Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bonedale
    Posts
    5,274

    26.5 XT3 140 -- Free to *GOOD* Home

    TL;DR: I have a pair of 26/26.5 Lange XT3 140s (basically new but punched a lot) that I'd like to give to a kid who loves skiing but can't afford new boots.

    The good: The shells have been skied literally a couple runs, the liners are brand new. They walk like a touring boot and ski like an alpine boot. Best crossover boot I've tried, and I've tried lots.
    The bad: The shells have been punched extensively, mostly for width. Also, one of the stupid foam boot boards broke, and it needs to be replaced to ski them.
    (I'll spare you the boot-fitting saga, but they're just not wide enough to fit my stupid tailor's bunion and Morton's neuroma.) But hey, at least, they're free.

    I'd like to give them to a kid in high school who skis super hard, loves skiing, skis as much as possible, etc, but who isn't spancered & can't afford new boots. If you fit that description or know someone who does, please make a case here or via PM, and we'll go from there. I'm not in a rush to get rid of them, and I'd rather they go to a kid who 1) needs them and 2) would be super stoked to ski them. Unfortunately, I can't give away a pair of burly touring bindings to match the boots -- hopefully the kid has binders that are Gripwalk compatible.

    Maybe one of our shop mags like @gregL could help out with the broken boot board?

    If I can't find a good home for them, I'll figure something else out. But I'd love for this to work out.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    photos

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    6,078
    bravo. there should be more of this
    life ain't guaranteed, love your people while you can

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Winthrop, WA. Methow valley
    Posts
    993
    A collective tip of the hat to you. Will keep an eye out for a potential recipient

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kinda halfway twixt NH & CO
    Posts
    1,076
    excellent. That is the way to do it

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,612
    Every burly boot needs a burly ski to go along with it. If there is any interest on the side of whomever auvgeek selects I'll add a pair of 188 Rossignol RC112s (flat) drilled 1.5x for 916s to the deal. I'm not man enough to ski them well anymore and i'd like to see them get used by someone who will enjoy them. If there is a kid who needs a 140 flex boot they might well be able to do these skis justice as well.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Cackalacky
    Posts
    2,194
    props to you for doing this. if i didn't just get a new pair of hojis, i would throw my own name in the hat. i'll let you know if i think of anyone.
    you don't want no smoke.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    9,381
    I'll throw some iteration of 916s in if they take soul's skis.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    monument
    Posts
    5,891
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    TL;DR: I have a pair of 26/26.5 Lange XT3 140s (basically new but punched a lot) that I'd like to give to a kid who loves skiing but can't afford new boots.

    The good: The shells have been skied literally a couple runs, the liners are brand new. They walk like a touring boot and ski like an alpine boot. Best crossover boot I've tried, and I've tried lots.
    The bad: The shells have been punched extensively, mostly for width. Also, one of the stupid foam boot boards broke, and it needs to be replaced to ski them.
    (I'll spare you the boot-fitting saga, but they're just not wide enough to fit my stupid tailor's bunion and Morton's neuroma.) But hey, at least, they're free.

    I'd like to give them to a kid in high school who skis super hard, loves skiing, skis as much as possible, etc, but who isn't spancered & can't afford new boots. If you fit that description or know someone who does, please make a case here or via PM, and we'll go from there. I'm not in a rush to get rid of them, and I'd rather they go to a kid who 1) needs them and 2) would be super stoked to ski them. Unfortunately, I can't give away a pair of burly touring bindings to match the boots -- hopefully the kid has binders that are Gripwalk compatible.

    Maybe one of our shop mags like @gregL could help out with the broken boot board?

    If I can't find a good home for them, I'll figure something else out. But I'd love for this to work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    Every burly boot needs a burly ski to go along with it. If there is any interest on the side of whomever auvgeek selects I'll add a pair of 188 Rossignol RC112s (flat) drilled 1.5x for 916s to the deal. I'm not man enough to ski them well anymore and i'd like to see them get used by someone who will enjoy them. If there is a kid who needs a 140 flex boot they might well be able to do these skis justice as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I'll throw some iteration of 916s in if they take soul's skis.
    Whoa!
    Burly indeed!

    Excellent work, gentlemen.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bonedale
    Posts
    5,274
    Some more thoughts, partially as a mass response to PMs:

    1. I know it sucks for the broke college students out there, but I'd really prefer someone in high school cuz they're more reliant on their parents for money.

    2. Boots are a 97 mm last, and been punched maybe to 103 or so. Bootfitter couldn't make a ton of room because the plastic is thin and PU (as opposed to grilamid which takes a punch nicely). Or so I'm told.

    3. They're not a super burly boot. Weight is under 1700g. They're called a 140 flex, but I think we've confirmed it's the same shell as the XT3 130. I'd put them closer to the RS 120 than the RS130. Certainly not a true 140. I don't think an athletic teen will have any issues driving a reasonably playful ski (haven't skied the RC112 so no comment from me there).
    Last edited by auvgeek; 02-23-2021 at 09:16 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    photos

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Grandma's Basement
    Posts
    229
    Id like to help with this thread - Got a pair of XT Frees (26.5) that are not in the best of shape would would work well with a Kingpin or Tecton.

    Any JONGs needing a free set ideally in seattle - shoot me a PM
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fort Collins
    Posts
    388
    FWIW, you should be able to heat up all the punches and get the boot pretty close to its original shape.

    Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bonedale
    Posts
    5,274
    Bump for visibility.

    Surprisingly little response so far.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    photos

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alta
    Posts
    1,354
    Not exactly a poor teenager. But I can think of some lifties and other assorted dirt bags at Alta doing on garbage gear that could use these. One kid is touring on boots without a inside cuff bolt. No idea hope thatís possible but he does it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    3,241

    26.5 XT3 140 -- Free to *GOOD* Home

    Frankly, plenty of insider connections and pro deals floating around Alta of all places those dudes should be taken care of.

    If you need to go looking outside the community find a local, small hill bro in need. IMHO

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •