Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Friend, one of the best skiers on the hill, doesn’t even buckle his lower buckles on one boot cuz they’re broken. For him, his fit is so dialed, he doesn’t mess with them and doesn’t feel the need.
    Wait...you guys buckle them? I thought those things were like for looks? Buncha amateurs.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Friend, one of the best skiers on the hill, doesn’t even buckle his lower buckles on one boot cuz they’re broken. For him, his fit is so dialed, he doesn’t mess with them and doesn’t feel the need.
    Complete bullshit until you/him posts a video of him skiing and a certain someone can evaluate!

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    You realize this is bullshit and based on no scientific studies? Boots are colored for branding purposes, so they can sell you the same shell next year for full price with a new colorway. Hirscher was probably wearing stiffer socks one day.

100% not compete bullshit.. and most manufacturers have plenty of data to back it up

I'm 150 lbs and an advanced (not expert by any means) skier. I'm still learning to keep my boots flexed (Lange 140 Xt3) and it's a battle in the trees, bumps super steep stuff. But I think it's just a skill thing, because when I adjust I can flex them.. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    You realize this is bullshit and based on no scientific studies? Boots are colored for branding purposes, so they can sell you the same shell next year for full price with a new colorway. Hirscher was probably wearing stiffer socks one day.
    If you had the same boot, injected in the exact same plastic, but the left one was black and the right one was red/white/yellow/whatever, and you left them sitting in the sun, which boot do you think would get softer, quicker?

That test aside, color affects the feel of the boot, but only to certain degree and 99.99% of the general skiing population don't feel it. There are racers who say they can totally feel the difference between certain colors and their test times show it (even when boots are lacquered and they can't see it).

What also affects the feel of the boot is the percentage of color added to the plastic mixture and I would say this is more tangible than which color is being tested. A normal amount of color (called master badge) is around 2-3%. If I reduce that down to 0.5% or up to 6%, this certainly causes the plastic to behave differently.

There's a reason our race boots don't change color year to year and have remained constant for at about 10 years now. Yes, Atomic's brand color is red, but we don't change the shade of it. The athletes like where it currently is and changing it is a huge ordeal.

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    Pretty sure we all "mostly try to ski powder" and I'm also pretty sure that we all mostly DON'T ski powder. .
    Speak for yourself.

Edit: to jump onto the radness of the last posts. I can definitely feel the color of my boots. I wear comfortable colors only.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i skis with my boots in walk mode sometimes
    and still slays it
    but im a 10%er
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Simpleton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    People who use simpleton as an insult belong in the asshole thread in PR.
    Need a link? I'll see ya in there.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    and still slays it
    but im a 10%er
    The weed thread is one thread further.

Just to give your dick waving a direction.
    And after this thread I can picture timber ridge in his chateau conversing with the mundane and telling his world economic forum friends about the needs of the average Joe in the evening.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

I regularly clap my 130's.

^^ fuck yeah brah

Quote Originally Posted by AZskibum View Post
    I'm 150 lbs and an advanced (not expert by any means) skier. I'm still learning to keep my boots flexed (Lange 140 Xt3) and it's a battle in the trees, bumps super steep stuff. But I think it's just a skill thing, because when I adjust I can flex them.. I think.
    And no offence AZ, but you may be in that 90% the OP was talking about. How did your 150lb, advanced but not expert self end up in a 140? Based on your advice, and of course there are other factors, but it reads like your boots are not doing you any favors.

Could be a limited ankle dorsiflexion thing.
    A heel lift might be your friend

What she said,"more tongue!"

Based off this thread I'm buying these, and anyone that doesn't ski these is a PU$$Y:

https://shop.atomic.com/en/products/...ae0001487.html

But really though, almost all flex indexes are pure bullshit. I had a pair of Lange RS 130 LVs that I pulled both rear-cuff screws out of to soften them when they were brand new, then put one screw back in, then both screws back in as they softened. Meanwhile, my next pair was RX 130 LVs that needed no such treatment. They were both 130s? Nah brah. But really though, get the 170 flex Atomics and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Like a Boss View Post
    Based off this thread I'm buying these, and anyone that doesn't ski these is a PU$$Y:

https://shop.atomic.com/en/products/...ae0001487.html

But really though, almost all flex indexes are pure bullshit. I had a pair of Lange RS 130 LVs that I pulled both rear-cuff screws out of to soften them when they were brand new, then put one screw back in, then both screws back in as they softened. Meanwhile, my next pair was RX 130 LVs that needed no such treatment. They were both 130s? Nah brah. But really though, get the 170 flex Atomics and you'll be fine.
    That’s because of the flex engagement range. RS engages faster so it feels stiffer then the rx. Also your liner is very different between those two boots stock and the liner tongue and lace up makes the rs act stiffer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    That’s because of the flex engagement range. RS engages faster so it feels stiffer then the rx. Also your liner is very different between those two boots stock and the liner tongue and lace up makes the rs act stiffer as well.
    they are also made of different plastic (RX is a PE lower, the RS is a PU lower).

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    they are also made of different plastic (RX is a PE lower, the RS is a PU lower).
    I really wish Lange would stop abbreviating their plastics this way. It doesn't make things more clear, it just muddies the waters and adds to the amount of confusion in ski boots.

Polyurethane is a general group of plastics that is abbreviated PU.

PUs are available as Polyurethane-ether (also referred to as polyether), which is the super good stuff; or Polyurethane-ester (also referred to polyester), which is pretty good stuff. Both can easily and confusingly be abbreviated as PE. There is further confusion since low-end Polyethylene (shitty plastic) is also abbreviated as PE.

And when Lange refers to an RS shell as PE, I can safely assume it is not polyethylene but I don't know if they mean ether or ester material. And then what does that mean for what they call "PU"?

If a brand is going to distinguish between the different PUs, the best way would be as PU-ether or PU-ester.

Sorry for the rant. Maybe I should just shoot Thor a text haha

Stiff boots give you an On/Off touch when you are weighting the front of your skis. Instant response but almost no feel. A good 3-piece Cabrio shell like a Full Tilt or Dalbello with initially soft and then progressively stiffer flex as you lean into it gives you a much more nuanced feel of the ski and snow but feels sloppy to someone coming off a stiff boot. It is an acquired taste. I liked the way I could hang on the front of my old Flexons and then Kryptons and the flex would act as a shock absorber in funky snow. Some people like point and shoot stiffness to attack the slope while others prefer a soft touch for making love to the mountain. Dealer's choice.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    Sorry for the rant. Maybe I should just shoot Thor a text haha
    Make sure you tell him "Red is always faster"

If a brand is going to distinguish between the different PUs, the best way would be as PU-ether or PU-ester.
    Pretty sure Thor and other product managers would agree, it's the marketing and copywriting people who are clueless. First get them to stop calling Titanal "Titanium."

Quote Originally Posted by AZskibum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimFlamvanHam View Post
    ^^ fuck yeah brah

And no offence AZ, but you may be in that 90% the OP was talking about. How did your 150lb, advanced but not expert self end up in a 140? Based on your advice, and of course there are other factors, but it reads like your boots are not doing you any favors.
    Yup. AZ, your boots are too stiff. You should probably be in a Lange 120 flex, it would suit you better. I wouldn't guess that you'll ever need more than a 130. When trying to load a stiff boot, the boot will resist and put you back more than any advantage you're gaining with a really stiff boot. That's why you're battling those conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    Stiff boots give you an On/Off touch when you are weighting the front of your skis. Instant response but almost no feel. A good 3-piece Cabrio shell like a Full Tilt or Dalbello with initially soft and then progressively stiffer flex as you lean into it gives you a much more nuanced feel of the ski and snow but feels sloppy to someone coming off a stiff boot. It is an acquired taste. I liked the way I could hang on the front of my old Flexons and then Kryptons and the flex would act as a shock absorber in funky snow. Some people like point and shoot stiffness to attack the slope while others prefer a soft touch for making love to the mountain. Dealer's choice.
    I was a Krypton guy for awhile. Went through a couple pairs. They were a 130 flex I believe but I never liked the way they skied with the stiff tongue. I would always dumb them down by using the softer flex one. Fast forward a few years. Moved away from Dalbello and back into Lange's. Yeah I got the blue ones! I am day two into my second pair of Lange RS 130W. I absolutely love that boot. I have an easy foot to fit I guess. Never had to do any modes. Put in a different mid-sole, replace with a real booster strap good to go.

Those red Atomic 170's look pretty bad ass. I can't imagine what those must feel like especially on a cold day..I am not worthy!

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Pretty sure Thor and other product managers would agree, it's the marketing and copywriting people who are clueless. First get them to stop calling Titanal "Titanium."
    This gets me too, I think it's a hang-up coming from the German to English.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    This gets me too, I think it's a hang-up coming from the German to English.
    No, it's not a language thing, it's a metallurgy thing. Titanal is a high strength aluminum alloy with zinc, magnesium, and copper. It's a product of AMAG Austria Metall AG. It's their marketing people who deceivingly tagged it Titanal thereby confusing it with titanium. There is no titanium in Titanal and any ski marketing group who calls is titanium is wrongly misleading the buyer.

Tit-anal

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear