Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Miracle On Ice....

41 years ago today.
    Back when having pride in ‘Murica was ok, and showing it didn’t mean you are probably a racist.
    What a game.
    Last edited by rideit; 02-22-2021 at 04:43 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

“Legs feed the wolf”.....

I still remember where I was when this happened, the White Pine Lodge outside of Londonderry VT, I was on winter break from school.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Al Michaels still with the greatest call in sports, 4 decades later......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Isn’t it 41 years ago today? 2/22/1980

We had walked back to town from the 70 jump event and were outside of the stadium as the game was being played. Word of what was going on inside leaked out into the crowd. A rush of patriotism swelled through me and I shouted U!S!A!! U!S!A!! . Pretty soon the crowd around me picked it up and started shouting. U!S!A!! The cheer was picked up by those inside the stadium and the rest is history. That's how I remember it anyway.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Time fuckin flies buddeh

remember exactly where I was and who I was with. definitely one of those moments.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Time fuckin flies buddeh

remember exactly where I was and who I was with. definitely one of those moments.
    Never been filled with so much pride.

Wow, 40 years. Still remember my parents downstairs couch and console TV from that day.

Beating the Czechs, and beating the Finns in the gold medal game were no small feats either. (I wonder how many people think the game against the USSR was for the medal.)
    If you get a chance--the film Red Army is a great documentary about the Soviet hockey machine, including that game from their perspective. Looks like it's available on You Tube.

Maybe a party foul to make it about the movie, but that movie is a masterpiece

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoclave View Post
    Correct, oops

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Maybe a party foul to make it about the movie, but that movie is a masterpiece
    Yes it is. (The movie, not the party foul....)

Miracle On Ice....

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    We had walked back to town from the 70 jump event...
    Dude you got to see Eddie the Eagle?

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoclave View Post
    Details, shmetails.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I was a year out from being born but a couple personal experiences about the greatest sporting event in history. I still get goose bumps when I hear the Al Michaels call.

- my folks and older brother used to live in the same apt complex in Bloomington, MN as a lot of of the team while they were training. Pics of my bro playing with the guys in the pool.

- I worked at a hockey store in college, one Saturday afternoon we threw in the video of the full game, by the time the third period rolled around we had a crowd huddled around the tv watching the game a small cheer happened when it ended. This was 2001.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    41 years ago today.
    Back when having pride in ‘Murica was ok, and showing it didn’t mean you are probably a racist.
    What a game.
    what's up with a trollish fucked up political bullshit 2nd sentence?

if you're proud of the USA and sports, that was completely uncalled for

Are you a butthurt gravy seal who didn't get into the capitol???!!!

He's kinda saying the opposite, that it was a more naive time, but at least it seemed simpler. Nowadays if you cheer for the USA somebody will think you're one of the very people you're talking about. Back then it was possible to just be stoked about a win and to be proud of your country and wave the flag without people thinking you're a wannabe seditionist.

It’s the truth, it was merely an observation. If you ran down the street now screaming “USA USA” with a flag wrapped around you, everyone would just assume you were Maga or Q or something.
    Back Then we could be openly proud, and we had an enemy that wasn’t ourselves.
    That is all.

That game got my twin sister into hockey, and that got her a full ride at UVM as a goalie.

Back then flags flew mostly only on holidays instead of pick ups on parade so it was special. I traded some racoon pins with some Russian "Coaches" at the Nordic 50k for a Misha pin. I climbed to the start of the men's slalom course with a bottle peppermint schnapps to watch Maher. Perhaps I should say while I was draining a bottle of peppermint schnapps, Phil Maher skied by.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

That game got my twin sister into hockey, and that got her a full ride at UVM as a goalie.
    Goalie, huh. So the mental illness is a family thing.

I'm not a fan of chanting USA USA but not because I think someone will think I'm a MAGA. I just figure that when you're the biggest kid on the block and win the most medals and the most wars (although we've been on a losing streak for a while) and have the most Covid you should act with some humility. It's the people from the little countries who get to wrap themselves in their flag and chant the name of their country when they win. That's what made the Miracle on Ice so cool--we were big underdogs in that one so we had every right to chant. I also think taking vicarious pride in the accomplishments of athletes just because they live in one's country or play in one's city is pretty silly--but I do it all the time, like everyone else.

Anyone who wants to know what pride in one's country is supposed to look like should go watch Merrick Garland's confirmation hearing.

LOL, my 13 y.o. Is a goalie too, we drive thousands of miles a season for tournaments. Just drove Jackson-Gillette-Sheridan-Jackson this weekend.
    It can make you crazy...

Fuckin rooskies.
    "Can't you see..."

Vladislav fuckin Tretiak. I hated that guy almost as much as I hate Ken Dryden.