Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2021

Garden 2021

Anyone else have seedlings going yet?

About 3 weeks into this lettuce. Planning to start more lettuce and tomatoes this weekend, and plant carrots and snap peas in the great outdoors.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lettuce.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	648.9 KB 
ID:	364392

Nice Mike! too early for me though, I only jus' finished clearing teh ground for planting at the weekend, I reckon there'll be another deep freeze here in March and I don't plant out until 1st June anyways, late frosts get the young plants in May. Other jobs done-Pruned the vines back and tied um up, weeded, harvesting and storing firewood.

Still two feet of snow on my garden.

Just sorted through last years seeds to assess what we have, and ordered what we needed. Been putzing around the raised beds and taking stock of pots etc on some of the recent warmer days. Need to pickup a few items and get some of these seeds in dirt inside soon!

2 feet of snow still but we've got some peppers, tomatoes and onion starts going. Plus we are making what for us is a very long term commitment and we've got some asparagus starts that we just planted. In 4 years they will be ready to harvest. I'm putting the odds on our 10 seeds making it long enough to start seeding their own population at about 15%. And the odds of me accidently wiping them out with a weed eater at 20%.

Slow but stupid early start here in zone 5. Have started tomato's, jalapenos, few lettuces, ghost peppers will be next.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210222_170036.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	364437

Garden is a foot and a half under but there's garlic that I planted in November. Hopefully the strawberries in hanging bags wake up when they thaw. I was about to get the inside going when my wife broke herself and I got occupied. Hopefully after the surgery on Friday she'll start to feel better and I can get it going. If all goes right some stuff should be able to go in the ground in April.

Saw this recently - not sure of truth - can't have garden, but thought would pass along!?!?

Name:  144DD25D-C848-4043-AA6B-4C91953B64B6.jpeg
Views: 3068
Size:  118.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GimpToo View Post
    Saw this recently - not sure of truth - can't have garden, but thought would pass along!?!?

I don’t know shit about gardens, but: just another reason to support my “never do lawn work” mantra!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by GimpToo View Post

"resist the urge to clean up"

heh, they really don't know me at all, do they

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Lots o seed catalogs in the mail lately - Gurneys, Johnnies, BUrpee.....

One of the reasons we DO clean up is that the bad bugs also overwinter in debris. The main villain here is squash bugs.

On FB groups the new locals are restless, but the wise old locals keep telling them to cool their jets. We can't reliably put much into the ground before June, so starting seeds now makes no sense, since you'll just went up with a bunch of rootbound, leggy babies. We will prob get some greens and peas going in a month or so.

This year we're planning on further expanding, as we do every year. The big change will be to start a lot more stuff from seed, as we built a new sunroom and are finally ready to dedicate the time to keeping seedlings happy. It should show us to get varieties that aren't available in 4" pots, and should save a bunch of money.

If all goes well we'll need to buy a chest freezer, but last time I researched that I came up with a bunch of unreliable crap, so I might just look for an antique or something.

Sent from my SM-P610 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    One of the reasons we DO clean up is that the bad bugs also overwinter in debris.
    +1 yeah or I just clean up after harvest? Pests/pollinators find another place to bed down.
    As an aside, my honeybees are cozy tucked into their hives, not random garden mess - fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    If all goes well we'll need to buy a chest freezer, but last time I researched that I came up with a bunch of unreliable crap, so I might just look for an antique or something.
    We cold store most of the bulky things - onions, potatoes, carrots, beets, etc (consider a 'refrigerator only' if you can't do that). Got a 15' frigidaire chest freezer for $300 for the balance (and the processed stuff). So far so good. Don't wait til fall to buy.

Name:  IMG_9314.jpeg
Views: 2963
Size:  78.2 KB

Garlic in, fields put to bed with manure (in the fall). A few things start inside next month, but most everything goes in the main sowing memorial weekend ish.
    north bound horse.

Seeds are all purchased for this season - my smarter half remembered some of the shortages locally for seeds last year due to the COVID rush so this year the order was placed early.

We won't be starting anything inside for about another 3 weeks, but garden should be ready to accept the legumes and hardier leafs in early to mid-May. Low snow year at our elevation, so the ground might appear by the middle of March if the temp trends continue.

Ms Boissal went big this year, we're about to get started in this thing:

Name:	PXL_20210131_195852542.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	364492

Many new seeds have been purchased and a bunch of chickens have been supplying fertilizer for the garden all winter. Psyched for this season!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post

Many new seeds have been purchased and a bunch of chickens have been supplying fertilizer for the garden all winter. Psyched for this season!
    Cat wants you all to hurry up and leave so she can take a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Cat wants you all to hurry up and leave so she can take a shit.
    That then lounge in the sun afterwards. The dirt in the lower boxes is supposed to act as a heat sink (along with buckets of water on the other side) so she can poop in there all she wants...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post

Oh heck yea! Jealous of that. Been daydreaming about putting one in the backyard.

Nice. And a big ass light too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Anyone else have seedlings going yet?

About 3 weeks into this lettuce. Planning to start more lettuce and tomatoes this weekend, and plant carrots and snap peas in the great outdoors.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lettuce.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	648.9 KB 
ID:	364392
    We will have something similar in the Colorado high country. We have freezes into May so I get the seeds started indoors like yourself.

We mostly do sunflowers and herbs. The goddamn deer are relentless here.

Prep work on one side of the front yard. The better half is the gardener, I am just labour as needed. We've yanked the grass out of our front yard a few years back (this is half shown) and it's become our little farm. Also another corner plot in the backyard and strings of hops growing up the one side of the house. At this point we've got more garden/growing space than lawn/patio space.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post

Prep work on one side of the front yard. The better half is the gardener, I am just labour as needed. We've yanked the grass out of our front yard a few years back (this is half shown) and it's become our little farm. Also another corner plot in the backyard and strings of hops growing up the one side of the house. At this point we've got more garden/growing space than lawn/patio space.
    Lot more rewarding than cutting grass right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Lot more rewarding than cutting grass right?
    It's been several years now without lawn and yes it's more rewarding to pick veggies than cut useless lawn. We would get it get pretty feral between cuts, thankfully neighbours are behind hedges and no houses directly across the street.

Interesting times in MT because now we can grow the devil's lettuce legally. Hard to say if I really want to have to explain what it is to the 5 and 7 year olds, however.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Interesting times in MT because now we can grow the devil's lettuce legally. Hard to say if I really want to have to explain what it is to the 5 and 7 year olds, however.
    Yeah... Ima hold off until all the kids are out of the house (only 1 to go).