First world problems - dropper disconnect

I am amazed at how ridiculous this problem sounds when I actually state it out loud. That said. . . here goes.

My youngest is 4 and is great on his strider. On family rides I want to get him in the habit of pedaling on his tag along so it will transition well to his own pedal bike. This has worked well with his older siblings. We are heading on a trip in March for 2 weeks that will have a good mix of solo pedaling (me) and family pedaling. When I'm pedaling solo I'll want my dropper post (obviously) but the tag along adapter doesn't play well with the dropper and I have another seatpost/saddle with the adapter installed. In order to swap to the non-dropper I need to disconnect my dropper remote, pull the housing slack through the stealth routing, pull the seatpost up and disconnect. The most annoying part is disconnecting/reconnecting the dropper remote.

Is there a cable quick disconnect that would allow me to leave the remote where it is on the bars? I found these Ritchey quick disconnects but to work they require a section of cable that isn't inside a housing. Here are a few links. I'd welcome any out of the box ideas. Frame is hightower and there is housing (routed stealth) from the remote all the way to the bottom of the seatpost.

Quick disconnect

Disconnect in use

Seth

You could mount an externally routed dropper post for the trip, which would let you swap to a rigid post when you needed it.

I have a breakaway bike that uses Ritchey type quick disconnects, and yes, they are for bare external cables.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The Ritchie disconnect will not work, it needs tension between two cable housing stops.
    What dropper/remote do you have? Does your dropper remote clamp the cable at remote? Or does your cable clamp at the dropper post?

A Reverb AXS would be the easiest solution here, but obviously not a cheap one.

If it were me I'd probably just run a rigid post and a QR for the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    A Reverb AXS would be the easiest solution here, but obviously not a cheap one.

If it were me I'd probably just run a rigid post and a QR for the trip.
    Only idea I could muster was the AXS as well, which, if you bought one, would certainly elevate this from first world problem, to... whatever represents 1%er problems.

When this started with first world problems I was convinced that it was getting a dropper for the 4 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    You could mount an externally routed dropper post for the trip, which would let you swap to a rigid post when you needed it.
    This is an interesting idea. Maybe I'll see if I can scrounge one up. Only one I have is on the wife's bike and she's going to want to use it for said trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    What dropper/remote do you have? Does your dropper remote clamp the cable at remote? Or does your cable clamp at the dropper post?
    KS Lev Ci? Clamps at the post with that little barrel cable stop.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    When this started with first world problems I was convinced that it was getting a dropper for the 4 year old.
    The beauty of this idea is that I could just leave the tag along attached the whole time. When solo, I would just sit on the rear seat with dropper. :-)

First world problems - dropper disconnect

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    KS Lev Ci? Clamps at the post with that little barrel cable stop.
    That sucks. Because if it was lever clamping, I would have suggested just leaving the full length cable coiled by the lever and just un-pinching it at the lever for the slack you needed, disconnect your post, and tighten up the cable to take up the slack.
    I hate the models where the cable clamps at the post.

This is a good idea, actually. Maybe the solution is simply to replace the remote with the clamp at the remote...

Anybody have a recommendation for a good remote that clamps at the remote?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Wolftooth and the new race face are working well for me with a Lev Ci.
    Makes it SO much easier to install/take up cable stretch slack.
    It is the way.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Why through the parts bin because I remembered I had this. It's the OneUp v1 remote. But I have no idea what kind of SRAM mount will make it work with my bar.

The web suggests that this works with SRAM mounts. Is there a standalone SRAM mount that this works with?

Can you just attach the tagalong bike to the lower, stationary part of the seatpost? It's not like you're clamping it any tighter than your seat collar is.

You could raise the post just enough to clear it, then it'll probably be too high so drop it just the right amount and don't touch it. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Why through the parts bin because I remembered I had this. It's the OneUp v1 remote. But I have no idea what kind of SRAM mount will make it work with my bar.

The web suggests that this works with SRAM mounts. Is there a standalone SRAM mount that this works with?

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/db-acc-mmx-a1

Just the clamp - https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...EaAjUAEALw_wcB

SRAM brakes use the matchmaker clamp, too.

That all seems like a lot of work. No way to just get the tag along adaptor to work on the dropper?

can't you just get rid of the kid?

Quote Originally Posted by donetlynx View Post

That silver square goes inside (and against the bar) the open cutout on the above clamp.
    Also if you have sram brakes, that clamp can replace the brake clamp.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    That all seems like a lot of work. No way to just get the tag along adaptor to work on the dropper?

Also one of these sleeves also would work on your dropper. The stanchion on most droppers is either 25mm or 26mm (I cant remember the Lev's dimensions). These sleeves work well, as long as its clamped closer to the collar, and not all the way at the top of the stanchion near the saddle.
    These were from Adams Trail-A-Bike
    Name:  A155FD1C-D953-4B45-9C11-2CDB66BFB0D3.jpeg
Views: 720
Size:  17.9 KB

I think the real solution here is N+1.

Bring another bike for kid towing duties.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

This is the way.

Maybe I’m old fashioned but if the kid can’t keep up, drop him. He’ll figure out how to keep up with the pack or drop out of the ride and snag a juice box.

First world solution for first world problem. I see what you did there.

They Magura Vyron is another interesting option that seems to be more reasonably priced (prices down to $300 in some places). Definitely more expensive.

I'm also out of bike racks and needing to add some of those just to get the 6 existing bikes and tag along on the trip.

Seth