Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Garden 2021

That's at the top of my list for next year. Mmmm hatch chilies.

Tons of rain so far today and that much more still to come. My mountain gold tomatoes are huge and pulled the mass of plant over, hopefully the roots are still good and it recovers. Most other things are looking ok but I figured there will be a bunch on the ground in the morning. I'm pulling a half dozen or more maters every day now, good thing I eat them like popcorn.

Second planting stuff is all doing well but the germination rate was weak so there's space. I'll put in some things that are borderline on time but I pulled off the early planting this year so maybe I'll get an extended tail end.

Purple okra flower:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	messages_0.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	351.1 KB 
ID:	383427

First year growing the stuff, liking it a lot.
    Veggie murderer, about to meet its doom at the beaks of the chicken patrol!

Name:	messages_0 (1).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	362.8 KB 
ID:	383428
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

This little guy fell asleep on a mint flower, I woke him when I took the pic Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210823_123608.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	383439
    5" of rain between Friday morning and yesterday and I think the harden came through pretty well. A few split open tomatoes, a few plants that will hopefully like living in the ground rather than standing up and a bit of blight and mildew starting but so far it's pretty manageable.

Nice shot.

Anyone hear utilize a heated greenhouse throughout the winter? Above the 40th parallel..

Garden ripe tomatoes. OMG. Unfortunately I lost the tags in the jungle. I bought a grab bag including some heirlooms. This one variety makes me orgasm and I'll be lucky if I can ever grow it again. We had big meaty slices on the dinner plate as a side dish last night. They don't even really need S&P.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^^^^its matersmatter time
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Yup I'm pulling a handful of tomatoes every day now too. We're going out of town for 3 days this weekend so I figure there's gonna be a pile of 'em to pick on Monday. Today might have been the last big bean haul, rabbits are wrecking my fall bean crop First one is my first attempt at lima beans. I need to plant more plants next time.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210825_080307.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	383497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210825_080406.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	383496
    Strawberries are dying off so I'm pulling the berries and tossing them along the fenceline. Hopefully I end up with 30 feet of random strawberry plants next year. I've been tossing other bad stuff all year and have all sorts of things coming up. The hope is that the rabbits and squirrels find the bait more interesting than the garden. I'll also put out loads of brassicas planted densely 20 or more feet from the garden to draw those fucking ruinous cabbage worms away, I missed having fresh cauliflower and broccoli regularly this year.

Yesterday's haul, minus the zuccs which didn't fit on the table. Ms Boissal was out there filling a wheelbarrow when I came to her rescue.
    We're retiring from growing bell peppers after finally getting a few which are the same size as the stuff from the grocery store. Took us 5 years of effort!
    Can't say I recommend the microscopic tomatoes in the bowl, they're called yellow currants, quite tasty but more skin than pulp and bit too acidic. Picking them is heinous...

Name:	PXL_20210825_030328503.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	383507
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Beautiful! I'll get a tomato pic soon but expect way less diversity.

Any tips for supermarket grade peppers?!

Maters. Lost all my San Marzano's to mosaic. The cherry and grape tomatoes are doing well, the full size varieties are a bit small this year.

Name:	20210825_163902.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	383533

Onions. First time doing them. The ones I planted in the fall didn't make it so these were all planted early spring. Not impressed with their size.

Name:	20210825_142943.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	383535

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Beautiful! I'll get a tomato pic soon but expect way less diversity.

Not me. Bell peppers never reach supermarket size at my house. I figure a greenhouse and controlled nutrients is the answer.

"Onions. First time doing them. The ones I planted in the fall didn't make it so these were all planted early spring. Not impressed with their size."

Onions need plenty of N in order to make size, although that will negatively impact the keeping qualities. It probably would also increase the % of double centers.

The tomatoes look spectacular!

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Not me. Bell peppers never reach supermarket size at my house. I figure a greenhouse and controlled nutrients is the answer.

Another factor is sorting of a mass amount of peppers or other crop. Even the best commercial growers crops are heavily graded and sorted for quality, size, and color so what we see in the grocery store has been highly selected from a huge number of peppers, or other item.

Product that's not suitable for retail, the off-grades, are sent to processors or "choppers." Then these are used as ingredients in other foods such as instant potatoes or in a chicken pot pie for example.

Either I screwed up or the timing on everything is all messed up this year. I planted everything from seed other than a couple of plants that looked good and were things I didn't already have in the ground and so much isn't ready yet. Some things popped quickly and went nuts but tomatoes and peppers are taking their time ripening. I must have 200 green tomatoes and 50 melons that won't be ready for 1-6 more weeks. Beans were great and berries were and are still ok, in fact the raspberry bushes I put in this year that shouldn't be producing until next year set dozens of berries recently and they're flowering like mad now. Lettuce raged them bolted in the heat wave in June, potatoes were great until they weren't but I got about 10 pounds. The parsnips I planted in April aren't ready yet but the radishes I planted at the beginning of this month have already been pulled and were bigger than expected. Almost all of the Sunflowers sucked but other flowers are killing it and one Mexican Sunflower is 15 feet tall and the flower hasn't popped yet. A few of the pepper plants already produced, when I pulled those a bunch more popped so the plants are nicely primed right now.

It just feels like so much stuff is slow and some stuff may not finish in time.

None of mine reach supermarket size.

Don't tempt me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    "Onions. First time doing them. The ones I planted in the fall didn't make it so these were all planted early spring. Not impressed with their size."

Onions need plenty of N in order to make size, although that will negatively impact the keeping qualities. It probably would also increase the % of double centers.

The tomatoes look spectacular!

Yeah I've been fertilizing most of my plants this year specifically by species based on the recommendations on farmers almanac, so high N was used but probably way too lean. Will get more aggressive next time, my pride for proper size onions would outweigh the negative drawbacks lol. It's not like I'm doing this for the economy of it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Another factor is sorting of a mass amount of peppers or other crop. Even the best commercial growers crops are heavily graded and sorted for quality, size, and color so what we see in the grocery store has been highly selected from a huge number of peppers, or other item.

Product that's not suitable for retail, the off-grades, are sent to processors or "choppers." Then these are used as ingredients in other foods such as instant potatoes or in a chicken pot pie for example.
    Heh tell that to Boissal!

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Either I screwed up or the timing on everything is all messed up this year. I planted everything from seed other than a couple of plants that looked good and were things I didn't already have in the ground and so much isn't ready yet. Some things popped quickly and went nuts but tomatoes and peppers are taking their time ripening. I must have 200 green tomatoes and 50 melons that won't be ready for 1-6 more weeks. Beans were great and berries were and are still ok, in fact the raspberry bushes I put in this year that shouldn't be producing until next year set dozens of berries recently and they're flowering like mad now. Lettuce raged them bolted in the heat wave in June, potatoes were great until they weren't but I got about 10 pounds. The parsnips I planted in April aren't ready yet but the radishes I planted at the beginning of this month have already been pulled and were bigger than expected. Almost all of the Sunflowers sucked but other flowers are killing it and one Mexican Sunflower is 15 feet tall and the flower hasn't popped yet. A few of the pepper plants already produced, when I pulled those a bunch more popped so the plants are nicely primed right now.

It just feels like so much stuff is slow and some stuff may not finish in time.
    Last year my tomatoes had green fruit on them for over three weeks - I thought they were screwed but ended up having a great year, just later harvests. Melons are but a dream here. 10 lbs of potatoes is amazing. Yeah lettuce has been done here since the beginning of August, too damn hot. My broccolis have 1 inch centres.. My cabbages are not 'cabbaging' lol. Pumpkins not sending out female flowers. I could go on. That's gardening, from seed, in a constantly changing environment. Easy come easy go.

Been eating a lot of the garden lately.

Big peppers

Name:	A7A09E5C-CD31-40A7-B78D-D47A25F4F7DA.jpg 
Size:	477.8 KB 
ID:	383586

Basil, onions and tomatoes added to the mix.

Name:	9BBEDF6C-74F5-4919-9572-3773578271BA.jpg 
Size:	902.9 KB 
ID:	383587

Turned out well.

Name:	010F64F0-6EAB-4BC0-B69D-A99C2989609F.jpg 
Size:	617.2 KB 
ID:	383591

Did cream cheese, onion, cheddar, chives, stuffed Anaheim’s, wrapped in bacon for that perfection.

Name:	E449CA33-595F-49D6-9F78-30FDE44BFFB2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	670.9 KB 
ID:	383594

Didn’t have pics of the final product as it was ate too fast.

My stupid peppers are just starting to ripen, grabbed a few carolina reapers and scorpions.

Name:	2378F3E4-EBE5-4D51-9716-3228C81E232A.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	706.4 KB 
ID:	383595

I had a Hungarian hot wax pepper turn red. Never seen that before. The Hungarians are easy to grow here and I like them.

well i took a try at a couple "restaurant style" salsas with all my damned tomatoes.
    roughly 1lb tomatoes
    8 springs cilantro
    1 clove garlic
    half a medium white onion
    1 serrano (destemmed/deseeded for kids)
    1 Jalepeno (detemmed/deseeded)
    1 tbsp salt

blended the shit out of it with the cuisinart. Recipe called for simmer for 15 min with a little oil so I did that too.

2nd is same exact ingredients as above (all seeds stayed this time), but I roasted all the veg under the broiler for about 16 min. again, blend, but no cook this time as the veg was roasted.

Will take pics when I break them out this evening. They are chilling in the fridge.

Consistency of the simmered one looks slightly thin, but I didnt want to cook too much and boil off

The roasted consistency is very "restaurant style" lets hope they taste good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Veggie murderer, about to meet its doom at the beaks of the chicken patrol!

]
    need pics of said patrol....

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    I'd say dumb luck, I've never seen peppers like that and have been growing bells forever. Next year they'll probably be the size of a cherry tomato!
    I think Hopeless Sinner's comment is spot on. There are a lot of small or weirdly crooked peppers out there that never make it to the grocery store shelf and we're used to seeing the perfectly shaped giant ones only. I like the smaller uglier ones, they are great stuffed, you can eat them in 1 bite!

I had a Hungarian hot wax pepper turn red. Never seen that before. The Hungarians are easy to grow here and I like them.
    We have a couple red ones. They get less hot and taste slightly sweeter. I think all peppers eventually get to red if you wait them out. Half the shishitos this year are red, same for the jalapenos. Too hard to pick them in the jungle-garden!

I always wait for Hungarian Wax peppers to turn orange or red, they get sweeter. Same with Cubanelle but Cayenne gets hotter the redder it gets.

Based on store bought jar stuff I've found "restaurant style" salsa tends to mean it's more liquidy.. is that your goal/experience?

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I always wait for Hungarian Wax peppers to turn orange or red, they get sweeter. Same with Cubanelle but Cayenne gets hotter the redder it gets.
    We have some peppers right now which start green then go purple then orange then brown and finally red (buena mullata pepper). They're a roller coaster of mouth burning flavor with each color having a different heat level. Overall they're pretty tame but I didn't expect the orange ones being worse than the purple ones and I paid for it this morning after chopping up 3 into my eggs...