Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Is there any vegatable worth growing in smaller pots? I've got tons of ~ 1 or 2 gallon pots from previous hanging baskets at my disposal.
    Herbs and as Mr Mike was saying peppers. The smaller ones (eg Thai) don't get that big and still produce massively. If you line up pots along a trellis anything that likes to climb will do well (beans, peas).
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    in the 2 gallon, maybe potatoes. Fill the container about halfway, add seed potato, cover with a couple of inches and then add to the top over time as you mound up the potato.

Also, I think a hot pepper could be grown in that size container. Probably reduced yield, but that's not the worst result with those things. Sometimes production is a bit overwhelming IME.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Herbs and as Mr Mike was saying peppers. The smaller ones (eg Thai) don't get that big and still produce massively. If you line up pots along a trellis anything that likes to climb will do well (beans, peas).
    Perfect, thanks guys.

I was going to say snap peas. I’m trying them this year. Supposed to have a small root system and grow vertically with some trellis setup.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I was going to say snap peas. I’m trying them this year. Supposed to have a small root system and grow vertically with some trellis setup.
    Oh, man... there's nothin' better than fresh snap peas off the vine, straight into the food-hole. Mmmmm...

Last year SFB dug me up some hops rhizomes from his stash and I planted them, two strands came up and went nuts. This season around 20 strands have come up and are over head high already. Looking forward to these things becoming my vegetative fence insulating me from my neighbors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A428737C-81DF-44E2-82ED-7FD4943E97F8.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	949.3 KB 
ID:	373448

A few years ago when I started reclaiming half the back yard from the dogs my wife was at the forefront of the design. I got a bit over my skis taking over the project and she backed off and didn’t want much to do with it. I’m pretty pumped this year she’s back into it and putting in a nice little nook in our lower garden area. She’s been digging a fair bit and I think it’ll turn out pretty well.

I’ve also sworn off any large leaf plants this season, no pumpkins, squash, watermelons, cucumbers, etc. The last three years I’ve gotten schooled by squash bugs, those fuckers show up every year and decimate the good plants I’ll have growing. Last year I diligently scoured every leaf looking for eggs, duct taped their asses off every cluster I found. I still got annihilated, one pumpkin out of four plants, zero watermelons, two tiny musk melons, I got a lot of squash but it wasn’t worth the fight. I’m gonna give it a season or two before I try again.

Name:	A7340629-E6FC-4B14-8941-8F3CB78F9F0F.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	580.1 KB 
ID:	373450

not much going on yet but flowers

front bed starting to come into shape

^^Beautiful^^

Today was carrot soil prep day. ~3 hours of hand mixing coco, peat moss, garden soil, compost, sand etc for a super fine loamy blend. Made I'm guessing ~150 gallons worth so far, tomorrow will just need to process another 20 or so and be I'll be done with it. Cool and wet out, but it was sublime.

Things learned through gardening

I'm impatient
    I really dislike slugs and bugs
    Dirt is heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Wow!

What flowers are those? Pink bush is azaleas?

^^^ beautiful spread! Ms Boissal started 100s of flowers from seed in the greenhouse this year, her goal is something similar, huge splashes of color everywhere:

This is my current achievement, happy patio lettuce is happy:

Name:	PXL_20210506_145124452.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	373644

We have some of the purple leafy one (can't remember the type) growing out of cracks in the concrete of the back patio right now. I knew arugula was super invasive but didn't realize other lettuces would do the same. Psyched to have edible stuff growing out of all the nook and crannies!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

^^^ beautiful spread! Ms Boissal started 100s of flowers from seed in the greenhouse this year, her goal is something similar, huge splashes of color everywhere:

This is my current achievement, happy patio lettuce is happy:

Name:	PXL_20210506_145124452.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	373644

We have some of the purple leafy one (can't remember the type) growing out of cracks in the concrete of the back patio right now. I knew arugula was super invasive but didn't realize other lettuces would do the same. Psyched to have edible stuff growing out of all the nook and crannies!
    Got roundup?

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Got roundup?
    oooooofffff, hard pass on that one. round up is some evil shit.

Name:	PXL_20210502_155606214.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	373698

hot house tomatoes doing okay

Name:	PXL_20210502_155554039.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	373699

lettuce, arugula, basil, cabbage all up and happy

I was being facetious. Lettuce in sidewalk cracks? Nobody? Tough crowd I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I was being facetious. Lettuce in sidewalk cracks? Nobody? Tough crowd I guess.
    i'd eat it

i've eaten my fair share of mushrooms growing out of the sidewalk

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    i'd eat it

i've eaten my fair share of mushrooms growing out of the sidewalk
    Jeesh. So would I.

Any tips for slug control? Those bastards destroyed all my cabbage, cauliflower and about half my bok choy and celery last year. I tried sand, crushed egg shells, beer traps etc.

Willing to go nuclear this season if that's what it takes. Are the commercial slug baits any good?

Garden 2021

Had lots of issues with slugs in the past....used the beer traps....they are fun to just see just how many get trapped in the cups.....

I now use a slug product (Garden Safe Slug and Snail Bait) I found at Lowe’s/HD....it’s little pellets that u sprinkle around the plants u are trying to protect.....I now have no issues. So, I assume it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

our versions of "not much going on yet" must be different- that is straight up going off- Beautiful!
    for reference here in zone 1b, I have 6" chives and I am psyched
    skid luxury

Garden 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Any tips for slug control? Those bastards destroyed all my cabbage, cauliflower and about half my bok choy and celery last year. I tried sand, crushed egg shells, beer traps etc.

Willing to go nuclear this season if that's what it takes. Are the commercial slug baits any good?
    Oh man. I’ve gone to war with slugs. Beer traps don’t work, they just draw them into the garden and give them something to sip while they eat your shit.

Find where they are coming from by looking for the shiny slime trails. Then put slug bait in those areas and around the perimeter. Immediately assassinate any slugs you come across with a Rambo knife and be sure to say something tough “you’ve eaten your last strawberry PUNK!” Usually works best.

Look under logs, planter boxes, anywhere dark and moist they like to breed and live. Old buckets, bags of dirt/mulch.

Look for baby slugs and kill’em. They look like little white snots. I usually find them in my grass around the garden.

Lastly is a physical defense. Lava rocks surrounding problem areas, plant chives around certain areas. Chives are bombproof. Look up other scented plants slugs hate.

Godspeed

The pellets suck, if you want them dead use this shit, put a circle of it around your plants.

https://www.amazon.com/Deadline-Forc...s%2C307&sr=8-2

Been using it for years, I get a lot of those bastards. Put a circle out and the next morning you’ll find the battlefield littered with them.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    The pellets suck, if you want them dead use this shit, put a circle of it around your plants.

Been using it for years, I get a lot of those bastards. Put a circle out and the next morning you’ll find the battlefield littered with them.
    Nice. Is it safe around dogs though?

I use this with average success but it’s safe for pets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00N6...8OWEp13NParams

As efficient as it is I doubt it. If my dogs get through our multiple barriers to them visiting the garden they’re usually more, “Holy fuck, I can’t believe I’m in here!” They then proceed to tear ass through the beds destroying shit rather than eating poison.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    our versions of "not much going on yet" must be different- that is straight up going off- Beautiful!
    for reference here in zone 1b, I have 6" chives and I am psyched

I planted a row of chives three growing seasons ago. Two came up, both spindly and barely hanging on. One died the first year and the other got about three inches tall, a single stalk. Next year the live one came back and got about 8 inches tall, maybe 10-15 stalks and flowered beautifully.

This year that fucker is going big, probably two feet tall and way more stalks than I could dehydrate and eat in a few years. I’m looking forward to the flowers.

Name:	FDB36C35-EADB-4BA5-935F-D50A0ABE7762.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	373741

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Had lots of issues with slugs in the past....used the beer traps....they are fun to just see just how many get trapped in the cups.....

I now use a slug product (Garden Safe Slug and Snail Bait) I found at Lowe’s/HD....it’s little pellets that u sprinkle around the plants u are trying to protect.....I now have no issues. So, I assume it works well.
    Thanks, will try this. Amazing if it works that well.

Oh man. I’ve gone to war with slugs. Beer traps don’t work, they just draw them into the garden and give them something to sip while they eat your shit.

Find where they are coming from by looking for the shiny slime trails. Then put slug bait in those areas and around the perimeter. Immediately assassinate any slugs you come across with a Rambo knife and be sure to say something tough “you’ve eaten your last strawberry PUNK!” Usually works best.

Look under logs, planter boxes, anywhere dark and moist they like to breed and live. Old buckets, bags of dirt/mulch.

Look for baby slugs and kill’em. They look like little white snots. I usually find them in my grass around the garden.

Lastly is a physical defense. Lava rocks surrounding problem areas, plant chives around certain areas. Chives are bombproof. Look up other scented plants slugs hate.

Godspeed

Yeah, reading garlic is another good one that they hate. I'm done with manual slug hunting though. Last year in the peak of the summer I went out out every night tracking them down for just under three weeks straight, in my case it just seemed so hopeless. Made no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post

, looks like it's not available here.

Damnit Canada, another product not available here.

thanks all.

And Props to the chive lovers. This, and rhubarb are the easiest no maintenance no fuss no muss plants in my yard. There's a chive patch on this property that has been in place for over three decades. Pretty sure the rhubarb is a similar vintage.