Thread: GTNP???

GTNP???

A 33-year-old Wyoming man skiing in Grand Teton National Park Monday was killed in an avalanche, at least the 32nd casualty this season.

Matthew Brien was leading a group of three to ski the Broken Thumb Couloir when the avalanche was triggered around noon, according to the National Park Service.

The avalanche swept Brien over the rappel and down for almost 1,000 feet, leaving him with “significant trauma,” officials said. The rest of his party called 911 and tracked down Brien, who was partially buried in snow and debris.

The group was able to free him and perform CPR, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The other members of Brien’s party were able to ski to safety.

Brien is now at least the 32nd person killed in an avalanche during the 2020-2021 season, according to the Colorado Avalanche Information Center. That follows 23 deaths last season and 25 each in the two prior seasons.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

vibes to all affected.
    swing your fucking sword.

Aggressive line, that’s a big wind slab when you are in kinda of terrain. Vibes

The wind comes down the south fork of Avalanche Canyon with a vengeance, cross loads the middle sections of the Broken Thumb and the upper Houdini. We figured that one out the hard way one year, triggering soft slabs with every turn, but in our case it was a free lesson as the slabs were only about 4" thick. So scary to watch the failure rip across the slope. High likelihood and low consequence for us; high consequence for him, sad to say.

Goddammit.

So this happened the day after a snowboarder died in an avalanche in GTNP? Damn

I heard there *might* have been another incident up there today.
    I hope not.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    So this happened the day after a snowboarder died in an avalanche in GTNP? Damn
    Odd that it was posted on MSN and from the NY Daily News.

Local report with better info.

https://buckrail.com/breaking-avalan...k-claims-life/
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I heard there *might* have been another incident up there today.
    I hope not.
    Avy report says it was a snowmachine near Mt. Leidy. Injuries that needed a SAR callout.

Phew. I was with two batallion chiefs when the call came out, knew it was something.

For clarity: Avy Deaths this season near Jackson...
    12/18/20 Snowmobiler in Snake river range south of JH about 45 miles
    2/17/21 " " " " "
    2/18/21 Snowboarder on Togwotee pass about 20 miles east of GTNP eastern border.
    2/22/21 Snowboarder in GTNP, Broken thumb/25 short

Name:  broken thumb rt.jpg
Views: 3547
Size:  96.2 KB

Today's sledder caught in a slide up around Mt. Leidy, sustained life threatening injuries, no mention of worse in the avy info.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    For clarity: Avy Deaths this season near Jackson...
    12/18/20 Snowmobiler in Snake river range south of JH about 45 miles
    2/17/21 " " " " "
    2/18/21 Snowboarder on Togwotee pass about 20 miles east of GTNP eastern border.
    2/22/21 Snowboarder in GTNP, Broken thumb/25 short

Name:  broken thumb rt.jpg
Views: 3547
Size:  96.2 KB

Today's sledder caught in a slide up around Mt. Leidy, sustained life threatening injuries, no mention of worse in the avy info.
    Djongo, One take away I see from the above incidents is our SAR teams (all voly) are being worked hard. Recreate with some vision and smarts and give our SAR teams a break!

Heard on the radio this morning that SAR has done more missions in the past 50 days or so than they did all last winter.

Stay safe friends, its not over yet.
    Live Free or Die