Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    her job is skiing at the highest level, she is spancered, at her pay grade its all free gear and she has techs to take care of it all/ do development shit ect
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    her job is skiing at the highest level, she is spancered, at her pay grade its all free gear and she has techs to take care of it all/ do development shit ect
    I just realized you might be the only guy here who could fit into those.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    So you're saying we actually DO want the red ones? But seriously, I had no idea. Can you elaborate?

A few years back I went down to a 120 flex thinking they would be a little more forgiving on drops and for touring. Once I broke them in I came to realize that wasn't true at all and they were making me work harder, and eventually felt a bit sloppy. Went back to 130 and the difference in being able to ski more with my skeleton than my muscles was noticeable immediately. It was also a reminder that as much as breaking in new boots sucks, I probably need to do it more often. It's just hard to do once they feel dialed in and comfortable.
    I'm not going to read this whole thread. Just shy of 6'2" and always a struggle to keep my weight down to just over 200 lbs. 120 Cochise's were useless to me until I stiffened them with the Pro Tongue intuition liner. I am not a pro, or a world cup racer, or even that good by TRG standards.

I'll bite and add my 2 cents to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    nothing is better than the right boots. And nothing is worse than the wrong boots.
    Couldn't agree more. Figuring it out can be a big can of worms.

Being in a boot you can't flex sucks. There's debate on whether that's a cause of forward lean vs. too stuff of a flex. Anatomy plays a pretty big role here.

The jury also seems to be out on ski technique regarding the use of a boot's flex. Can you ski a 100 flex boot and ski your nerd skis down a 50 degree couloir? Ya, you certainly can. Compare that to getting on a double titanal laminated ski with a 130+ flex boot and they both can navigate the same couloir. Just depends on how you want to get down it...

Claiming that there's a singular 'right' and a 'wrong' way to do it regarding your boot choice is a pretty gross overgeneralization. It discounts a lot of relativity when it comes to the skier. It also discounts some pretty large advancements in ski technology as well as specifics when it comes to ski shape and construction.

There's still a possibility of being in the 'wrong' boot flex as it relates to the specifics of a skier, but that's 90% up to the skier. Ironing it out requires a good amount of introspection and criticism of your own technique.

Im always amazed at how loose some of the ski teams kids boots are. They have feet 2 sizes smaller than my kids and a boot size bigger. One kid actually seriously sprained her ankle. How the fuck do you do that in a boot that fits? I’d say size more than stiffness (what she said)

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Im always amazed at how loose some of the ski teams kids boots are. They have feet 2 sizes smaller than my kids and a boot size bigger. One kid actually seriously sprained her ankle. How the fuck do you do that in a boot that fits? I’d say size more than stiffness (what she said)

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    My daughter went from 60's to the kids Technica 70's this year and it has made her back seat worse than ever. Coach actually recommended leaving the top buckles a bit loose to help her get back in to the groove. SO frustrating. Signed...a ski dad that cares too much.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    My daughter went from 60's to the kids Technica 70's this year and it has made her back seat worse than ever. Coach actually recommended leaving the top buckles a bit loose to help her get back in to the groove. SO frustrating. Signed...a ski dad that cares too much.
    Did she change skis as well? Or just boot flex?

That’s honestly the most important. Our dumbasses all know what we are doing wrong. We know when boots don’t fit right, or when they are too stiff or too soft. Lots of that is ego.

But that is probably the biggest take away that we can all have. Get your kids in the right boots. Not to stiff. Not too soft. But listen to them. And they will be able to better navigate how their boots fit going forward, instead of turning to a bunch of us morons that will just tell them the red ones (black ones are always stiffer and will be, Doberman) or the stiffest.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    The best skiing solution I've found (thanks to LVS for the idea) is to run Lange plugs (which have a lot of rebound) with an expert booster tight on the liner (under the shell) and then the stock power strap over the shell but not super tight. The booster provides a nice elastic rebound and keeps things snug to your shin, while the power strap helps avoid blowing through the full flex of the boot.
    That's an interesting idea. I was just getting ready to drill out the rivets and remove my stock straps and replace them with boosters, but I think I'll try the dual strap technique first and see if I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Did she change skis as well? Or just boot flex?

That’s honestly the most important. Our dumbasses all know what we are doing wrong. We know when boots don’t fit right, or when they are too stiff or too soft. Lots of that is ego.

But that is probably the biggest take away that we can all have. Get your kids in the right boots. Not to stiff. Not too soft. But listen to them. And they will be able to better navigate how their boots fit going forward, instead of turning to a bunch of us morons that will just tell them the red ones (black ones are always stiffer and will be, Doberman) or the stiffest.
    She kept the same skis. Really, it is just her skiing I think, super obvious looking at vid and stills. She insists on tightening the things super flippin tight. Just like I do with my boots.

We are working on listening to each other. She is 10. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I just realized you might be the only guy here who could fit into those.
    I take a 24 so might be too big, Ii do fine in a 110 dalbello surge for alpine or the Vulcan

I think the whole stiffness rating thing may be all over the map and then there are differnt qualities of that stiffness

some people don't like the on/off of the vulcan but it fits/ drives any ski so I'm happy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'm not going to read this whole thread. Just shy of 6'2" and always a struggle to keep my weight down to just over 200 lbs. 120 Cochise's were useless to me until I stiffened them with the Pro Tongue intuition liner. I am not a pro, or a world cup racer, or even that good by TRG standards.
    Funny you say that. Cochise 120's are the exact boot I went down to. The Cochise 130's are significantly stiffer.

I’m just waiting for the mountain bike industry to get in on ski boots. I want air chambers, hydraulics, and rebound settings in mine. Plus, I don’t think ski boots cost enough.

Checking in, dickwaving goes in this thread right?

what was the alignment of both of the boots? did she change binding from year to year and if she changed binding from what binding to what binding was it?

Same bindings. Canting is stock. Adjusting canting is beyond my technical area of expertise and we are talking about a U12 racer. I'm all ears though.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Samski360 View Post
    I’m just waiting for the mountain bike industry to get in on ski boots. I want air chambers, hydraulics, and rebound settings in mine. Plus, I don’t think ski boots cost enough.
    yes! "standards"
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Checking in, dickwaving goes in this thread right?
    You also pick your boots for each foot depending on which side you dress for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    You also pick your boots for each foot depending on which side you dress for the day?
    140 flex on the dressing side, 130 flex on the free leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    140 flex on the dressing side, 130 flex on the free leg.
    This, corrects for the mass imbalance.

I always ask for dressing on the side, hate when they slather it on
    crab in my shoe mouth

I'm all ears though.
    Oh for the love of god. Please don't encourage him.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

But...but..what if dolphin turns heel her? Stiff pun intended.

Same bindings. Canting is stock. Adjusting canting is beyond my technical area of expertise and we are talking about a U12 racer. I'm all ears though.

Canting is not for and aft its lateral IE if someone is under or over edged.

Ramping is for and aft.

If I had to guess the Tecnica are too upright in either ramp or forward lean compared the old boot and shimming the heel of the binding between the binding and the ski will fix it. probably 2mm again this is guess, if it was my student I would test with a video of the skier and then put a 2mm shim between the heel of the boot and binding. Ski on easish terrain just to test because this can affect the binding release.

Note - an internal heel lift is not the same thing , yes it will raise the heel up but it will also open up the ankle. Internal heel lift should only be used for limited dorsiflexion and generally the binding/boot system should be adjusted(typically lifting toes) to keep the lower leg coming out of the boot at the current angle.

If you are sincerely want help send me a PM. Short BSL are more affect by ramp than longer BSL. If you have video of the skier it will make it more clear to me what is going on. Also how is the shell fit?

I dont see you trying to help him.......

Do you know how boot alignment works?

Wow, this forum gets a lot of replies. I wasn't trolling just sharing my experience.

Another thing common boot fitting wisdom gets wrong IMO is: your toes should brush up against the front of the boot when standing straight up and pull away when flexing forward. Granted this is just a guideline, it's really the rest of the fit that matters, but fuck that. If your toes brush against the front of the boot then when you land a big air with your weight to the rear at all you'll smash your toes against the front of the boot. On my new boots that fit me excellent for an all day fit (not sized down, which I would only want for racing) my toes don't touch AT ALL. Of course you'll need to find a boot that fits the rest of your foot correctly and still has that much room in the toe box which may not be possible. But I'm really happy my new boots fit that way. They were the only ones I tried on that did.