Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2021

Thanks Mud.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Zone 5b? When's your last frost date?
    Mid May

Ms Boissal veggie cave is going off! She's also starting a ton of flowers this year, something about turning the front yard into a cottage garden which involves massive amounts of perennials. I barely go in there, it's too intimidating:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210408_155055741.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	370879

BTW, Mr. Mike, the lettuce seeds never arrived, I feared they got last in transit. Freaking post office getting in the way of my leafy greens.
    Sorry about that, I was excited to grow more varieties, I think we have a few growing but nowhere near as many as we could have
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Name:	PXL_20210408_015259204.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	370880
    lawn is killed

hoop house is coming along

water system is next

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post

lawn is killed

water system is next
    I like the way you roll, man...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I like the way you roll, man...
    Ditto! Envious of both those above setups

Seedlings are going crazy inside. Got peas, radish, beets, spinach in the ground. Rhubarb popping back up along with raspberries. Love this time of year!

lawn is killed

water system is next
    Holy shit man. Amazing. Your fencing seems a bit weak though. Rabbits and deer may treat that like Ol’Country Buffet.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Holy shit man. Amazing. Your fencing seems a bit weak though. Rabbits and deer may treat that like Ol’Country Buffet.

no deer thankfully

the fence is so that the dogs don't shit in the garden

when we have more disposable income we'll upgrade our fence, but for now, the priority is garden and patio. and maybe a gazebo thingy too.

no deer thankfully

the fence is so that the dogs don't shit in the garden

when we have more disposable income we'll upgrade our fence, but for now, the priority is garden and patio. and maybe a gazebo thingy too.
    700E makes a good barrier for deer.
    Damn dude, you went all out. That is a massive amount of real estate! The home-made cold frame looks dope, what are you going to cover it with?
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I've got a bunch of hours of cleaning up, setting up, amending soil, building new beds and finally a bit of planting. It's been so warm here for the last 5 weeks that the soil is all warmed up and dry the first inch or so, so after spending all that time getting it together I started planting. I've pretty much only put in cold weather hardy stuff and it's (almost) all from seed other than 8 heads of lettuce so it should definitely be warm enough by the time they germinate and pop through the soil surface. I'm also pretty confident that we saw our last frost already even though that was almost 4 weeks early. Anyway, I'm looking forward to some fresh veggies in 10 weeks or so

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I'm also pretty confident that we saw our last frost already even though that was almost 4 weeks early. Anyway, I'm looking forward to some fresh veggies in 10 weeks or so
    Quoting for posterity. Don't feel bad, we've all made this exact mistake before, some more than once.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Hah! Yep. I was puttering in the yard earlier this week, and was looking at a bed, and thought, 'hey, maybe I can take some compost and turn it in now. Snow's been off the ground for almost 2 weeks now'. Took the fork and 20cm down hit the ice lens. The oldtimers here wouldn't seed or transplant into open soil until the last half of May. We can get away with the first half of May now, but certainly not early Apr! Forecast to go to -9C tomorrow night. There was still a foot of snow on the ground this time last year. Patience!

edit tgapp damn you have a field!

Gardens getting that re up. 4 yards. Took two days to bring to the back and distribute. I look forward to when the pain surpasses lol.

Name:	20210408_142722.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	371062

^^ Heh, I have that same wheelbarrow. It's not standing the test of time well. The plastic tub has cracks in it and one of the handles snapped off when it rotted through. I have the best hoopty wheelbarrow on the block

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Quoting for posterity. Don't feel bad, we've all made this exact mistake before, some more than once.
    I'm pretty into long range weather forecasting and I just don't see any more significant winter weather ahead around here, if I'm wrong it's just a few seeds and I'll plant again. Our winter was short and sweet but when it ended it ended with a bang, the temps shot right up and things dried out and warmed up in a big hurry. I have soil temp of 50* at 10" down already and it's hovering between 52-55 at 2", that's planting time. For the most part I fertilized and composted back in November while it was still warm so when I turned the beds in early March they were almost ready other than it being too cold. For warm weather plants like tomatoes and peppers they'll wait until late April before going in the ground.

^^ Heh, I have that same wheelbarrow. It's not standing the test of time well. The plastic tub has cracks in it and one of the handles snapped off when it rotted through. I have the best hoopty wheelbarrow on the block

I'm pretty into long range weather forecasting and I just don't see any more significant winter weather ahead around here, if I'm wrong it's just a few seeds and I'll plant again. Our winter was short and sweet but when it ended it ended with a bang, the temps shot right up and things dried out and warmed up in a big hurry. I have soil temp of 50* at 10" down already and it's hovering between 52-55 at 2", that's planting time. For the most part I fertilized and composted back in November while it was still warm so when I turned the beds in early March they were almost ready other than it being too cold. For warm weather plants like tomatoes and peppers they'll wait until late April before going in the ground.
    I'm going to wait at least another week, but compost goes in and mixed tomorrow

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I'm going to wait at least another week, but compost goes in and mixed tomorrow
    I like to get the compost in early so it does its mixing thing more evenly and doesn't overwhelm any particular spot in the bed. We didn't get any late season snow (at all) though and very little rain so I had to turn them twice to get it mixed well. I think they're mature enough now that I won't have to turn them next year just top dress.

I like the two wheel set up but yeah it doesn't seem very sturdy. Wasn't my choice, this is what my insurer provided after my last wheelbarrow was smoked by a car.

I too will roll the dice and get started planting early, just salad greens from seed so if it doesn't work out it's no big deal. Tons of peppers and tomatoes going inside, won't risk those.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Ms Boissal veggie cave is going off! She's also starting a ton of flowers this year, something about turning the front yard into a cottage garden which involves massive amounts of perennials. I barely go in there, it's too intimidating:

BTW, Mr. Mike, the lettuce seeds never arrived, I feared they got last in transit. Freaking post office getting in the way of my leafy greens.
    Sorry about that, I was excited to grow more varieties, I think we have a few growing but nowhere near as many as we could have
    well that blows. I definitely mailed a couple of weeks ago. Had 4-5 different varietals in there too and a return address, so must have been destroyed or mis-delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    I like the two wheel set up but yeah it doesn't seem very sturdy. Wasn't my choice, this is what my insurer provided after my last wheelbarrow was smoked by a car.

I too will roll the dice and get started planting early, just salad greens from seed so if it doesn't work out it's no big deal. Tons of peppers and tomatoes going inside, won't risk those.
    Your wheelbarrow is insured?

Man, Canada is one helluva country.

Had a car fly through my fence, so had an insurance claim on my house insurance for the fence, tree damage, and yes - they covered the smashed wheelbarrow.

Had a car fly through my fence, so had an insurance claim on my house insurance for the fence, tree damage, and yes - they covered the smashed wheelbarrow.
    Oh. Well when you put it that way sounds like America.

edit tgapp damn you have a field!

Gardens getting that re up. 4 yards. Took two days to bring to the back and distribute. I look forward to when the pain surpasses lol.

Name:	20210408_142722.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	371062
    that's about what mine looks like. we had foundation issues so they dug under the house to put in the pilings and left big mounds or dirt. about to get started on forming it into something atractive again
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

@skidog - It looks like I might have missed on the no significant winter weather ahead, Thursday night/Friday I could get 4-5 inches. At least it looks like no hard freeze, temps might not even get below freezing.

I'm gonna try to lay out a bed for corn tomorrow while the ground is good and wet from the inch of rain yesterday then let the snow settle it. I was only sorta successful with corn last year because my patches were too small and the wind beat up the stalks when they got to about 5 feet tall. I'm hoping to get about 10x20 but my yard is pretty rocky. How many cubic yards of soil would I need to cover that 6" thick?

@skidog - It looks like I might have missed on the no significant winter weather ahead, Thursday night/Friday I could get 4-5 inches. At least it looks like no hard freeze, temps might not even get below freezing.

I'm gonna try to lay out a bed for corn tomorrow while the ground is good and wet from the inch of rain yesterday then let the snow settle it. I was only sorta successful with corn last year because my patches were too small and the wind beat up the stalks when they got to about 5 feet tall. I'm hoping to get about 10x20 but my yard is pretty rocky. How many cubic yards of soil would I need to cover that 6" thick?
    I'm planning on turning beds this week with compost and planting this weekend. I agree we are past any cold snaps. This one coming Thursday, even north won't bother my location. Grass is going off I have to mow this weekend too.
    Springs here fellas and gals. Looking forward to seeing harvests. I'm a total newbie, but my dad's been going strong a good bunch of years so I got some local knowledge, and hell it's black dirt NY. If I can't figure it out here, I'm fucked.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app