Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    how about dvelopment cost
    development cost should cover the entire collection, not just the high end. I know it does not work that way, but if you look at from a nuts and bolts prospective, be cheaper to buy a 110 and throw a few more rivets in. Wont ski the same, but you will more beer money.

I bet Mikaela also uses different (softer?) boots for Super G than she does for slalom.

So there is no one 'accurate stiffness' - it depends on the terrain, ski, speed etc.

Although I remember seeing a pic of Hirschers 170(?) redster being CAST-ified. Would'nt wanna ski that in pow but what do I know. maybe he likes fitness laps on groomers these days

After hearing the rumblings coming from stowes greatest i gotta ask is there anyone out there recognising styles techniques outside of pisa? I've never bent a ski or finished a turn in my life. All I do is mimic a lot of upright free riders who seem to do just fine on the fwt. I'm pretty sure it came from skiing in the Rockies imitating hoji where if you commit to a turn and catch a shark you gonna die. Fast and loose is smooth to me. Not agro hip dragging fighting the terrain. Then again maybe my turning radius is to long or sumthin

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'm 6' 180. I'm not strong. I don't ski fast. I have no trouble flexing a 130 boot because my leg is really, really long for my height--so long lever arm means I can apply enough force to flex the boot. (OTOH it really sucks doing squats.)
    Imagine your 6’4” and handsome...it’s why can only ski a Redster170.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by phallic-menace View Post
    After hearing the rumblings coming from stowes greatest i gotta ask is there anyone out there recognising styles techniques outside of pisa? I've never bent a ski or finished a turn in my life. All I do is mimic a lot of upright free riders who seem to do just fine on the fwt. I'm pretty sure it came from skiing in the Rockies imitating hoji where if you commit to a turn and catch a shark you gonna die. Fast and loose is smooth to me. Not agro hip dragging fighting the terrain. Then again maybe my turning radius is to long or sumthin
    The only "style" is what works in the realm of physics.

I usually go against the PSIA when I feel they are wrong despite being an employee of them.

Hoji isnt that upright, he ski with his shoulder quite forward while turning and quite frankly is one of the best if not the best technique of any of the big mountain pro. There is nothing he does that would upset any PSIA type plus its great, dynamic skiing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QPCWNSwadk&t=2s

It should be noted Hoji skis is 130 flex boot and weight like nothing....there for showing how solid technique/alignment can let you skis a stiff boot.

Off course how someone skis a groomer is going to look way different than skiing off piste whether its the east or west. Still not sure what fighting terrain means. Do you have video example of someone fighting terrain?

I mean there are dozens of video of me skiing....

https://youtu.be/NInU2kXYu5c?t=65

am I fighting terrain?

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    I bet Mikaela also uses different (softer?) boots for Super G than she does for slalom.

So there is no one 'accurate stiffness' - it depends on the terrain, ski, speed etc.

Although I remember seeing a pic of Hirschers 170(?) redster being CAST-ified. Would'nt wanna ski that in pow but what do I know. maybe he likes fitness laps on groomers these days
    most speed event boots are softer than tech event with SL being the stiffest.

Sometimes even the Alignment changes....

With that said the majority of eastern skiing is closest to SL if you are skiing off piste, out west you argue GS or SG depending on how open your terrain is but the difference is crud and 3d terrain .

90% of people buy boots that are too stiff

Quote Originally Posted by phallic-menace View Post
    Video please.

Y'all need to just buy the same boots Mikaela wears and stfu.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Which ones - SL or SG?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    most speed event boots are softer than tech event with SL being the stiffest.

Sometimes even the Alignment changes....

With that said the majority of eastern skiing is closest to SL if you are skiing off piste, out west you argue GS or SG depending on how open your terrain is but the difference is crud and 3d terrain .
    Stand by for the most gapic post ever, but:

Fwiw: in western resort skiing, and when I was younger and aspiring to be in the comp and media scene, I always tried to mix two styles: mogul-based technique where that works best and SG/DH type racing-based technique where that works best. So stacked-position and tight stance for absorption 3D and short radius stuff, and open stance loose and driving for faster stuff. Because you always had race guys like Seth Morrison and Scot Schmidt and mogul guys like McConkey and Plake...I wanted to be able to seamlessly shift from one style to the other and back. I have run Raichles since I was 15, with a few tough seasons of searching after Raichle and before full tilt. Technica race boots were too stiff (and I shattered two shells) and daleboots were too soft...Raichle/Fulltilt 10 or 12 tongues are just right.

Full disclosure though, all that was ages ago and now I ski like a fat guy trying to stay on his feet.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Which ones - SL or SG?
    yes this is problematic seeing that they are both red.

I'll skied with Ill advised strategy a few times and thought you did have that blend of technique ripping around Solitude what was that 11/12 years ago?!

I thought about this and figured I'd try to see if I liked the softer flex. I stepped down from my (always orange) Tecnica 130s to try a Fischer Ranger 120 and wasn't really a fan. Could ski them fine, but went back to the tecnica's and felt much more comfortable, especially going fast through bumpy stuff. I'm 160lbs and have pretty long legs/shins whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Y'all need to just buy the same boots Mikaela wears and stfu.
    This is definitely what everyone needs to do. She has about 15 boots in her quiver, so this would really help us hit our numbers.

Couple thoughts:

- In my mind, "too stiff" means I can't flex the boot. Maybe other people like softer boots -- that's fine for them but I'm not a fan of hitting the end of my ankle ROM. I ski Lange plugs inbounds (ZBs) and Vulcans touring. I weight about 160#. I've definitely felt like both were too soft at times, but mostly they both ski great.

- The only boots I've skied in recent memory that were too stiff for me were both "crossover touring" boots. Something about the way they fit or something made them not really flex for me. YMMV, but I think anatomy plays a much better role than people sometimes think.

- I used to love Full Tilts with #10 tongue and then the Dalbello KR2. The problem (which has been discussed here at length) is that the flex pattern of 3 piece boots isn't progressive, it's linear . Terminology aside, the point is the flex does not ramp up in a 3 piece boot like it does in an overlap. I got tired of over-flexing the FT #10 tongue and basically spraining my ankle going fast in choppy terrain.

The best skiing solution I've found (thanks to LVS for the idea) is to run Lange plugs (which have a lot of rebound) with an expert booster tight on the liner (under the shell) and then the stock power strap over the shell but not super tight. The booster provides a nice elastic rebound and keeps things snug to your shin, while the power strap helps avoid blowing through the full flex of the boot. As always, YMMV.

Oh, and I typically ski forward-mounted ON3Ps and avoid groomers whenever possible. I also sometimes ski down in walk mode when I'm skinning for fitness, just as a fun balance exercise to ensure I'm not relying too much on the boot stiffness. Just cuz you like stiff boots doesn't mean they're a crutch and just because you can ski soft boots doesn't mean they ski better.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    no one is here advocating for a boot that does nt fit right....

Tele skiing is irrelevant to alpine discussion because the platform(lead change) gets bigger when you need stability. My NTN Tele boots feel like maybe a 100 flex alpine boot are WAY softer than my AT or Alpine boots.
    Nobody care that you tele!

FIFY:
    Nobody cares what you say.

Quote Originally Posted by YoEddy View Post
    Wow, I thought 98% seemed like a high percentage but then did a little math and see that you may be spot on. Just as an example Vail daily capacity is ~55k x 2% = 1100 ripping skiers spread across ~2800 acres of advanced terrain. The other 53,900 people that can't ski for shit are spread across all of the 5200 acres, and 90% or 48,510 of them are in boots that are too fucking stiff. Do I have that right?
    If you think Vail Mountain can handle 55,000 visits in one day, your smoking crack! The daily max is less than HALF of that, more like 38% of that number.

More please. Name:  tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif
Views: 2113
Size:  484.1 KB

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    This is definitely what everyone needs to do. She has about 15 boots in her quiver, so this would really help us hit our numbers.
    /thread
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7601.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	364623

Name:	IMG_1067.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	612.2 KB 
ID:	364622

Name:	IMG_7603.jpg 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	364624

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post

Name:	IMG_7601.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	364623

Name:	IMG_1067.jpg 
Size:	612.2 KB 
ID:	364622

Name:	IMG_7603.jpg 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	364624
    How much you think she could sell those liners for to some of those foot fetish people? I mean I’ve heard of normal chicks getting $50 for socks from a old dude here in town.... her liners could be worth a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    How much you think she could sell those liners for to some of those foot fetish people? I mean I’ve heard of normal chicks getting $50 for socks from a old dude here in town.... her liners could be worth a shit ton.
    Just saying.... Wikifeet Mikaela... fap fap fap

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    (g) the pigment (color) of plastic actually does change stiffness at different temps
    So you're saying we actually DO want the red ones? But seriously, I had no idea. Can you elaborate?

A few years back I went down to a 120 flex thinking they would be a little more forgiving on drops and for touring. Once I broke them in I came to realize that wasn't true at all and they were making me work harder, and eventually felt a bit sloppy. Went back to 130 and the difference in being able to ski more with my skeleton than my muscles was noticeable immediately. It was also a reminder that as much as breaking in new boots sucks, I probably need to do it more often. It's just hard to do once they feel dialed in and comfortable.

Having 15 boots fitted every season sounds exhausting. I'm too out of shape to attempt that.

90% of people buy boots that are too stiff

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
    Just saying.... Wikifeet Mikaela... fap fap fap
    Fuck. The internet never ceases to amaze.

Buying her used boots could be a good retirement investment.

90% of skiers have never flexed their boots and rearward support is more important than anything. But who cares, ignorance is bliss. 90% of skiers just want something warm and comfortable, that’s it.