the real reason why I like tight boot is the feedback from the snow surfaces about what is happening, with out that feedback the brains/bodys micro managing balance and pressure control moves is delayed literally hundredths of a seconds matters on this micro managing.
    Your feet swell during the day genius. It’s the liner warming and getting softer that can give you that loose feeling. It doesn’t really happen in colder weather.

Where do you come up with some of this shit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^^Agreed.
    On all accounts
    Also, tele'ing without a doubt, made me a better alpiner.

Like magnificent said--your foot swells during the day (which is why you should be fitted first thing in the morning). In addition to the boot softening in warmer weather as the day goes on, the compression of the boot will shrink your foot some--I boot up in the parking lot and the boot feels just right by the time I get to the lodge.

In warm weather I sometimes have to tighten my boots a little later in the day. Doesn't everyone? At least everyone in California.
    If you have to unbuckle each run it's probably because your boots don't fit right and you're having to overbuckle to compensate.

... If you have to unbuckle each run it's probably because your boots don't fit right and you're having to overbuckle to compensate.
    Agreed for someone that is in too big of a boot, but the need to unbuckle itself is not a true gauge of a good fit. Have you ever watched a WC race and seen a racer that didn't unbuckle immediately? If anyone has a good fit it's them, yet they all still unbuckle.

Since moving from foam to zipfits I unbuckle more out of habit than need, but it also just looks so cool to ski around with your buckles flipped up ...
    Who cares how the crow flies